Dolce & Gabbana S/S 2005 by Steven Meisel

Scotty

Reaction score
I can't ID anyone in this!

thestyleregistry.livejournal

The girls are Bianca Balti, Marija Vujovic & Katja Schekina

Noah Mills is one of the guys

LOL this is one of those cases where proponents of “cultural appropriation” would have every right to drag this mercilessly. My goodness, I’m still feeling the 2nd-hand embarrassment from 15 years ago seeing this. So so so awkward.

LOL this is one of those cases where proponents of “cultural appropriation” would have every right to drag this mercilessly. My goodness, I’m still feeling the 2nd-hand embarrassment from 15 years ago seeing this. So so so awkward.

I have the same feeling watching the 00’s collections. They were insanely good but the castings were something embarrassing to look at. It makes me genuinely uncomfortable.

It was the « African/Jungle » collection no? For some reason, I do not necessarly think the cultural appropriation thing could have worked here. It’s really a personal interpretation here...

I was more offended by the Valentino African collection from 4/5 years ago.

^^^ Fair enough if you don’t mind this, Lola. Painting and dressing naked White models as tribal Afrikaans alongside Dolce-dressed models is the brand of thinking that went out of style with game hunters posing next to a lion they just shot and killed. Not to mention simply lacking any creative cohesion and even the common courtesy of cultural sensitivity to say the least. Yeesh. Whomever still believes Meisel “can do no wrong” may want rethink that by looking at this LOL

I have the same feeling watching the 00’s collections. They were insanely good but the castings were something embarrassing to look at. It makes me genuinely uncomfortable.

Do you mean an all-White cast?

That’s a completely different argument that is ultimately about personal and creative choice. I’ve absolutely no problems with any designer casting all-White models for a presentation. HF is not mall-fashion and about shallow displays of being socially-conscientious nor being PC: although that’s all it seems to be about these days. You know, I'd easily tolerate identity-politics if these lessers could just conjure up a hint of creativity and imagination to back up the generic identity-politics. But they can’t even do that...

^^^ Fair enough if you don’t mind this, Lola. Painting and dressing naked White models as tribal Afrikaans alongside Dolce-dressed models is the brand of thinking that went out of style with game hunters posing next to a lion they just shot and killed. Not to mention simply lacking any creative cohesion and even the common courtesy of cultural sensitivity to say the least. Yeesh. Whomever still believes Meisel “can do no wrong” may want rethink that by looking at this LOL

That’s a completely different argument that is ultimately about personal and creative choice. I’ve absolutely no problems with any designer casting all-White models for a presentation. HF is not mall-fashion and about shallow displays of being socially-conscientious nor being PC: although that’s all it seems to be about these days. You know, I'd easily tolerate identity-politics if these lessers could just conjure up a hint of creativity and imagination to back up the generic identity-politics. But they can’t even do that...
I think I don’t have a problem with it being stuck on a certain time. Sometimes I try to not look things of the past with the eyes of today in some matter but it’s really about fashiob from the mid 00’s. There is a lot of things that would be controversial...

Pat did the make-up if I remember...

I really hope nobody thinks Meisel can do no wrong tho.

Designers should attempt to be relevant and being relevant is integrating a diverse cast. An all white cast is boring and uninspiring.

Designers should attempt to be relevant and being relevant is integrating a diverse cast. An all white cast is boring and uninspiring.

But is skin color really more important than the actual skill required for proper modeling? I understand the importance of representation, but I hate the current trend of hiring diverse casting (which mostly concludes of regular looking people) just so you can pat yourself on the back for being woke. Bring back the fashion, no matter what color it is.

But is skin color really more important than the actual skill required for proper modeling? I understand the importance of representation, but I hate the current trend of hiring diverse casting (which mostly concludes of regular looking people) just so you can pat yourself on the back for being woke. Bring back the fashion, no matter what color it is.
Diversity is important because fashion is a business and when you are selling to everyone, it’s only fair to have everyone involved.

All White casts is not a problem...At least to me. I’m trying my hardest to not see this campaign with the eyes of today. Brands today have a social responsibility. They have to accept it, to digest it and to work with it.

But let’s be clear. This focus on diversity (which tbh is really about having black models) is a result of what happened in the 00’s. In the 90’s there were black or Asians models on shows or ads. It ended with the Brazilian and the Russian wave. Asian models started to appear again because there was a desire to enter the Asian market. When brands started to value diversity because of the spending power of populations, it was only fair for us , black people, to raise our voices!

So yes, skin color is not more important than skills in modeling but you can have both: great models and diversity.

But for me having black models for a safari/jungle inspired collection is like having black models for spring collections...A bit cliché. But D&G have had real diverse casts in the 00’s...compared to Prada or Gucci.

LOL To make such a racist blatant blanket statement about an entire people. (Imagine such a dismissive statement made about a Black cast… I just can’t at the racism masquerading as “progress” with a post like this.)

It’s not an all-White cast that’s “boring and uninspired” (unless it’s a cast full of Ruth Bells, then yes, absolutely boring and uninspired… But then again, a cast full of Aduts would be as painfully “boring and uninspired. So let’s not put down an entire people just because there are some dull ones amongstt them), it’s the current low-standard of models that is truly boring and inspired— both in looks and modelling skills, where its more important with its careful and conscientious headcount of “diversity”. And the irony of this so-called “diversity” is that, all these fashion shoots/campaigns/shows all end up looking the same, with not a hint of individuality nor personality: Boring and uninspired indeed.

I don't feel guilty or regrets to admit I like this campaig a lot. I find it so artsy, high level of beauty. I like the dark green tone of it, the blurred figures in movement and by opposition the standing ones. It's sexy and poetic. I feel really sorry for saying this, but it's amazing. When something is well done there's no hate. Of course there was some stories by him I disliked by far more than this, like the VI fur story in 2010. I can't dislike this and I'm truly sorry for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clensz
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->