Hair Salons Recommendations - Toronto

For Cuts: Without question BENI from Salon Jie. He is magical with scissors, the most amazing person, and just fantastic all around. The salon is beautiful, the staff unparralleled...just amazing.

For Colour: Brian from GLO in Yorkville-I've been having my hair coloured since I was 14-and I have never had more beautiful, natural yet bright, colour. Highlights to dream of-not gross gina woodbridge highlights. Can't reccomend either of them more.

AHH I am so conflicted!
I don't want to spend more than $40 (excl. tax) on woman's cut/wash/style.
Who should I ask for at JC Salons? Or should I go someplace else?

Ok.. I am also on the search for the perfect haircut... I am hard to please... here are the places I've been to over the years/my review... As well, when people post good/bad experiences would you also mind including the general type of haircut/style you have or are interested in so i know..? so that it's relevant to each of us (ie. all of my experiences are for short cuts that are just under the ear- to mid length/just touching the shoulder hair)
Coupe bizarre: I went here for 6 years through junior/high school and had some great cuts, and some not so great... they seem to specialize in shorter hair/more funky cuts and are interested in texture and layering.. i've never gotten colour here. As well - if you're a student (univ even) there is a discount. (I like Laire best, if he's still there, Nikol also had interesting/funky cuts...)
Fiorio: I've been to both the Yorkville location and the one in Richmond Hill - I always got a senior stylist and found their cuts to be very reliant on the blow dry (once washed, they were basic cuts), and also I noticed their cuts made me look 'older' (but not in a good way), i didn't go back to either location
Civello: Queen: saw Dylan after recommendations from various people, I felt that she wasn't very warm/the cut was unimpressive; she also notified me as soon as I sat down her usually time/session is 45 mins, which I felt was a little abrupt (I have no issue of 45 mins, and often stylists finish within that time for me - but being told this before any introductions felt strange). iirc she was 80-85.00 for the cut pre tip etc. Saw Tomoko for colour - I wasn't impressed at the time, but so far the best higlights I've ever gotten, I like how they were placed/the thought.
Aveda Academy: I thought i'd try it out, since it was so affordable. The cuts were very basic (as in straight across), I did appreciate the time spent, but the cuts were quite boring
TAZ: I saw Franco after getting a recommendation - the haircut was middle of the road (compared to many of my previous experiences), he was fun and very talkative, but that seemed to be it... iirc it cost ~80 for my cut, if you have long hair it would be over 100 to see him
Toni & Guy: Yorkville, I saw Daniel (i think) a senior stylist, it was a fun haircut that I did enjoy at the time, I don't remember how I felt about it as it grew out... but maybe i'll go back, since it wasn't so bad?
Finally,
Flip Hair Design: I have been going here for a few years now, and have been seeing Greg (the owner). Got the best haircut ever the very first time... I've been going back trying to recreate the first time (with no success, so essentially the past 3 years have been a disappointment - I went to TAZ within this time frame and am now on a search for a new salon/stylist...). I also got colour done by Michael and it wasn't that great (you coudln't see the colour in my hair--- note, I have dark brown asian hair).

So.. the search continues, any recommendations would be MUCH appreciated! :-) I am willing to go back to salons I've been to before for a new stylist and also welcome any suggestions for new salons.. I'd ideally like to cap my spending @ 70.00, but will spent upto 90 for the perfect haircut (so that'd be a stylist that normally charges ~120-130 for long hair?)

Ideally, looking for recommendations from someone who has mid length hair (just touching the shoulder), who likes current/slightly edgy looks with layers etc (not just the straight across cut). I am not that interested in colour.. I'm looking to book my appointment within the next few weeks, as well - I don't care if the salon isn't well known/expensive etc... I'm currently looking at:
Shagg
The Lid Lounge...

For any out of towners/travellers, Shampoo Planet in London, ON is great! but I can't make it out there for a haircut...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would never go to Jie! I went there once and paid a couple of hundred dollars for a basic trim and "style" for my formal and all they did was blow my hair out..

Deliniation is good for basic cuts and its only around $40 and they also do good color. Joseph and Caroline are the best.

I like coupe bizarre for color but i'e never gone there for a cut.

for the guys i recommend toniandguy....
I had two asymmetric cuts there and liked it. Worth the money

Has anyone been to Haute Coiffure in the Manulife centre on Bloor street? I have a coupon?/certificate thing for it where I can go in for 4 treatments incl a cut, shampoo, style; manicure/pedicure/massage; accent highlights/multi design method; 50% off evening up do/custom cut, shampoo style

I'm not expecting much..for I think it was only $50 or so in total for all of the above....but it seemed like a really good deal, even for just a trim or something! A lot of salons seem to pass these coupons out every year around the downtown area..specifically at the campus.

Anyone who can tell me their expereince at Haute Coiffure appreciated! Thanks =)

I'm looking for a perfect blonde colorist in Toronto.Have been looking for such a long time....search never seems to end..sigh:smile:Okay,so I tried Niki at Jie Salon,and I'm not very impressed.any suggestions? who does the best blonde in your opinion in Toronto?
Thanks!:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

Are there any recommendations for someone with thick, long, curly hair? I'm a student so I prefer a cut that costs $40 or less but I am willing to spend up to $60 for a great cut.

i lovve this thread. had some bad experiences in the past...thank god you guys are here to prevent another one

Any other recommendations or horror stories, anyone?

I'm looking for choppy razored multiple layers, so I'm thinking Coupe Bizarre? Or any other suggestions?

I just went and had my hair done at Fiorio on Yonge near St. Clair. Model cut and colour.

I think they did a good job, you're treated well, and they don't take short cuts with highlights the way they did at Toni and Guy. The cut was pretty good. I tend to be critical so that is almost like praise. I don't think the fringe came out perfect, but they lightened my hair so that it can swish now, which i really like. All in all i was happy with them.

I recommend You Salon & Spa
[SIZE=-1]8950 Yonge Street, Richmond Hill, ON L4C 6Z7

I had my hair cut there and they washed it, cut it very nicely, gave me these cool sideburns (that I was complemented on for weeks!) and at the end she gelled my hair and gave me tips on how to best style it. All for $18.

My stylist's name was Christine.. she was very friendly and I'll definitely be going back to her!

:flower:
[/SIZE]

I am so glad that I found this....

I want to try new hair stylists..... The asian one I went for twice was decent, but I am always looking for something better.

I've been to Lilliana at the Holt Renfrew salon too and I agree, she's awesome. She's hilarious and extremely chatty and gives you what you want.

Anyone looking for colour should go to Blyss salon in Yorkville. Amanda. If I was a blonde, judging on her hair alone I would be a life-long customer. She has the nicest Kate Bosworth blonde. As it was she gave me some really nice highlights. What I liked was how she doesn't just tell you what you want to hear- she explains how come colours might not be good for you, makes you consider touch-ups and maintenance, and in general did a really great job.

I'm looking to trim my hair since I haven't had it trimmed since February, and I think I'm going to try Civello's on Queen. I've heard good things.

Civello on Bloor has been mentioned so little compared to the Queen one!

I love the Bloor one though, everyone is so nice and I'm obsessed with the Carribean pedicure, they use this wonderful warm gooey nice-smelling Aveda stuff and wrap your legs in hot towels and it feels like you're on a beach in Hawaii. It's that good. It's also the most gorgeous salon I've ever seen inside, and it's a block away from Holt Renfrew, which in and of itself is a selling point.

I highly reccomend Kate for cuts and Carrie for color, especially blondes. My mom is a pretty dark brunette and she was highlighted dirty blonde and it looked amazing, I'm sure it would if you wanted to go lighter too.

Where in Toronto do I...

.. get a haircut that'll have texture, and my individual style and lots of oomph!?

Along the lines of..

brad-pitt-picture-018.jpg

brad-pitt-picture-011.jpg

brad-pitt-picture-007.jpg

brad-pitt-picture-003.jpg

..and no, I'm not a Brad Pitt fan. He's the only one who has pictures of close to funky hair styles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->