Do you think some designers are overpriced?

fashionista-ta said:
^ Just because something would make Paris Hilton unhappy, doesn't mean we need it ... :P :wink: B)

True :smile: But it's still nice for 'normal' people to treat themselves to nicer things. I agree with Ocean though, I wish they did better quality. I have a pair of louboutins where the leather is starting to split after only 5-6 times wearing them. :doh:

Guessgirl96 said:
True :smile: But it's still nice for 'normal' people to treat themselves to nicer things. I agree with Ocean though, I wish they did better quality. I have a pair of louboutins where the leather is starting to split after only 5-6 times wearing them. :doh:

Exactly, and better prices would help facilitate that :wink:

:o If you bought those from a store, I would raise holy hell ...

Thats true ^^ But at the same time, if they were priced like steve madden or aldo then everyone would be wearing them and I dont think they would be considered as much of a "treat" to yourself and something special. But I do wish the prices were more justified with better quality. My main selling point is the look of the shoes and attention to detail, I haven't found the quality to be significantly better.

I got the louboutins from neimanm marcus, but it's been about 3 months since I've purchased them so I dont think theres much I can do now. It's only about a 2-3mm little "cut" but it may continue to split.

Yes, exclusivity and pricing for exclusivity has a lot of fans here, I know. The problem is that money doesn't really get you a better class of people (thus "nouveau riche"). Taste is, always has been, and as far as I can tell, always will be exclusive.

I do not buy into the "I'm charging $$$$ because I am Mr/Ms XYZ VIP and I can get away with it" theory. I think pricing should be a reflection of quality, style, and I also accept the cost of advertising, but that's it. This is why I don't own any designer costume jewelry. Not only would I pay to get gold CCs off my neck if I found them there, but you can buy fine jewelry (either antique or indy designer) for the price of high-end designer costume, so there's just no way I can justify it.

I do think Louboutin's quality in general is in keeping with its price tier. And I wouldn't let that stop me, if you've only worn the shoes 5 or 6 times and they're breaking, Neiman's needs to stand behind its reputation as a top-notch retailer.

I definaltey agree pricing should be a reflection of quality. I dont think I've really worn enough high end and low end shoes to see a major difference, so I cant really say which are worht their price and which arent. I've had good experiences and bad experiences with both. I remember at about 12 I had this pair of steve madden boots, I wore them everyday for 3 years until my mom through them away cuase she hated them, they held up very very well though. I buy designer shoes for the look, and I like how it's typically different from what I see everyone else wering, so I guess it's worth it to me :smile:

On the NM subject, what could they do? Should I just call and complain, or can they fix them? I dont want a refund since I still love the shoes.

^ I'm not sure what they can do, you gotta ask them :D All the stores have a shoe repair they work with. That's how I got my guy, asked Saks for a recommendation. Did you buy them online or at the store?

In a business sense, no they are not overpriced - because people still buy them.

In fact it could be argued that the shoes that sell out fast, and/or have a waiting list are underpriced.

It's all about the supply and demand curve: The higher the demand, the higher the price and the lower the demand, the lower the price. The higher the supply, the lower the price and the lower the supply the higher the price.

Designer shoes have both factors against us - high demand and low supply will always keep the price high.

fashionista-ta said:
Do you have a store near you?

Unfortunaltey I dont. I really doubt it can be fixed, or else I'd maybe try to get them to pay for the repair? I'm not sure if thats something that they do, I'm quite new to most of this. I dont think there is anything that can be done in this situation, but I appreciate your thoughtfullness :blush:

I would at least call the customer service number, or chat with them online (I seem to remember using that feature before ...). I'm sure they would be thrilled to hear you don't want your money back but want them repaired--that's the outcome stores want when something goes wrong with shoes. Be assertive, my dear ^_^ :wink: :heart: I also live in Neiman-Marcus country, so if I can help, let me know. I have spoken with the manager of their #1 store on more than one occasion. Some managers actually really enjoy handling customer issues like this.

I saw this on Zappos- It's not something I like- but it's not too horrible-

except that it looks like something i might get for five dollars at payless

can you believe 648.00- (on sale) for what looks like a crochet houseslipper- it just blows my mind- and it's not even a real designer- if it were like a prada crochet houseslipper- I could understand ( though that would not justify it )

AAaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!

^ :shock:

I remember seeing something similar somewhere, where a $20 looking pair of shoes was like $800. I was going to post them in the ugliest shoes thread but they're not actually that ugly, just not nearly worth $800. Wish I remembered where I saw them.

I think Rene Caovillas shoes are the best. They are expensive, yes, but they are worth it.
I bought a pair for the my sisters wedding, they had really high heels, but they are so comfortable, and I had everybody telling me how beautiful they were.
You can wear a pair of Rene Caovillas shoes with a simple dress, you will always look special!!

fashionista-ta said:
I would at least call the customer service number, or chat with them online (I seem to remember using that feature before ...). I'm sure they would be thrilled to hear you don't want your money back but want them repaired--that's the outcome stores want when something goes wrong with shoes. Be assertive, my dear ^_^ :wink: :heart: I also live in Neiman-Marcus country, so if I can help, let me know. I have spoken with the manager of their #1 store on more than one occasion. Some managers actually really enjoy handling customer issues like this.

I agree, you should 100% call NM, email or chat online. I returned a pair of Louboutins after the heel punchered the heel pad pushing the red sole backing on the underside of the heel off the heel. It was horrific; I cried :(
Honestly I think there was something wrong with the shoe, but I returned them for a new pair and have had no problems with these. NM has a great return policy and no limit on returns, however if they do not refund your money or give you store credit then ask them to repair them for you. A good shoe repair will be able to fix them good as new.

In terms of overpriced....I remember my first high-end shoe purchase. I was amazed at the quailty and craftmanship! Sure they are overpriced, but so are cheap shoes. It is all relative; high-end shoes use better quality materials and therefore when marked up the cost is high. Cheaper shoes have this same mark-up, they are just made with cheap materials and therefore cost less to make. Personally I would rather own a smaller amount of high-end designer shoes than spend $50-100 here and there for shoes that end up falling apart.
I find Jimmy Choo to be very well-made shoes. The leather boots are the softest leather and so comfortable and heels are very walkable. 100% worth the price for me. Sure I would love them to be less $, but when comparing the quality/price of cheaper high-end shoes really aren't anymore overpriced.

I don't think $100 shoes has to be of poor quality, usually these kind of shoes are manufactured in a country where labour is cheap and thus they can sell their products cheaper as well. With that being said, I love designer shoes and are willing to pay to get something beautiful that not every plain jane passing me on the street would wear. I have yet to think that any of my designer shoes are of amazing quality, though, they seem about the same as the (cheaper) $100-200 shoes that I have (I do not discriminate, if I like them I'll buy them regardless of brand name :smile: ) I think a lot of designer shoes are overpriced, but some of them are worth it.

stilettogirl84 said:
I saw this on Zappos- It's not something I like- but it's not too horrible-

except that it looks like something i might get for five dollars at payless
http://imageshack.us/?x=my6&myref=http://imageshack.us/

can you believe 648.00- (on sale) for what looks like a crochet houseslipper- it just blows my mind- and it's not even a real designer- if it were like a prada crochet houseslipper- I could understand ( though that would not justify it )

AAaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy!

...I think I'm going to go and cry myself to sleep. :ninja:

Yes, designer shoes are overpriced. I don't know why other people buy them, but I know why I do - I collect them the way other people collect stamps or exotic orchids.

They are overpriced, but I'm not sure I'd have them any other way. It must be because of their exclusiveness (or 'costing too much for everyone to be able to buy them')

I had a pair of pink Manolo sandals, and the quality was unbelievable (don't fit me any more post-baby so have given them to a friend). I'm not sure I could have bought a comparable pair from any one else, but as has been said they wouldn't have cost £400+ to make.

On another note, I have a pair of leather mules with exquisite detailing, a beautiful wooden sole and heel that only cost me £15 in a charity shop and again have never seen a comparable pair despite their (second hand) cheapness.

I have a marketing background and without boring anybody to death here I just want to outline this. One of the 4 Ps in marketing stands for price. Costs incurred (variable and fixed) go into pricing factor. Unfortunately it seems to me that most designers confuse profit margin with "variable cost" thus overprice their
merchandise, shoes:( in this case.

How else could you explain a plain-looking day-time pumps from Manolo costing only $40-$60 less than a beaded gorgeous-looking evening sandals. They have set a bottom price, in MB's case, a figure starting from mid 400s. If you look at the designers' pricing they all have a pattern.

I try to spend my money on unique looking shoes, 99% of the time they are heels because I do believe when it comes to heels, stilettos spending more money pays off. Moreover most of my high-end designer shoes are for evening or work. I cannot imagine spending $400 for sneakers or kitten heel shoes I wear when I go buy groceries:P ..Then again..everyone has a different idea and a budget:wink:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->