the Gap hires a new designer...

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
Published: Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Gap Appoints New Designer
By Sharon Edelson

NEW YORK — Charlotte Neuville is about to take over the design reins of the iconic $5.7 billion Gap brand.
As executive vice president of design and product development, she will oversee all aspects of product design and development for the brand's adult men's and women's apparel and accessories.
Neuville replaces Pina Ferlisi, who left the company on Tuesday. A Gap spokeswoman would not comment on the circumstances of Ferlisi's departure, saying only, "We decided it was time for a change in the design group."
Ferlisi was one of the first designers in Gap's history to be widely introduced to the world, a big change for a company that took an anonymous approach to its design team. Ferlisi, who had worked with Marc Jacobs, Tommy Hilfiger and Elie Tahari previously, was widely interviewed and photographed in 2003 when her Fifties-inspired styles were introduced and Gap continued to make her available to the fashion press to discuss trends at the retailer.
Neuville ...begins her new job on Monday.
"With more than 20 years of design experience, Charlotte has a strong and proven ability to interpret style and provide leadership in product development," said Harriss in a statement.

The Gap has been struggling in the face of lackluster sales....

To stem the decline, the Gap brand is applying a filter it calls "fresh, casual, American style," with the aim of achieving those qualities in every garment.
The spokeswoman said the fruits of "fresh, casual American style" will be apparent in holiday and spring deliveries. "It's fresh, bright colors and going back to the quintessential Gap feeling," she said. "We know it's time for a change at Gap brand, and Charlotte is going to be a part of it."

Hmn... kind of sounds like gap will be back to solid t-shirts, jeans, and logo sweatshirts :rolleyes: It was nice to be able to pick up an occasional piece there in the last few years. :(

Thank you, softgrey. :flower: Where is this article from, out of curiosity?

Quintessential GAP is boring preppy crap....why would they go back to that?

will wait to see what it looks like before commenting.... thanks for the article softgrey! :flower:

I only really ever shopped at Gap for basics and sometimes they do cute sleepwear and was never really a fan of their trendier stuff.. although I think going back in time to their boring solids and logo tees is definitely a big no-no.

oh sorry...forgot the credit...
it's an excerpt from wwd...

and you are all welcome...:flower:...

one thing is for sure...they need a change...
they've been losing money for awhile now...

Im not shocked by lagging sales. Surprisingly high prices for extremely cheap clothes. I was shocked when it was 68 for a denim jacket made of thin denim with uneven stitching, at least $30 overpriced. Gap's clothes aren't really boring, they're just cheap, any good design is overshadowed by the cheapness of the materials.

Fresh, bright colors. They do that every spring, normally paired with a cheap shapeless corduroy purse with big plastic buttons. American design, oh lord...lots of denim and popped collars basically. OH, and I hate how in Gap they roll up the sleeves on EVERYTHING, I cant help but go and roll them down, I cant stand it, it looks crazy.

I was hoping Gap would become cool, not ultra trendy like H&M but just COOL, I picture the Spring Luella collection as the Spring Gap collection, easy and very cool. In terms of menswear, perhaps Dior Homme...

Last edited by a moderator:
Diorling said:
Im not shocked by lagging sales. Surprisingly high prices for extremely cheap clothes. I was shocked when it was 68 for a denim jacket made of thin denim with uneven stitching, at least $30 overpriced. Gap's clothes aren't really boring, they're just cheap, any good design is overshadowed by the cheapness of the materials.

Fresh, bright colors. They do that every spring, normally paired with a cheap shapeless corduroy purse with big plastic buttons. American design, oh lord...lots of denim and popped collars basically. OH, and I hate how in Gap they roll up the sleeves on EVERYTHING, I cant help but go and roll them down, I cant stand it, it looks crazy.

I was hoping Gap would become cool, not ultra trendy like H&M but just COOL, I picture the Spring Luella collection as the Spring Gap collection, easy and very cool. In terms of menswear, perhaps Dior Homme...

IMAGINE mens GAP GOES DIOR HOMME!!!! that would be hiliarious!!!!!!

Imagine if Gap would stop hiring poor East African children to make their second-rate clothes for a quid a day. Now THAT would make me actually buy from the Gap again.

I assumed there was a head designer and all their little minions creating the designs

From time to time you'll find something at Gap, but I agreed they are suprisingly overpriced. I don't know who this woman is so I won't comment just yet.

I remember when Gap used to be cool, at least back in high school. People used to show off their hoodies with "Gap" emblazoned on it. It was trendy to shop there, like how Abercrombie is now. Be interested to see what the new designer does to try to restore some of that cache.

For me, the moment that Gap lost their coolness was with the "Everybody in khakis" campaign and watching hordes of khaki-clad folks singing and dancing like it was a 50's musical.

yourbestfriend said:
I assumed there was a head designer and all their little minions creating the designs

I'm not really sure *what* I thought was going on there :huh: Perhaps the trained monkeys paid in peanuts scenario suggested in the Louis Vuitton thread?? :lol:

I really wonder why Ferlisi left the company......did she quit herself, or was she fired??
does anyone here know more?

"fresh, casual, American style," ? :shock:
Er is that not what they apply already? Great new design ethic (assume sarcastic tone if reading this aloud)

The article should have finished:

...And the consumers react to this "fresh, casual, American style" theme; sparking a worldwide feeling of complete and utter indifference.

fashionista-ta said:
I'm not really sure *what* I thought was going on there :huh: Perhaps the trained monkeys paid in peanuts scenario suggested in the Louis Vuitton thread?? :lol:

maybe.....:innocent:

I guess we'll have to wait and see what they churn out, theyve been lacking for a while but i really hope they dont go back to logo whored out sweaters, or turn into another abercrombie :yuk:

Yeah, Gap's prices rival Banana Republic, which makes sense, they are from the same company. I prefer Old Navy, cheaper, just with the same quality.

liberty33r1b said:
I really wonder why Ferlisi left the company......did she quit herself, or was she fired??
does anyone here know more?

if you read between the lines, it's pretty clear that she was let go...
but i have no info...

ta-ta...a couple of years ago when the dsgnr came over from marc jacobs...
they made kind of a thing about it...
at least they di within the industry...
i thought it was pretty common knowledge actually....
especially since she had been designing the mj bags and was now designing bags for the GAP...:innocent: ...
i remember everyone in nyc ran out to buy a bag from the gap at that point...

i think that saying they are overpriced is a bit much...
they are around the same price as express and ann taylor no?...
and that is their market i think...more like 20 somethings...just out of college, first job and beyond...(not high school)
it's supposed to be mid way btw banana and old navy...

and personally...
everything i have ever bought at the gap has been good quality and has lasted me for years...
old navy tanks loose their shape after one washing...
and h&m stuff actually disintegrates...:ninja:

i don't think there is any comparison really...
you get what you pay for... :wink: ...imo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->