The Ownership of Creativity...

helena said:
is there not pressure on Bush in the US to do something about this? or did i make that up?

uh, the "something" I think you are talking about is to finally allow the wholly "free" people of The United States of America, the greatest country in the world, no the Universe! "Allow" us, *maybe*, to buy perscription drugs at sane prices from Canada, but its still being debated.

http://www.consumerwatchdog.org/healthcare/nw/nw004672.php3

Bush's campaign to fight aids as far as I can tell, is a general call for abstinence and banning gay marriage.

http://www.ucsusa.org/global_environment/rsi/page.cfm?pageID=1356

:P Im way off topic. It must almost be 5 o'clock!

Last edited by a moderator:
faust said:
I think it's even more irresponsible with the patent laws, where everyone is trying to patent everything and thus discourages and monopolizes important scientifice and pharmacutical developments (Bristol-Mayers, for example, claims that their researchers are unable to pursue 50(!) potential avenues for finding cure for cancer, because of patent holding by other entities).

Tell me about it .:cry:

And while we're at it ,

Basmati Rice anyone ?

ONLY if you pay the tithe to Monsanto !!!

vroooom..!!!!
whooooooooosh!!!!....

that went right over my head kit... :lol:

erm...and did i say dessimate?...i meant decimate...whoopsy... :innocent:

then you didnt read the article I linked about patenting food (like basmati rice 9 )

why were you shattered btw?

exhausted...busy...tired...only got through first few sentences of the article...

trend

I heard that designers meet every season, discuss and come up some ideas for the next season, a trend is just made by them of what hit items should be designed. I totally believe now as look at the AW05-06 men shows..."the flower thing" appears in different designers shows and I don't think it's a coincidence or a real trend that without the "seasonal meeting" of the designers...

we have a topic on this...
i will link the two...

amchan...where is this meeting supposedly taking place and where did you hear this?...:ermm:

softgrey said:
amchan...where is this meeting supposedly taking place and where did you hear this?...:ermm:

I read a magazine (forget which magazine) talking about that...a "trend" is made up by designers every season...so that there are items that become "best buy"...for example some seasons you see lots of animal prints, some seasons you see lots of flora prints...etc, people think that "oh...see many designers think this and that will be trendy next season...", but of coz the designers don't read other's mind, like AW05-06...this kinda "flower thing" is surely not a common design...if designers didn't discuss about it...how come they have the same idea in a same season?
and the magazine didn't mention about where is this kinda meeting held...but surely this kinda meeting does not invite any media to attend...

amchan ...i think you should read the rest of this thread about the trend and colour forecasting agencies...

designers are competitors...they do not get together and decide to do anything...
they try to outsmart one another... and each wants to make the most money for themselves...they don't have any secret meetings...

honestly believe that every design in fashion is an interpretation of an existing idea. I have no problem with this. designers are not here to reinvent the trouser, the wheel or anything else. I just wish there were some stronger protection against exact copies or copies with very minimal changes. But thats going to exist because America has a market for copies. Look at the apparel company ABS. They watch every award show, sketch every important dress before the award show is over, they make the pattern source the fabrics all within about 6 hours of the award show. The hit the market with exact designer copies for people who dont care one bit about this idea of theft. But that will always exist as long as there is a market. Somehow, the laws protect authors from having their ideas (their books) plagiarized. Writers like Jayson Blair formerly of the New York Times become scandalized for copying word for word the work of other reporters. He was fired. But no "designers" that I know of get fired for copying designs stitch for stitch.

softgrey said:
amchan ...i think you should read the rest of this thread about the trend and colour forecasting agencies...

designers are competitors...they do not get together and decide to do anything...
they try to outsmart one another... and each wants to make the most money for themselves...they don't have any secret meetings...

I know the existence of trend forecast agencies...but really don't know how detail they usually come up..., sometimes items of different designers are so similar that it's not just a trend, but seems the exact product produced.:doh:
by the way, just wonder if the trend/colour agencies have the power to lead the fashion industry? if so...then even designers follow the agencies' forecast...it's a sad thing indeed...

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
faust said:
In fashion, for example, the Antwerp Six clothes was incredibly fresh and different, yet they always said how they were inspired by Rei, Yohji, etc. So, it's not like they made something from zero. They took what they were taught, applied their own talent, and the peculiarity of their countries cultuer, and BAM - beautiful clothes ^_^

But let me say,that "inspired" doesn't always mean the work itself. More so,the spirits and the way those two worked.

Actually,the "Six" were just beginning when those two were starting to make waves. So I don't think they were so much heavily influenced by them. The media however,they make up their own comparisons.

The Belgians and the Japanese are definitely kindred spirits though. Both have this undying approach to think for themselves and use their own imaginations. They take things that are traditional,classical or whatever but its never directly influenced by anybody. Designers,I mean. Patti Smith is another story :D

:innocent: Maybe it would have been a good thing had only one designer held the copyright for ponchos (just kidding). I believe that in graphic design, the 10% rule applies - you have to change the image at least 10% for it not to be considered intellectual theft.

softgrey said:
i completely understand...that is how i understand it...thanks...
from what i remember ...there is actually a specified percentage that has to be different...in order for it not to be considered a copy...i don't remember what the number is though...

but you are right...the rampant copying of a basic idea is really what's taking place...not so much the exact duplication of garments...i do see the difference...

i'm curious to know how much you have to change...for example...if you do the exact garment but just change the buttons or the colour...i don't think that is enough...but what if it's the same but one has sleeves and one doesn't?...where is the line drawn...? :unsure:

it has to be at least 30% different, i don't know how much you have to change for an actual product, but in graphic design or illustration (since you have to have a drawing first), 30% is just about change the tone, pattern, or photoshop the image a little bite. one of my prof said "simply by mirroring an image or change the angle of it can be consider 10-12% different."
Plus, design drawing and blueprint is the most powerful evidence when you face copyright problems.

so, i guess i can be as original as some big name designer by:
1. Pick a design of a)old design b)dead-designer c)foreign designer
2. Pick a different a)colour scheme b)fiber c)pattern or print
3. Make ONE different cut
4. To be super intellelligent, i might as well as combine two designs

Scott said:
Actually,the "Six" were just beginning when those two were starting to make waves. So I don't think they were so much heavily influenced by them. The media however,they make up their own comparisons.

The Belgians and the Japanese are definitely kindred spirits though. Both have this undying approach to think for themselves and use their own imaginations. They take things that are traditional,classical or whatever but its never directly influenced by anybody.

my dear Scott, the Belgian school started way later than the 'japanese invasion' there is no question that they were extremely influenced by the Japanese esthetics...

copy laws are too hard to apply on fashion design,
just a change of a button will 'justify' some kind of 'originality' to the copy..
so its a bit useless really.

latest developements include fabrics which will be guarded against copying by use of a new technology based on 'invisible' barcode detection on fabrics coming out from factories.

I know the existence of trend forecast agencies...but really don't know how detail they usually come up..., sometimes items of different designers are so similar that it's not just a trend, but seems the exact product produced.:doh:
by the way, just wonder if the trend/colour agencies have the power to lead the fashion industry? if so...then even designers follow the agencies' forecast...it's a sad thing indeed...

trend offices are doing a very detailed work, down to design quidelines, fabrics, colour combinations, patterns, finishings, and decoration details, so yes, they influence a lot the shaping of the global fashion industry, including designers work.
and of course trend offices have the power to lead the fashion industry, thats why they are there for, to keep things together give guidelines to fabric & garment manufacturers and inspire the mass market .
what is really annoying is to see that apart from the mass market -which lawfully should follow trend quidelines- supposedly 'creative' designers are following the trend offices instead of leading them, this IS sad but it's a fact which demonstrates luck of originality and creativity really.

i have access to the full range of books from two of the strongest trend offices in the industry, you'd be amazed to see the relations between trend books and BIG designers' collections...
others that follow trend office services : decoration, cosmetics and even the car/automobile industries.. just about everything even losely based on trends and esthetics.

I have a question about the color trend. Who decides the "in" colors in every season? Trend forecast companies or International Color Consortium (ICC)? I heard that the members of ICC meet each year to discuss the color trend for 2 years later. Fashion designers take ICC's color recommendations and set the color combo in their designs.

Lena said:
latest developements include fabrics which will be guarded against copying by use of a new technology based on 'invisible' barcode detection on fabrics coming out from factories.

:shock: Can you elaborate on that? It would be very useful for one of my classes. Do you have any articles?

i agree about the belgians lena...and it is a widely recognized fact that the group of designers coming out of belgium at that time cited the japanese as a major influence in their own work...i've read it over and over...

this has recently become even more relevant in my life...as i may need to protect my own work and my ideas...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->