Gap Hires COS Creator Rebekka Bay *Udate* Bay Out, Wendi Goldman Hired

HeatherAnne

Reaction score
:clap: I'm really excited about this news. Take Gap back to the well-made basics, much like COS is synonymous with and Gap used to be, ditch the cheesy graphic tees currently occupying half the Women's site and all the flimsy made pieces. Onward, let's go Bay!

Gap Names Creative Director, COS Creator Rebekka Bay

It's been more than a year since Gap fired creative director Patrick Robinson, and now they’ve finally hired a replacement, and she has a pretty impressive background.

The company confirmed that they have named Rebekka Bay creative director and executive vice president for Gap Global Design, effective Oct. 1. Bay is best known for the successful H&M-owned brand COS, which she “conceptualized, developed and launched.” She was creative director there from 2006-2011, when she left for Danish fashion house Bruns Bazaar, where she’s been creative director until now. At Gap, she’ll be responsible for the Women's, Men’s, 1969, Accessories and Body lines.

“We’ve taken the time to identify the right creative leader for Gap and we’ve found that in Rebekka,” said Stephen Sunnucks, president, Gap Inc. international in a release (via BusinessWire) . “We’re confident that Rebekka’s approach to design along with her considerable international experience will allow her to help us build upon the momentum we’re delivering in the business today.”

Is Bay a better fit for Gap than Robinson? Perhaps. While Robinson’s background was in high fashion, Bay oversaw a mass produced, international brand–and a successful, stylish one at that. However, the fact that Gap has henceforth been a pretty distinctly American brand, and Bay’s experience is all in Europe, could be seen as an issue.

Gap has definitely seen its ups and (mostly) downs over the past few years, and made many, many attempts to refocus and get sales back up, most of which have been unsuccessful. Bay’s design talents, coupled with her understanding of how to focus one brand within a conglomerate of brands, could prove quite beneficial to Gap.
fashionista

Awesome! This is such exciting news!

Especially for all of us who jealously check out the awesome COS thread and buys in the Shop Til You Drop forum...

Looks like we'll soon have access to something sort of like it!

The Gap is definitely due for a bit of a shakeup... I haven't been in there in a while, but the possibility of something new under Rebekka Bay may lure me back.

that intrigues me as well. i love the aesthetics of COS and i've been a little disappointed with GAP this season after their dismissal of patrick robinson. also good for us stateside who don't yet have the pleasure of shopping at COS....through location or online. maybe we'll get a bit of that element,like you said chrissy.

however like the article stated,i'm sure we're going to see many a complaints from the average middle american gap shopper as they all bemoaned GAP's range while designed by patrick. and he is so american sportswear. i can't imagine what will be from somebody with a european background.

This is great news! I love everything COS does, well I love looking at it online since we can't shop it here in the US, yet.

Gap surely needs this.

First collection by Bay slated for Spring 2014, that's quite a wait. I have noticed slight improvements.

2013, Gap’s Year of “Global Brand Structure”

Last year the group opened 75 new Gap and Banana Republic stores.

This year the company is focussing on creating a new international structure.
Gap intends to expand into Brazil and Peru in 2013 and into India in 2014. The group is also trying to strengthen relations with its partners.

“In December, our franchise partner FIBA launched a new e-commerce site in Turkey to supplement the merchandise offer of Gap and Banana Republic stores across the entire country. It was a big step forward for us. This is the first time that our relationship with a franchise partner has developed into a line,” said Stefan Laban, senior vice president of Gap International. “This was clearly a year that generated a lot of miles.”

In addition to organisational developments and new markets, the Gap brand is also doing well thanks to the appointment of its new creative director Rebekka Bay, last September.

The first collection under Bay’s direction is scheduled for spring 2014 and her influence is already showing in the collections.

“She works closely on the presentation of the collection and its key signature pieces. She brings an authentic point of view,” explained Fiona Collins, senior PR director for Europe. “For example, she pushed us to be confident enough to present a simple jeans and t-shirt outfit. Because that’s what Gap is ultimately. Rather than trying for a glam look, we are going toward something fresh and clean. It is also an opportunity to evolve the way we communicate. But it is still too early to discuss that.”

In charge of the women’s, men’s, 1969, accessories, and “body” collections, Rebekka Bay wants to give Gap a new ‘creative impulse’, an area in which the two giants H&M and Zara are already far ahead.

Gap’s international ambitions also include strengthening their presence of these two companies in Europe.

“When you look at the activity of other brands such as Zara, you see it is huge in Europe, but very small in North America,” said Collins. “We are almost a reflection of this. We have this very strong activity in America, but in Europe, we are still very small. So there are huge opportunities.”
en.pambianconews.com

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree things are improving at the gap slightly. the stores look more colorful. i think a lot of their shoppers had "basics fatigue"

i was in gap last week and they were selling blouses that looked suspiciously like equipments. they also had a cat print blouse that was remarkably similar to a derek lam cat print from last season.

i'm also getting the impression that they want to ape jcrew. they are using models with silly jenna lyons type glasses on product photos.

photo comparison of image on gap's website vs. jcrew's (images via dailymail)

i am still hoping that fast retailing (uniqlo) will buy the gap. that way their quality would improve markedly.

Hmm well, suffice it to say I wasn't expecting this at all. I think I was 8 the last time I shopped at Gap, but I'm definitely intrigued by this. I love COS so much.

This is just the news I've been waiting to hear my whole life! So excited for this change, I love COS but can never buy it here.

gap and jcrew dna are similar so it makes sense for them to go down a similar path...
as long as they can differentiate themselves, i think it's the right direction...

and it's really obvious that she's focusing on accessories...
the entire store is full of scarves and you can see on the sight that they have like---a million belts!...

no question that they are slowly but surely shifting...
it's going to be awesome to watch, imo...

Gap is back!
:clap:

I also think they should try to build up the menswear business...

back in the day..every guy had gap t shirts and blazers...
they need to bring that back...

As long as they keep it more classic than J. Crew's recent direction. J. Crew has become too brightly colored and frilly for me. I would love to buy a cashmere sweater that is not "mango", "neon azalea" or "bright plum". Whatever happened to classic crayon or heathered colors?

An updated/modern version of 90s minimalism Gap is what I'd like to see.

I would love to buy a cashmere sweater that is not "mango", "neon azalea" or "bright plum". Whatever happened to classic crayon or heathered colors?

An updated/modern version of 90s minimalism Gap is what I'd like to see.

Hah hah! Exactly! I want this, too!

i agree...
they were always a more basic version of jcrew...

btw- i miss the old jcrew as well...
:ermm:...
i used to buy gorgeous tweed wool pants and cashmere sweaters at jcrew...

the gap should not have ANY cashmere...
that is not what they should be about and they really can't compete with some of the other retailers doing that...
they should go linen and cotton...
like old calvin klein...

speaking of calvin klein...
i miss old calvin klein as well...

:lol:...

and while i'm at it...
i miss old banana republic too...
it's so hard to find good basics now...
:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with every point you made, except for one.

I've bought cashmere sweaters from the Gap before (not even that long ago: maybe 3 years tops), and they were better made than J. Crew, and normal colors! So I think they're capable of carrying cashmere.

Frankly, I don't buy into the Jenna Lyons hype. I think J. Crew is more popular because of the internet and their marketing. I think it's disgusting how you can point out there clothes from a half-mile away, they've become so generic and such a specific look.

I agree with you softie J. Crew used to have the most exquisite, timeless, pieces. I have a closet full, thankfully.

Banana Republic is flimsy garbage, I don't know what happened [cheaper labor, probably], but I haven't shopped there in YEARS.

it really does seem like the gap is recommitting their focus back on those integral products that made them popular in the first place, instead of trying to make it such an overly trendy company that we've seen in recent years or one that's inspired by boring collegiates akin to something like american eagle,which is why it turned me off the gap after 2001.

the only thing i can't stand about j. crew right now is that they have essentially the same kind of basics as gap does yet they charge twice as much for them. and to be honest,i think the only thing jenna lyons has done was introduce more collab products from outside companies like levis vintage,CdG Play and new balance et al. other than that i don't get it.

Awesome :heart:

How Gap's New Designer Plans to Revamp the Brand

Fresh from a stint at COS, Gap's new designer, Rebekka Bay, proves she has the chops to restore the sportswear giant to its glory days

Gap’s new creative director, Rebekka Bay, was born in 1969—the same year that Don and Doris Fisher opened a jeans and record shop in San Francisco, naming it after the “generation gap.” Slowly, and then faster, Gaps multiplied, eventually becoming the mainstream behemoth of specialty retail we now know so well. But while Americans Bay’s age spent their teen years wearing—and perhaps also trying to escape from the ubiquity of—the store’s well-designed, deftly marketed wardrobe building blocks, the native Dane herself isn’t a part of what could be described as Generation Gap, because, well, “there was no Gap in Denmark.”

Bay didn’t set foot in a Gap, in fact, until her midtwenties, when she left Denmark for London. By then, she says, Gap was “sort of on the verge of being very iconic and very cool. Then it kind of disappeared into nowhereness.”

Bay is speking metaphorically, of course. The Gap brand is everywhere, from the back of your closet to the front of a flagship store a couple of blocks away from NYC’s Museum of Modern Art, where she and I met up for lunch. (There are 1,600 stores worldwide—more than 850 of them in the U.S.) Lately, however, Gap has been outmaneuvered by a flashy flotilla of fast-fashion competitors, who’ve behaved something like cigarette boats smuggling in the latest trend to be worn, then disposed of.

Under Patrick Robinson, the fashion insider’s fashion insider who was the company’s head of design from 2007 to 2011, Gap sometimes seemed to be emulating its smaller rivals, conjuring quick, trendy looks that disappointed and confused customers who counted on the brand as a dependable destination 
for, say, warm holiday-season plaids.

“Gap is such a solid company, and it’s such an American institution,” Bay says. “There’s a responsibility that comes with that.” That responsibility was felt no more keenly than in 2010, when Gap redid its skinny-serif logo, adopting Helvetica (also the font of the American Apparel logo); the company was forced to change it back within a week in response to customer backlash. “I don’t think the customer base ever lost his or her desire to see Gap succeed,” she says. But at the time, Bay suggests, they seemed to be saying: Please, no sudden moves.

Bay doesn’t like wardrobe surprises herself. “I have friends who question how I can work in fashion, since I always look the same,” she says, describing her uniform—a variation on jeans, boots, and a dress shirt (she’s a big fan of Jil Sander, at least when Sander herself was designing it; Sander quit her eponymous label for the third time this past October). “I’ve never owned a lot.” She’ll wear the same jeans every day for a week. “If it gets to a point where there’s more in my closet than I can kind of wear in one week, then it stresses me out. Because then I have to organize it in my head, and I can’t.

“I’m not a hoarder,” she continues, with marked understatement. Her husband, Ricky, an art director and also from Denmark, is more of a stockpiler, however: “And so is my eight-year-old son. When they’re out, I’ll sift through their stuff, put it in boxes. If they don’t ask for it within the next three months, I throw it out.”

After lunch, Bay and I walk up Manhattan’s Fifth Avenue, past the great high-and low-retail showplaces—Abercrombie & Fitch, shutters enhancing its dark interior; Uniqlo, friendly and logical seeming; Prada and Gucci, their opulence almost quasi-religious; the Apple Store, a big transparent cube—pausing briefly at the little Gap concept shop next door to the company’s flagship. For a moment, we admire a two-tone riff on the on-trend motorcycle jacket in the window, before heading off for the Children’s Zoo in Central Park, where Bay does her real work: fashion reconnaissance. Passing the throngs of tourists looking at the seals, she scans the crowd, taking in what everyone’s wearing, what styles are moving the masses. “I don’t have a muse,” she says. “But I like looking at how people dress and who they are.” She enjoys the Sartorialist but avoids most blogs: “All those voices, all those opinions, it just makes you…less confident.” She also admires Bill Cunningham’s Sunday street-style shots in The New York Times. “I like seeing five different girls wearing the same pair of denims, but in very different ways.”

Bay wants to refocus Gap on its essential self, on what is “iconic,” as she likes to put it. The other word she likes to use is democratic. As when, back in the late 1990s, the company convinced us all that khakis could be transformative. Or when Sharon Stone paired a Gap top with a designer skirt at the Oscars—twice. “Gap is one of the most iconic brands. So how do we make sure that the product is equally iconic? Because that has probably been lost over the past decade.”

But what does it even mean to be iconic these days? Since Gap Inc. was at its zenith, under legendary CEO Mickey Drexler, who was shown the door in 2002 (and now runs J.Crew), the world has changed. The 1990s witnessed the last gasp of TV commercials and print ads—epitomized by Gap’s Individuals of Style campaign—as integral to popular culture. These days, those kicky Gap khakis ads would need to go viral. The Gap spots of late—Alexa Ray Joel and Dhani Harrison (son of George) in the #BackToBlue series, singing their parents’ songs—are an effort in that direction, though the hashtag is what really matters. Other attempts to connect with millennials include Instagram and in-house Web efforts such as styld.by.

“If you look at our campaigns in the past year and a half, we have moved away from a traditional model of just beautiful clothes, beautifully shot,” says Gap’s chief global marketing officer, Seth Farbman. Since coming on in 2011, he has steered the company toward featuring nontraditional models being “more themselves” in Gap clothing. This spring, for instance, the ads focus on Birdy, a 17-year-old English singer, and the rapper Theophilus London—“He’s a character, and a personality,” Farbman says of the latter. “All of that optimism and energy and hopefulness. So when we put him in product, it’s about trying to show him in what’s most naturally him.” And of course not just in photographs: “We also did a dozen Vines and filmed him inventing a new rap on set. Everything is delivered socially.”

Bay’s initiative as creative director is broader than that of her predecessor Robinson; she works closely with colleagues in merchandising, marketing, and advertising. And Gap executives are hoping she can keep the brand’s restored fortunes going—sales for the third quarter of 2013 were up 4 percent over the same quarter last year—as the company expands internationally, says Gap global president Stephen Sunnucks. “Rebekka and the team have reinvented classic pieces,” he says, “while bringing an authentic, relaxed style to the latest trends.”

Put another way, the woman who so values a uniform now wants to sell you yours.

Bay is a thoughtful Scandinavian pragmatist. There’s nothing glossy or grandiose about her. She was raised by her father, a photographer, and having watched him work, she didn’t want a creative career, she says. “I don’t think I wanted that creative struggle, where your heart wants to do one thing, but in order to make money, you need to do something else.”
After dropping out of college, she went to design school. (She had already made some of her own clothes on occasion, such as a sequined skirt for a B-52s-themed party.) “In my interview before enrolling, I told them, ‘I’m not sure I want to make clothes.’ ” Nonetheless, a year in, she heard there was a retail 
men’s chain called Mister that was hiring a head of design, and she decided to apply. “I have always been super inspired by menswear, and I think women are really beautiful in it.”

Soon she became more interested in “looking around and trying to figure out why we suddenly all want the same thing.” And so, after graduating with a BA, she quit her design job to move to London for a position in trend forecasting with her boyfriend (now her husband).

Within a few years, she was a consultant for brands that included Volvo (which was trying to sex up its “stale and safe” image), Davidoff, and Marks & Spencer. By talking to businesspeople about creative things, a skill at which she excels, she learned to combine “quantified research and pure intuition,” she says.

Eventually, H&M came calling, asking her to oversee the launch of a new line of uniform basics for work, COS. Again, she initially hesitated about taking the position: She didn’t think of herself as a designer. Plus she was very pregnant at the time. But her husband encouraged her—she jokes that he’s always been more ambitious for her than she is herself—and the idea of raising her son in Denmark, where the job was located, appealed to her. She launched COS in 2006.

She describes the line as having a “very European high-fashion aesthetic” (think Céline, but affordable; it will come to the U.S. later this year). Her concept for COS sprang in part from her personal experience shopping for clothes to wear to the office. “I felt a little bit stupid sometimes paying a premium price for something that really shouldn’t come at a premium price point,” she says.

When Gap approached her to fill Robinson’s position, which had been vacant for more than a year, Bay didn’t vacillate. “It was like if IKEA came knocking, asking, Do you want to redesign everything we are?” she says. “It was too good a challenge to turn down.”

When we meet at her office in TriBeCa—sparsely decorated with a Saarinen white marble oval table surrounded by Eames chairs—I notice high-influence fashion magazines stacked about: Fantastic Man, The Gentlewoman, Kinfolk, as well as some titles from Japan. “The Japanese men’s magazines have a much better understanding of what is true, authentic American than do the Americans,” Bay says. Also on display is a copy of Take Ivy, a 1965 Japanese field guide to the style of Ivy League students—an interesting choice of reading material for someone from outside the U.S. who’s working to revive a classic American brand.
COS, she tells me, is much more avant-garde than Gap is or should be. “None of us are interested in speaking about a Gap revolution,” she says. “High-fashion pieces normally decrease in value. Casual pieces live with you and get better over time. You don’t want them to die; when a piece falls apart, you return for a new version of that piece.”

She fanned out photos of the looks from the spring collection on the table. What stood out immediately was that it looked unmistakably like Gap—the stripes; the boyfriend jeans; the jackets; the modest, wholesome clean-lined cuts. The uniform pieces were all there too: the web belts, the modest shirtdresses. The bomber jacket, in several variations. The jean jacket. She’s big on showing the ankle for spring.

“Early on, I developed a very simple matrix, with heritage to modern on one axis, fashion to basic on the other,” she says. “At Gap, we do basics really well. We’re not that good with fashion, and we’re not that modern.”
So there will be fewer types of jeans, many shirts and jackets, and some more-daring prints; overall, there is a sense that any of the items probably would work with anything else. Much of the color was inspired by a trip to Florida for Art Basel Miami Beach, after which Bay said she went to her design team—which numbers around 200—and told them, “Here’s the color palette,” and then let them play within it. The result isn’t the vivid hues of Miami, but what those colors would look like if “you bleach them out with light,” she says. (This past December she was back at Art Basel Miami Beach: Gap partnered with the fashion and art publication Visionaire to create arty T-shirts. Maurizio Cattelan designed one, available for $29.95.)
She believes some of the collection’s pieces will always be in the store, while others might sell out or be limited to three or six months on shelves; with that mixture, she hopes to create something familiar and dependable, but with a flash of the always new. Just no fast fashion.

“We can own these pieces: the khakis, denim, and the shirt. They make up a uniform for both men and women. It’s just proportion that changes, the wash.”

Her new idea, the first fruits of which hit the stores this spring, is to bring them all together in one coordinated effort. “What we will see from spring is that all the divisions—men’s, women’s, kids’, and baby—will all work from the same concepts. So if it’s about the blue shirt, then it’s about the blue shirt everywhere.”

Which comes back to the “iconic” idea, what Bay calls “stuff that’s timeless, seasonless. It’s almost generationless. It’s almost genderless.”
The concept certainly sounds Scandinavian in its rationality. And whether it’s actually about the Gap of yore—the one that was at one point so utterly successful, before it lost itself trying too hard to be something it wasn’t—doesn’t matter much.

Sometimes, as for the postwar Japanese photographers trying to puzzle out the dress codes of the Ivy League to decode America itself, what’s most interesting is what is slightly misunderstood. And Bay believes in her idea of Gap with the fervency of a convert. Last February, when she was only a few months into her new job, there was an exhibition of early-’90s art at the New Museum in New York City; the invitation featured a group photo of young artists dressed in matching Gap outfits (because it was the ’90s, they were doing so to critique mass culture). Bay, fascinated, went to see the show: It’s not every clothing store that is so influential, after all, and Bay is as proud of the company’s heritage as anybody. “I want it to be more Gap than Gap has 
ever been.”
elle.com

really nice article…really relate to her comments about not having a lot in her wardrobe….not necessarily looking the same exact way everyday but certainly getting the most out of bear minimum…otherwise it does kind of make me confused as well. i think it's fantastic she's bringing back that nucleus of what gap was about and why it was such a reliable source for solid basics.

also pleased to see in this article,the news that the US will be getting their first COS flagship…about time and i hope it comes with an e-shop.

has GAP been very different tho? as far as i can remember, it has always been about jeans, khaki, blue shirts and beige to brown jackets...

how can you get more basic than that?

actually it's strayed away quite a bit from that core focus since at least 2003…it's always been there but it's been persistently overshadowed for more trendier more competitive approaches along the likes of h&m. gap has struggled quite a bit over the years trying to stay afloat…trying to stay relevant. the problem is that they haven't been able to find a balance between their classics and and more contemporary fashion. it's been sort of one-way traffic in all their attempts and endeavours,and what they've always been known for has been left in the dust so to speak. that's why i feels it's very wise they hired somebody with the experience who understands both sides but can bring in a fresher language.

Unfortunately the clothes don't seem like the've gotten much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessRW
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->