Gap Hires COS Creator Rebekka Bay *Udate* Bay Out, Wendi Goldman Hired

Unfortunately the clothes don't seem like the've gotten much better.

Unfortunately the same can be said for COS, it seems they are unable to break thru the Jil sander-esque type of aesthetics, and for a while I thought it must be due to bay's departure, only to hear what you just said...

Unfortunately the same can be said for COS, it seems they are unable to break thru the Jil sander-esque type of aesthetics, and for a while I thought it must be due to bay's departure, only to hear what you just said...

Well, I'll gladly take COS's Jil Sander-esque look of Gap's value-priced American moderate look.

My problem with Gap is that the clothes are of poor quality (shrink more in length than width for instance) and are cut very... large... and square. They don't fit me well and they aren't flattering.

AA, H&M and Uniqlo have been eating their lunch (for my money) for years, and rightly so.

I wear basics. I want them to fit though, when I put them on and even after several washings. If she can do something about those things, maybe I'll be back.

the only thing i really ever purchase at GAP is their jeans since i find their straight cuts fit me better and more comfortable than elsewhere--and also more affordable. and i haven't had any issues with quality as a few pairs have lasted me for a number of years now.

A little embarrassed I've championed her hiring so strongly, the current selections at Gap are WORSE THAN EVER.

^not alone,you are. i admit i was optimistic myself but the current ranges aren't doing anything for me at all. but first season....let's hope autumn will be better?

Gap is dyyyyying.

Apparently Bay left at the end of January:

Creative Director Rebekka Bay Has Left Gap
By Véronique Hyland

Gap? Rebekka Bay is doing just that. Bay, a veteran of COS and Danish label Bruuns Bazaar, was appointed creative director in 2012, but today a company statement reveals that she has parted ways with her employer, and will not be replaced in the role. In fact, the position of Gap creative director has been axed entirely. Instead, the design team will take over. Said global brand president Jeff Kirwan in the release, “I would personally like to thank Rebekka for her passion and the creative processes she’s brought to the brand. She has helped develop a dynamic design team, some of the best creative talent in the industry, and I’m confident that our strong bench of senior designers will see the brand into its next phase.”
The company has had several recent shakeups — last week, it closed Piperlime, and under incoming CEO Art Peck, there has been some executive reshuffling. Time will tell if the old faithful "dress normal" slogan will live on.
And, as of this week:

Gap Nabbed Its New Head of Design From C. WonderBy Véronique Hyland

One alumna of Chris Burch's ill-starred C. Wonder has already made her way back into the fashion world. Fast Company reports that Gap has tapped Wendi Goldman, who had been chief product officer at C. Wonder, to serve as the head of its design team. Goldman won't be replacing "eliminated" creative director Rebekka Bay, as the company announced after her departure last month that they will not be filling that role. Goldman is also a vet of Limited Brands, where she helped create Victoria's Secret PINK, and Gap-owned Banana Republic, where she worked in the khaki-crazed '90s.

Bay, while not a household name, was a known quantity in the fashion world — scooped up after launching H&M's higher-end, minimalist-chic sibling COS. However, in keeping with recent hiring trends, Goldman is a quiet industry veteran rather than a fashion-cred-lending talent on the order of Jenna Lyons. Even before he officially took over as Gap's new CEO, Art Peck was making hires at the company and enacting other wide-ranging changes, like shutting down the brand's Piperlime arm. Opting for someone who's more business-oriented to head the design team seems like a sign that Gap is more interested in turning around its sluggish sales than bidding for fashion cred. So much for Kanye's plan to become the brand's Steve Jobs.
both pieces from nymag

i was worried about rebekka bay from reading the article that is posted above...
the fact that she talked about doing research on what GAP IS...
that was verrry disconcerting...

i mean...i think you should hire someone who already knows that...
and maybe that has to be someone older, who remembers it and has firsthand experience wearing the clothes during their life...
and, by default---maybe that has to be an american...

this wendy person sounds right for the job...a real "garmento"...
fingers crossed...

Last edited by a moderator:
i've been wondering about this situation because it didn't seem like rebekkah was doing much to make gap relevant again...in fact it felt it was going further down the barrel. personally i hope they get it together and get back on track because to be honest i prefer their jeans compared to others at that price-range but the last couple seasons i've been unimpressed with the selection and the prices keep increasing.

The Be Normal/Normcore campaign was a huge embarrassment for Gap. Sure, she wasn't responsible for the ads, but she was responsible for the clothes in them and the brand image that went along with it. It seemed obvious that they were going to have an overhaul after that disaster. I just can't imagine bringing someone in from a brand that failed is the way to go. I know brands fail even when they are good, but C. Wonder wasn't. It was generic, contemporary boutique crap.

As a valley girl at heart, I have a soft spot for the gap. But other than a couple classic cardigans, I don't think I have bought anything from them in a few years. It just isn't worth the price point.

The Be Normal/Normcore campaign was a huge embarrassment for Gap. Sure, she wasn't responsible for the ads, but she was responsible for the clothes in them and the brand image that went along with it. It seemed obvious that they were going to have an overhaul after that disaster. I just can't imagine bringing someone in from a brand that failed is the way to go. I know brands fail even when they are good, but C. Wonder wasn't. It was generic, contemporary boutique crap.

As a valley girl at heart, I have a soft spot for the gap
. But other than a couple classic cardigans, I don't think I have bought anything from them in a few years. It just isn't worth the price point.

please pardon my ignorance...
but what is the connection between being a valley girl and liking the gap?
:unsure:

ah, yes...the suburban mall...^_^...
that is def a big part of the gap's heritage...
funny- i didn't think about it, but it's so true...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessRW
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->