Fab Flash: Superheroes at the 2008 Costume Institute Exhibit

bluedolphin

Reaction score
The Metropolitan Museum of Art has chosen "Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy" as the theme of its Spring exhibit. The museum plans to explore the superhero's iconic costume of cape, mask, and bodysuit as it has appeared in fashion. The exhibit, which is co-chaired by Giorgio Armani, George Clooney, Julia Roberts, and Vogue editor Anna Wintour, will run from May 7 to September 1, and the accompanying gala, known as the Oscars of the fashion industry, will be hosted on May 5.
Approximately 70 ensembles will be featured, from high-performance sportswear and iconic movie costumes to avant-garde couture looks spanning the decades, all inspired by Catwoman, Wonder Woman, the X-Men, and more. Designers represented include everyone from Balenciaga, Armani, and Alexander McQueen to Jeremy Scott, Pierre Cardin, and Nike.

http://www.metmuseum.org/press_room/full_release.asp?prid={D60AEAE1-EB1D-47CE-AC3C-B6677363958D}

http://fabsugar.com/728105

source | fwd

It’s not a ball until the belles arrive. A delegation of models–both new and established–will brave the steps of the Metropolitan Museum of Art on Monday evening for the Costume Institute Gala. Reportedly, Kate Hudson had a change of plans and won’t attend with Stella McCartney–but the popular Brit couldn’t have picked a better date than Kate Moss, who’s attending with the designer. Christopher Bailey won’t have Agyness Deyn at the Burberry table. Aside from Lily Donaldson, the designer is bringing 21 year-old Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, who’s rumored to be the next big face of the company. Although Russian powerhouse Sasha Pivovarova has been breaking records with those consecutive Prada campaigns, she’s wearing Rag & Bone on the big night. Matthew Williamson’s Pucci table will be one of the prettiest in the room, as Coco Rocha, Anja Rubik, and Joy Bryant will entertain the company’s creative head.
Versace’s coterie will include Gisele Bündchen, Molly Sims, and one of the two new faces of the company, Isabeli Fontana. Younger brands have also fostered apt model matches: Guinevere van Seenus will wear Rodarte, Caroline Trentini will be Philip Crangi’s date, and Natasha Poly will delight in Phi. Newly minted star Jourdan Dunn will be seen in Peter Som, while Iekeliene Stange is set to wear Oscar de le Renta. CFDA nominees Proenza Schouler are taking Jessica Stam, while Karen Elson and Helena Christensen are wearing fellow category nominee Marc Jacobs. Other women to receive the prized invites include Natalia Vodianova, Chanel Iman, Stephanie Seymour, Lauren Hutton, Raquel Zimmermann, Amber Valletta, Karolina Kurkova, and Carolyn Murphy.

Superheroes...is this 10 years late...or...? It just seems really off to me, but oh well...I guess it's just that good old post-Lieberman Vogue maxim "Going to the state of absolute lack of art through the help of the all-but-dead motion picture business".

Last edited by a moderator:
Superheroes...is this 10 years late...or...? It just seems really off to me, but oh well...I guess it's just that good old post-Lieberman Vogue maxim "Going to the state of absolute lack of art through the help of the all-but-dead motion picture business".

i think superheros is perfect right now
we all need heros, and with so much going on in the world its empowering to have super humans to give us strength and positivity.

Science is far more exciting that these lame fantasies, it seems more exciting to me to pick up the latest issue of Nature. But anyway, I prefer more decorative and equally undeserving heroes.

Yay! I need to stay up until that, which means umm like up till 4am. But nevermind, I've been waiting so long for this!

This isn't the thread for pictures, fyi for those interested. That thread will be reopened in Star Style. I agree with whoever thinks the theme is off. How can they go from Paul Poiret to this? It smacks of studio interference/money....

source | fwd

The Costume Institute Gala is always chock full o’ surprises. (This year should be particularly rowdy, given its no-holds-barred superheroes theme.) Naomi Watts, Thierry Mugler’s new “Angel Icon,” will be clad in the designer’s otherworldly designs as she walks the Met steps with Liev Schreiber. Their unlikely dinner companions will be Kimora Lee Simmons and Djimon Hounsou and Alexis Bryan. To lend an air of authenticity, Lynda Carter (the original Wonder Woman) will make an appearance. She’s expected to be squired by Paul Wilmot and Blaine Trump. What’s more, the 56-year-old television icon plans to sport the original metal cuffs made famous on the show!
Interestingly, Sarah Jessica Parker will not attend tonight’s gala. According to her publicist, Parker has a scheduling conflict. Perhaps one of her many junkets and appearances to promote the Sex and the City film? Cameron Diaz, meanwhile canceled her appearance as well.
Kristin Davis will be Michael Kors’s date, Jason Lewis will be seated at the Dolce & Gabbana table, and Roberto Bolle will be dancing up the steps of the Met dressed in Ferragamo. Maggie Gyllenhaal, the newest addition to the Batman franchise, will join Peter Som, while the Chanel table will boast Thandie Newton and Audrey Tautou. Escada is dressing Christy Turlington Burns and Alberta Ferretti is bringing Ivanka Trump and Diego Garcia. As for the couple to watch tonight? That would be Andy Roddick and his fiance Brooklyn Decker. Maria Sharapova told us that she’s already practicing on the red clay of Europe and will unfortunately skip this year’s festivities, but Monica Seles will be there. Roddick (whose least favorite surface is clay!) will put on his tuxedo; he will likely be the only active tennis player at the bash. And finally…we can now reveal that Bee Shaffer is set to look smashing in Nina Ricci.
It’s 3:45 PM and Marc Jacobs is still at the office. “I’ve just arrived in the city, so I’m catching up on my work and current project,” the designer just told us over the phone. “But have no fear, I’ll groom and wash myself in a bit, get out of the door, get in my party mood and pick up my wonderful date Sofia [Coppola]. But I’m not nervous. It’s not like I’m hosting. The hosts should have butterflies and I have bunch of amazing friends at my table like John Currin and Rachel Feinstein, Helena [Christensen], and Karen Elson. So it should be a great night!”
In related Met updates, Anna Wintour is confirmed to wear a custom Chanel Haute Couture black and white embroidered dress made especially for her by Karl Lagerfeld. Kate Bosworth is also wearing the brand, while Eva Longoria and Dita Von Teese will don Marchesa. Ellen Barkin will join the Olsen twins at Diane von Furstenberg’s table. As for the Gossip Girl cast members? Chace Crawford will be seen in Italo Zucchelli’s Calvin Klein men’s designs, Ed Westwick will come with Teen Vogue, and Blake Lively will be along for the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
source | fwd

chrisbenzelettra.jpg

Enjoy this sketch of Elettra Wiedemann’s dress by designer Chris Benz. And in bauble news, Bulgari is expected to outfit Christina Ricci, Claudia Schiffer, Eva Mendes, Georgina Chapman, Lynda Carter, Mischa Barton (a guest of Missoni), Zoe Kravitz, Olivia Thrilby, Franca Sozzani, and Lily Collins.

source | fwd

E! Entertaining at the Costume Institute Ball

Mary Alice Stephenson & Giuliana Rancic to tackle fashion's biggest night
(NEW YORK) On Monday, when Hollywood's crème de la crème invade Manhattan to attend the Costume Institute benefit ball, E! will be there. The cable entertainment channel has green-lit a first-ever special feature documenting fashion's equivalent of the Oscars. "The E! Met Special," as its working title goes, will air on Thursday, May 8 at 8 p.m. and feature red carpet interviews by correspondent Giuliana Rancic with arriving celebrities and their designer dates. What's more, Mary Alice Stephenson and Bobbie Thomas will offer their commentary on this year's Superheroes-themed exhibition as the go through the history of the Costume Institute and define why the annual affair put on by the Metropolitan Museum of Art is so relevant to actors and fashion A-listers. The hosts will detail all the extra steps celebrity attendees take to get ready for their big night out, from wardrobe fittings to last-minute hair and makeup touchups, all leading up to the moment the actress steps out of her Town Car. But don't worry, given that this is E!, there will also be coverage of the night's best and worst dressed.

I'm so excited to see the costumes (and I do hope they are extremely costumey) for this ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giuliagiachetti
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->