Dove: "Real Women" Campaign

The ads are definitely attention-grabbing and I agree that beauty does not have to be defined by one type of "look".

Here's a photo they use in the campaign:
Feature-dovegirls_000.jpg

I love this campaign.......they have another one that focuses on the faces of unique women...freckles, wrinkles.....its so refreshing.

Those ads definitley grab your attention and it is refreshing but personally, I'd rather it not become the norm in ads.:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ It's comments like that that cause many women to have eating disorders. :rolleyes: Thank you for proving that there are still a lot of close-minded people in this world.

PS.. good thing you edited your original comment.

I think the ads are great.... because these are real women... Dove is very smart for going in this direction.. I never saw it coming.

I agree that it is refreshing. I just have one complaint - I wish it wasn't entitled "Real Women". I would have chosen for them to not name it the obvious - and just go with it in that direction.

Nonetheless, I can see this campaign being truly appreciated (by women of all sizes, shapes, etc.).

Ha, I dont get how Dove is having this whole campaign with "Accept yourself for who you are" and all of that jazz... but at the same time going, "By the way, you need this firming lotion".

Not only that, but I've always felt that the reason they put gorgeous, ridiculously toned/fit/thin models on ads are to entice you. The whole, "You can get this unattainable beauty with our products" thing. I like to have what I use/buy look glamorous.

They had tried that direction... before this, every dove commercial had some hot woman doing the ads.. but they've caused so much buzz with this new campaign

I know I really didn't mean it to come out like that.:(

I do like that ad and it's a nice change but I think for most clothes, I'd personally prefer to have a thin model. For beauty ads and cosmetics and the like I think I actually do perfer fuller women, but I have to admit this ad gave me a bit of a jolt.:blush:

I love this ad! I've seen a different one though! If you think these girls are fat, you should stop making trips to the bathroom after eating and grow up

That's the thing though... the media is making a buzz about it like they put obese women on the sides of buses when they didn't. One of the models is from Chicago and she's an "admitted size 10"... which isn't that bad considering her height. All of these women are probably at a healthy BMI.

P.Peach said:
Ha, I dont get how Dove is having this whole campaign with "Accept yourself for who you are" and all of that jazz... but at the same time going, "By the way, you need this firming lotion".

Not only that, but I've always felt that the reason they put gorgeous, ridiculously toned/fit/thin models on ads are to entice you. The whole, "You can get this unattainable beauty with our products" thing. I like to have what I use/buy look glamorous.

I agree with you, Peach!

But I also realized - some women (and young girls especially) want to have a reasonable level of socially acceptable beauty to which they can aspire. And I think parents like having that kind of physical role model for their daughters, even if it is still all in the name of appearance and in the pursuit of beauty.

So it's like, this is the same thing, only taking it down a notch. "See, we put these women in this ad, so they're beautiful too, and if you use this product, you can be beautiful like them," which is at least more realistic for a lot of women than, say, looking like Polina or Doutzen.

I think the jolt was what they were looking for, and as ads try to look for what the public want, I think if we can start to accept more fuller models in cosmetic ads...and later fashion ads, more ads like this will appear.

I agree with you on the "accept yourself" end of it..(while selling butt-firming cream) it is a bit of an oxymoron..

I think it's just that most women look like this, as opposed to the women you see walking down the runway..

I think the point of the add is not to accept yourself neccesarily, but to realize that the models we see in magazines and commercials are genetic oddities. And no matter how much firming lotion you use, you'll never look like them. These women are all in decent shape for normal people, AND have good looking firm legs.

It's sort of saying, why bother showing models for this skin product, when you all know that this models legs look this because of her genetics, and not any product. But with more normal sized women, their still attractive legs are achievable for most of us. Or atleast one pair of those legs will be (they show a variety of heatlhy body types, this is NOT about obesity or even weight). Maybe they look that way without any help of the product, but I guess it's just saying "if she can have legs like this, so can you".

No amount of body cream will give me the legs of a model. No amount of working out or dieting will give me those legs. Putting the image of non model bodies out there so boldly also helps us be more accepting of different shapes... just because we sit it more in a medium that is celebratory. (how media influences our perception)

Anyway, I also agree that for clothes, I do like to see it on a model body. I'm buying the clothes, not the body in that case (where as a body firming lotion, you are in a sense buying the body that is being advertised, and with a traditional model selling body lotion, it makes it look like a scam subconciously, cause you know that the model looks like that genetically).

I think i've said the same thing over and over again. :smile:

Anyway, I like the adds. It's a good idea to remind people that the traditional models body is not the ONLY type of body worth seeing.

Assembler said:
I think the point of the add is not to accept yourself neccesarily, but to realize that the models we see in magazines and commercials are genetic oddities. And no matter how much firming lotion you use, you'll never look like them. These women are all in decent shape for normal people, AND have good looking firm legs.

It's sort of saying, why bother showing models for this skin product, when you all know that this models legs look this because of her genetics, and not any product. But with more normal sized women, their still attractive legs are achievable for most of us. Or atleast one pair of those legs will be (they show a variety of heatlhy body types, this is NOT about obesity or even weight). Maybe they look that way without any help of the product, but I guess it's just saying "if she can have legs like this, so can you".

No amount of body cream will give me the legs of a model. No amount of working out or dieting will give me those legs. Putting the image of non model bodies out there so boldly also helps us be more accepting of different shapes... just because we sit it more in a medium that is celebratory. (how media influences our perception)

Anyway, I also agree that for clothes, I do like to see it on a model body. I'm buying the clothes, not the body in that case (where as a body firming lotion, you are in a sense buying the body that is being advertised, and with a traditional model selling body lotion, it makes it look like a scam subconciously, cause you know that the model looks like that genetically).

I think i've said the same thing over and over again. :smile:

Anyway, I like the adds. It's a good idea to remind people that the traditional models body is not the ONLY type of body worth seeing.

Totally agree Assembler - you said what I was thinking/trying to say, only way better. :flower:

I wish it wasn't called the "real women" campaign. So I guess skinny people aren't real since they're deliberately not featured in the ad? I guess "real" is just the marketing friendly way of saying "average".

Other than that the ad is fine...but as someone pointed out there is a contradiction in telling women to accept themselves the way they are while rubbing on some butt firming cream.

Also, this is just a quibble, but I see a lot of very thin people with not so firm legs. So I think the point they make in the commercial that naturally thin people don't need firming lotion is untrue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->