• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

MET Costume Institute Gala 2021 : In America: A Lexicon of Fashion (Part 1 of 2)

^ LOL

Hopefully the one in May will be more exciting.

Some newish stars I assumed would go were a no-show: Anya Taylor-Joy, Florence Pugh, Ana de Armas, Doja Cat, Emma Corrin. There’s no way they weren’t invited.

Just want to say my quick two cents about most of guests.

A lot of people kind of went old hollywood glamour but in a very boring way for MET. Which is always expectable with these type of celebs, public figures, influencers... whatever you may wish to call them and who they are invited by. Safe is always policy.
Even Rihanna played safe.
Main host, Anna Wintour always seems to dress same way just with different patterns and colors. So my expectation isn't high although I had some surprises.

But back to topic:
I am not exactly thrilled to see a lot of tik tokers, youtubers, instagramers, influencers on red carpet, being most of them don't exactly understand or know how to behave in event with such magnitude. Literally my jaw drop when I saw that Addison Rae had a Tom Ford's Gucci (which I assume was something Law Roach manage to get his hands on) so that girl would post an instagram story of an image of Marilyn Monroe in a red dress, as her inspiration. She doesn't understand what kind of piece she was dressing. I am not insulting her or putting her down in any sort, but these new era of public figures don't understand event itself. Even some who in some way know or are connect to fashion industry.

But event needs them, in order to keep looking fresh, up to date. Otherwise it will look old, snobbish event, with same personalities over and over again. And it would hardly include personalities who are from different countries, other backgrounds etc etc etc.

Event has became accessible and anyone who has became popular in a social media platform can now attend.

Fashion constantly needs fresh faces, lots of publicity and became more diverse (includes different backgrounds, countries, ethics...). MET is one of the biggest stage for publicity.

Dixie D'Amelio at the Met Gala

Kacey Musgraves at the VMAs, the night before

I'm glad to see less woke-performative-reivindicative looks, except maybe for Cara and a couple politicians who needed to promote themselves (Alexandria Ocasio, the cringe), almost everybody stayed in their lane. Also, Nicholas G. must really hate Naomi Osaka. Eiza was good with all her surgeries, what did she do to her lips????

'm glad to see less woke-performative-reivindicative looks, except maybe for Cara

I thought Cara's choice was particularly egregious considering without the "patriarchy," her family specifically, she'd never have been at the MET Gala anyway. Or she was going for irony, which doesn't seem the case considering her rather earnest comments..

All the girls wearing Ralph Lauren (with the firm FIRM exception of Kacey Musgraves) stole the show.

Jennifer Lopez's look was perfectly fitting for the theme and I also loved Lily Aldridge in the white Ralph Lauren shirt and fringe skirt - so chic. Dylan Lauren's lamé dress was quintessential Ralph Lauren that it was just pure love at first sight.

My absolute fave of the night was Sienna Miller in Gucci, who gave us old-Hollywood glamour with a modern twist. Flawless!

'In America: A Lexicon of Fashion & Anthology of Fashion'

For some reason I was expecting a focus on American designers.
And so many are wearing European designers.

I feel like since the last few Met gala themes have been over the top, attendees just assume that's what's expected at this event. I know it was a very broad theme but it seems like very few people stuck to it. I expected a lot of American designers and was surprised by all the European designers there (especially Rihanna who usually follows the theme). Also not a fan of many of the attendees. The Met gala was always touted as exclusive and now they seem desperate to get the hip young crowd that has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with vying for attention. I feel like most of the attendees being under 25 isn't some great thing to brag about (maybe I'm just old and bitter being nearly 29). I can't imagine a royal or former first lady attending this event anymore. I don't get the politicians and political statements there either (AOC wearing a tax the rich dress at an event full of rich tax dodgers is either rather clever or incredibly stupid and tone deaf). I don't agree with gatekeeping in fashion but it just seems like most of the people attending don't care about fashion or the exhibit, but I guess as long as the museum gets its money. Also seeing Tik Tok stars wearing couture while I've been obsessed with fashion for so long and have never even gotten a chance to look at couture in a museum or own high end clothing just makes me irrationally angry. The Amelio sisters (I honestly don't know who half these people are) seem like they're poised to be the next Kardiashians if E Network has anything to say about it.

Kourtney Kardashian wore the same dress that Addison Rae did in December 2019. Since the two are close friends I wouldn’t be surprised if she just pulled it out of her closet.

(especially Rihanna who usually follows the theme).

Rihanna said in an interview that her take on "American History" was that she was an emigrant. I think that's why she wore what she did.

Kourtney Kardashian wore the same dress that Addison Rae did in December 2019. Since the two are close friends I wouldn’t be surprised if she just pulled it out of her closet.

Dress is different. Although same collection I would assume.

Screenshot_20210915-075918_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20210915-075913_Instagram.jpg

I feel like since the last few Met gala themes have been over the top, attendees just assume that's what's expected at this event. I know it was a very broad theme but it seems like very few people stuck to it. I expected a lot of American designers and was surprised by all the European designers there (especially Rihanna who usually follows the theme). Also not a fan of many of the attendees. The Met gala was always touted as exclusive and now they seem desperate to get the hip young crowd that has nothing to do with fashion and everything to do with vying for attention. I feel like most of the attendees being under 25 isn't some great thing to brag about (maybe I'm just old and bitter being nearly 29). I can't imagine a royal or former first lady attending this event anymore. I don't get the politicians and political statements there either (AOC wearing a tax the rich dress at an event full of rich tax dodgers is either rather clever or incredibly stupid and tone deaf). I don't agree with gatekeeping in fashion but it just seems like most of the people attending don't care about fashion or the exhibit, but I guess as long as the museum gets its money. Also seeing Tik Tok stars wearing couture while I've been obsessed with fashion for so long and have never even gotten a chance to look at couture in a museum or own high end clothing just makes me irrationally angry. The Amelio sisters (I honestly don't know who half these people are) seem like they're poised to be the next Kardiashians if E Network has anything to say about it.
I imagine this year’s attendees didn’t look as diverse in terms of age because we are still in a pandemic. Probably a lot of the older attendees are still reluctant to attend such a crowded event or travel - Jennifer Aniston said she isn’t attending the Emmys for that reason. Either that or they’re not vaccinated. If you look at the 2019 event, yes there was a younger demographic, but there were also a lot of older guests from different industries. There were still plenty of over-30s this year: Isabelle Huppert, David Byrne, Audra McDonald, Whoopi, Emily Blunt, Sienna Miller, Erykah Badu, Claire Danes, Serena Williams, Ava DuVernay, Regina King to name a few. In the early ‘00s they invited 3LW, Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jessica Simpson… it was just a much smaller event. Also, influencers and reality TV stars didn’t exist. We are simply living in a different time. That being said, Chloe Sevigny, Kirsten Dunst, Liv Tyler, Sarah Jessica Parker… those are the celebrities I looked forward to when I first discovered the Met Gala and I miss their presence. I think some of them have grown out of it or think it has become a bit of a circus. Even Beyoncé hasn’t attended since 2016. But it’s funny looking at the older threads from the 2000s and people complained then about the guest list and not following the theme. It’s just an endless cycle.

In terms of the theme, I don’t think it was that bad? A lot of the attendees were inspired by individual Americans which surely counts for something. Emily Blunt (Hedy Lamarr), Keke Palmer (Diana Ross), Halle Bailey (Tina Turner), Gemma Chan (Anna May Wong), Yara Shahidi ( Josephine Baker), Isabelle Huppert (Divine)… whether they wore American designers or not. But I think there was a pretty strong showing for American designers (lots of Thom Browne, Bode, Prabal Gurung, Batsheva, Ralph Lauren, Christopher John Rogers, Altuzarra, Area, Oscar de la Renta). Sure there was a lot of Valentino, Versace, Saint Laurent and Chanel but that’s because they buy the tables. That’s just how it works.

This is Part 1 of the Met Gala, which is the reason why it had a distinctive focus in terms of audience and guests. Part 2 will explore the theme of "America" more extensively according to Andrew Bolton. I assume that there was a deliberate plan to focus more on the younger generation this year both in terms of attendees and exhibition content, which is why there were so many YouTube and TikTok personalities present.

A few short months after the September Met Gala, the museum will get back on schedule with their annual May Met Gala, keeping the 2022 Met Gala on the same, traditional date. The next Met Gala will be on May 2, 2022 to open part two of the American fashion exhibit, entitled "An Anthology of Fashion." In this second part, the museum is working with "American film directors to create cinematic scenes within each room that depict a different history of American fashion."

While not many details have been released about the 2022 gala, it is implied that the event will return to its regular size and stature, should the pandemic allow.
townndcountrymag.com/

Seeing all the behind the scenes pics/footage, gotta love the elites out there not wearing the masks when the help is all masked up. The same elites preaching equality and covid mandates.

Seeing all the behind the scenes pics/footage, gotta love the elites out there not wearing the masks when the help is all masked up. The same elites preaching equality and covid mandates.
Isn't that the case for anyone who has been out since restrictions were lifted? I've been to restaurants and birthday parties where staff have worn masks and I certainly don't belong in the elite category, lol.

If you look for celebrities to tell you what to do, that's on you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeroplvne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->