Costume Institute Gala 2008 "Superheroes: Fashion and Fantasy"

Lily Donaldson @ Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala, May 5, 2008
celebutopia

Beyonce is musician:wink:
This isn't just about "fashion," the institute is high fashion, elitist, la creme de la creme, and for the most part something that the "average person" pays absolutely no attention. This gala is for the highly fashionable to get together and celebrate exactly that. It's not about bringing fashion to the average person.

Whaaaa? You must be talking about a different gala because the Met event was never that "high fashion" exclusive. In the past few years it's been getting more paparazzi attention so it's turned into another photo-op event for celebrities (and designers). And the New York Metropolitan Museum of Art (let's not forget that's who is putting this on), in an effort to widen the donor pool (IMO), has courted that connection.

It's not even about Hollywood. Entertainers have moved beyond that into this crazy "synergy" mentality where an actor can be a singer can be a model (for a designer campaign) can be a designer (all those damn celebrity lines). And as the high fashion market has had to reach other demographics to survive and developing countries start to grab a bigger piece of the wealth, it will be global entertainers like Beyonce who will get their name out there. Notice how long it took for us to get pictures of any models beside Claudia Schiffer and Gisele? Or this mythical fashion creme de la creme? (Ok, I'll put my favourite Daphne Guiness on the list.)

anna got stuck in the packaging for her dress which was sent to her via fedex at the last moment

Vogues Best Dressed

1. Jennifer Connelly in Balenciaga
jennifer.jpg

2. Wendi Murdoch in Christian Lacriox Haute Couture
wendi.jpg

3. Kate Mara in Zac Posen
kate.jpg

4. Gisele Bundchen in Atelier Versace
gisele.jpg

5. Raquel Zimmermann in Thakoon
raquel.jpg

style

6. Joy Bryant in Pucci
joy.jpg

7. Caroline Trentini in Vintage Thierry Mugler
caroline.jpg

8. Lisa Airan in Rodarte
lisa.jpg

9. Lake Bell in Balmain
lake.jpg

10. Lauren Santo Domingo in Nina Ricci
lauren-1.jpg

style

11. Venus Williams in Carolina Herrera
venus.jpg

12. Kate Bosworth in Vintage Chanel Haute Couture
kateb.jpg

13. Diana Taylor in Oscar de la Renta
diana.jpg

14. Victoria Beckham in Vintage Giorgio Armani
victoria.jpg

15. Julia Roberts in Armani Prive
julia.jpg

style

16. Liya Kebede in Johnathan Saunders
liya.jpg

17. Lou Doillon in Marni
lou.jpg

18. Samantha Boardman Rosen in Giambattista Valli
samantha.jpg

19. Stephanie Winston Wolkoff in Nina Ricci
stephanie.jpg

20. Chanel Iman in Phillip Lim
chanel-1.jpg

style.

I have to admit this list seems to be Vogue favourites, Liya should be higher and the exclusion of Christina Ricci probably has something to do with her leaving early as she wasn't sat with her boyfriend.

Style.com is a big promotion for US Vogue period. Lisa A is wearing a similar design of Rodarte dress that Keira wore for the Antonement LA premiere, those girls are hot right now!

i think the list is ok but i'd rank them differently

^I was going to ask the same thing. And Zac Posen is way better dressed than the girl on his arm. Wtf. And how did Joy Bryant in that ugly 60s decor dress get anywhere near the list. Weird.

Where're KK, Bee Schaffer, Claudia Schiffer, Eva Longoria-Parker, and Anna Wintour???

And WHY WHY WHY are Jennifer and Wendi #1,#2???

No, that list sucks. Where is Camilla Belle? I like Kate Mara and Zac Posen, they match!

How the heck is Jennifer Connely number 1 in that boring Balenciaga dress, that baffles me, Christina Ricci, Bee Schafer, Naomi Watts, Kate Bosworth, anybody basically would have been a better choice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->