The Future of Fashion?

You can imagine my "hunt" for Comme's perfumes before Guerrilla:-), buying untested...

i'd be curious to know what you think of the perfumes, ngth. which ones did you try and did you like them?

from icon magazine's 21 most influential things that are changing the contemporary design landscape, also what everyone will be copying in the immediate future.

Rei Kawakubo

While some say Rei Kawakubo is no longer the cutting edge of fashion design, she with her fashion label Comme des Garcons is one of the most savvy cultural figures around, blending the instincts of a svengali with an artistic vision of integrity. With an instinctive understanding of retail environments, she also understands how to hybridize clothes, furniture and architecture, working towards a trans-disciplinary position, finding new contexts and ways of mixing the ephemeral and the cultural.

Sixty-three-year-old Kawakubo is from Tokyo, and studied philosophy before starting Comme des Garcons in 1973. Her deconstructed clothes reimagined conventional silhouettes and treated clothing as a series of tectonic elements, despite the fact that Kawakubo, untrained in fashion, communicated only verbally with her designers and pattern-cutters.

However, Comme des Garcons has become much more than a fashion label. Future Systems’ designs for stores in Tokyo, New York and Paris set a new standard for event shopping. But while Prada and others went on to trump them with ever more monumental projects, Kawakubo stepped sideways, founding “guerilla” stores throughout Europe – temporary, found-space retail units in cities such as Ljubuljana, Berlin, Barcelona and Helsinki. The aesthetic is largely defined by the tastes of the independent franchise holders, giving the stores an uncontrived feel. They are part of a viral approach unique for such an established brand. It has already been (badly) copied by firms such as Kangol.

Kawakubo has moved from designer to curator, taste-maker and entrepreneur with her collaborations with super-chic Paris boutique Collette and iconic mod label Fred Perry, and the Dover Street Market store in London.

Entropy

Entropy, as anyone who read chapter seven of Stephen Hawking’s A Brief History of Time will know, is the scientific principle stating that all systems become increasingly chaotic with time. In other words, it describes nature’s abhorrence of uniformity.

In design, entropy can be used as an umbrella term to describe the increasing number of practitioners exploring ways of introducing chaos, decay and error into their work.

Swedish outfit Front allow hamsters to nibble their wallpaper and encourage boa constrictors to make indentations into their clay coat pegs. Joris Laarman is experimenting with moulds that quickly wear out, meaning the ceramic vases within them become increasingly degraded. Tom Dixon has produced coffee cups from natural fibre wear down with washing.

This trend can be seen as a deliberate reaction against the modernist pursuit of timelessness and perfection, and the absolute precision of digital design and mass production. Already, computer-based designers such as Future Factories are experimenting with digital entropy, developing algorithms that lead to a degree of unpredictability in the final (computer-manufactured) object.

http://www.icon-magazine.co.uk/issues/021/influential_5.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
My first blind buy was Odeur71, then Harrisa and Rose, Kyoto. Then others follow. I have quite a bit and wear them almost everyday. I also like the "bad boy" Tea, Garage :-)

I even have one of the Cologne Series (Vettiveru) and I'm wearing it today:-)

well what it is saying about avertial world is semi true there was this article in the paper that was saying there is this webiste were you have a vertial world. You have a job and make money and everything. You buy credits to buy things with this man bought a vertial island for half a million dollers and it doesnt even exsist. The man who created the site is like a multi millionare now or something. It was kinda scary that people would go to these kengths.

I dont think those things posted in the orginal article will ever happen in any of our lifetimes. But maybe in the future future who knows ??
I think we as a nation generally have a bit of a phobia of technology we all like omg !!
but technology has the ability to do loads of great things but i can also be used for bad things.

totaly random but does anyone remember that old 60's tv show space 1999 its so funny that people thort we' live like that. we are now 6 years ahead of that and non of that stuff ahs happend yet.

Computerized Clothes Make the Person at MIT
http://www.eeproductcenter.com/analog/review/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=163703341

EXCERPT:
"

A recent fashion show at the MIT Media Lab combined things of beauty with rules of math. There was a weighted inflatable dress powered by a hacked vacuum cleaner, a purse designed using a Russian theory of inventive problem solving and a necklace made from 125-volt fuses. Other highlights: sneakers embedded with sensors and a shoulder-covering shrug wired like the vintage electronic game "Simon." ..."

tiamaria said:
well what it is saying about avertial world is semi true there was this article in the paper that was saying there is this webiste were you have a vertial world. You have a job and make money and everything. You buy credits to buy things with this man bought a vertial island for half a million dollers and it doesnt even exsist. The man who created the site is like a multi millionare now or something. It was kinda scary that people would go to these kengths.

interestingly enough ... my boyfriend works for the company i believe you are talking about. here's the link. it's under a great deal of development (there are many technological limitations), but it's quite interesting, bc he tells me that they have fashion and architecture people in mind. for example, you can design your own clothing and buildings.

travolta, thanks for the extremely interesting link to icon's 21 most influential article :flower:

interestingly enough ... my boyfriend works for the company i believe you are talking about. here's the link. it's under a great deal of development (there are many technological limitations), but it's quite interesting, bc he tells me that they have fashion and architecture people in mind. for example, you can design your own clothing and buildings.

yeah thats the one !! :flower:

tott said:
As far as incorporating technology into clothes, I'm all for it! But I can't take a jacket which incorporates mp3-player, mobile phone and so on seriously unless it's included in the weave somehow and will connect to your stuff. If you need to wear this particular jacket in order to listen to music or make a phone call, it sucks. If the mp3-player and phone are removable and work on their own, what's the point of the jacket?

the wires may not be incorperated into the weave of the material but they are connected throughout the garment so that you dont have to deal with them getting all tangled. and your can remove the phone and mp3 but this is so you are able to wash the garment.

the main thinking behind the garment was that if you are listening to your music you cannot hear your phone but they incorperated the two so that when the phone rings it would inturupt the music allowing and ring through your headphones so that you would not miss your call. which includes both of the devices being easily opperated by one remote.

it does seem abit trivial i agree but it just shows how they are creating things to make our lives easier and so that we dont miss calls:wink:

i think this jacket would be best for ski instructors and ourdoor types who love their music and need to keep in touch it does have a small target audience though.

seems like its all over the place, everyone is talking abut this new hi tech trend in garments , here extracts from yesterday's New Scientist :flower
Fashion industry covets 'iPod factor'
09:45 04 June 2005
Technology Trends report from New Scientist Print Edition
Paul Marks
CAN you imagine putting your address book and photo album on in the morning along with your socks? Or how about using a "3D printer" to make your own shoes on demand? How about clothes peppered with plastic LEDs that let you change the fabric's pattern at will? These are just some of the bizarre predictions coming from an unlikely research partnership between the London College of Fashion (LCF), based in London's übertrendy Soho district, and the staid UK telecoms firm BT.

The stupendous success of the Apple iPod has proved that technology can also be fashionable. So the race is on to bring iPod-like ease of use and compelling functionality to the clothes we wear, says Sandy Black, a fashion researcher at LCF.

"The iPod has given a real kick-start to the idea of wearable technology," she says. "There are already skiing jackets with iPod control switches built into the sleeve material, for instance. So with BT and others we are investigating technologies the fashion industry can harness to meet consumers' heightened expectations."

“People can take all their photos and music with them, invisibly built into their clothes”
Fuelling this effort is the fact that one of the biggest obstacles to making wearable electronics viable is about to disappear. Ian Pearson, BT's futurologist at its research lab near Ipswich, Suffolk, says advances in organic electronics - conducting and semiconducting plastics - are finally going to allow gadget-stuffed garments to handle that most violent of environments: the automatic washing machine. :D

here the link to the full article > http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7468

I always dream of fabrics that could "clean" themself:-)))

there you go ngth, all your dreams coming true :D

In understand that I keep reviving these 'old' threads, but, they are very interesting.

It is also fascinating how far fashion and technology have come since the publication of this article, only three years ago!

Zaha Hadid, where are you?

oh god, this thread is OLD but such a TREASURE. now, i got to read through this all over again...

I thought this was interesting & having these particular fashion insiders express their opinions brought a somewhat different perspective than the usual suspects do to the topic.

source | scanned by MMA from Bon International S/S 2010

maybe the fragments of the future are everywhere, but it takes some time for them to be incarnated as the future.
they are waiting for their complement to come. so some of them can be looking even like old things already.
or they may first appear as expensive useless stuff without being recognized as the future, just like some of CCP inventions do. but curiosity and sacrifices are necessary so that the future can start and develop.
also it can come from a sheer personal viewpoint. so the universality of it cannot be noticed soon.
the last time a designer named maurizio altieri very quietly presented his collection which partly dealt with the
future, the buyers did not order anything from the future line. the work is yet to see the light of the day.
that's usually the way we advance. we hardly leap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn varenne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->