Hedi Slimane exits Saint Laurent; Anthony Vaccarello hired

Anja Rubik as "the face of the new Saint Laurent woman"?
Wasn't she also the face of one of Hedi's campaign? I remember her being ver chic with a slim fitted smoking and sharp bangs.

It will be very 80's judging by this. I'm not sure about the denim jacket but i'll wait for the whole thing to judge it.

Anja Rubik as "the face of the new Saint Laurent woman"?
Wasn't she also the face of one of Hedi's campaign? I remember her being ver chic with a slim fitted smoking and sharp bangs.

lol exactly. And Anja is already so tied with his own brand, it would be more exciting if he had picked a different "muse".

And it's a quite confusing that he went from the other campaign being all about fresh young newfaces, to this one with a glamazon supermodel.

Hmmm, Definitely going to be one of the most anticipated shows of the season. I guess it's safe to say his Saint Laurent will be a bit more glamorous at least.

lol exactly. And Anja is already so tied with his own brand, it would be more exciting if he had picked a different "muse".

And it's a quite confusing that he went from the other campaign being all about fresh young newfaces, to this one with a glamazon supermodel.

I guess now that he is putting his own brand on hiatus there won't be much separation between the two.

I like the photo well enough, I just don't know that I like the direction it hints at. It seems like it'll be one of those fairly easy to predict sort of things, like I kinda know what the collection is going to look like before seeing it.

Those smokings look poorly constructed and sort of cheap.

From what i've been told, his Saint Laurent will be more like an elevated version of Slimane: think rich party girl instead of LA indie Rock girl.
He will have little (to no) involvment in the menswear part. They hired back some people from Slimane's L.A. team in Paris.

The current model is the most successful for them now so do not expect drastic changes à la Pucci.

I actually like this...Mainly because no matter what, Vaccarello (i hope) will neer put a trench coat worn over a tank top with bleached jeans and rain boots...

I don;t think he's a good match but I'm excited to see the collection

probably will be like what Dior Homme is with Kris Van Asche, safe, wearable and sellable but not interesting.

“My Idea of YSL Lies in the Attitude”—Anthony Vaccarello Talks Saint Laurent
“Is Anthony nervous? Everyone keeps asking that, but he’s not, at all,” says Lucien Pagès, laughing. Lucien handles press for the house of Yves Saint Laurent, which, at 8:00 p.m. Paris time tonight, will pass the baton from Hedi Slimane to Anthony Vaccarello, the Brussels-born designer who was hired this past spring. It’s a sunny Monday Paris afternoon about thirty or so hours before his debut, and I’m at the Grand Palais, in a labyrinthian arrangement of cavernous rooms, to preview and chat with Anthony about the collection, and how it feels to take on one of the most storied houses ever.

Full disclosure: I’ve known him since the earliest days of his own label, the one he shuttered recently to focus on YSL. I think the first show of his I saw was at the Joyce Gallery in the Palais Royal, in a near-pitch-dark room with half a dozen girls wearing some of the tiniest, sexiest, and coolest dresses in aeons. Since then, he has carved out a solid place for himself as a designer who has the ability to make girls look hot: Remember Karlie in that black swimsuit dress? Gisele in the metal encrusted mini at the Met Gala? Who doesn’t?

This past summer, I had gone to visit him at the YSL HQ at Rue de l’Université, but now in the Grand Palais, where a whole room of technicians and seamstresses have been installed just to complete the fittings, the monumental role he has taken on hits home. Still, yes, indeed: Anthony does seem relaxed and in good spirits, taking time to chat after he and Arnaud Michaux, his life and his design partner, fitted a runway look on . . . well, you’ll see.

It’s more than 24 hours to your first YSL show. What are you doing between now and then?
We are doing fittings. We did the looks yesterday, waiting for the girls to arrive to decide which looks they should wear, which direction, to build the story of the show.

What did you think it was important to say about your Saint Laurent debut—the mood, the idea, the attitude?
I wanted to have fun. I wanted to have a clin d’oeil—a wink—to Yves Saint Laurent, rather than. . . . He did so many things, I don’t want to repeat the things he has done. It’s not about the garments, my idea of YSL lies in the attitude and how we handle things. There are fabrics like leather, vinyl, velvet, lace, but then they’re put on a girl of today.

When you say a girl of today, do you mean it’s more casual, is it more about the street?
No, it’s a girl who knows Yves Saint Laurent—maybe she had a mother who wore YSL, or she just knows what he did in the ’60s, ’70s, and ’80s, and she is taking those references, and she is mixing it with her own personality and her own wardrobe, to make it personal. She has a lot of respect for the past, but she’s not dressing like she’s stuck in the past, she’s dressed for now.

Was there anything in particular you were looking at from all the things that Yves Saint Laurent did when you were doing your research?
It is a dress from 1982.

One dress?
One dress. I mean, I was obsessed with this one from the time I started. And it’s funny. When I met Pierre Bergé—he had asked me to come visit Fondation Yves Saint Laurent—that dress was just next to the office of Yves Saint Laurent. So when I left that meeting I was like, okay, that is a sign, the dress that I have to continue working from. So with that dress, we deconstructed it, we changed the fabric—it was in crepe de chine; we did it in leather, for example—we cut it up: we had a lot of fun with that one dress.

What was it like to meet Pierre Bergé?
It was amazing, very impressive—he is Yves Saint Laurent, he built Yves Saint Laurent, so knowing him, knowing all the stories around them, it’s so important. It would be impossible to start here without meeting him.

How did you meet?
I emailed him the day of the announcement, and said I would like to meet him. I think he was touched by it. In the end, the meeting was quite long; we talked for two, three hours.

What did you chat about?
The first thing he told me, and I really had and have it in mind: Do not copy Yves Saint Laurent. That’s why I wanted to meet him, I wanted to know things, his opinion; it was important for me to hear that. That’s why I can’t be literal: even if I start with that one dress of his, you will never see that dress in the show, it’s always a wink to that dress. It’s also not the most famous dress he ever did—you would really have to know the story of Yves Saint Laurent to understand where the collection started, I think.

What does it mean to be coming into a house that is so iconic? Is it daunting? Or is that a stupid question to ask?
I’m trying to not think about it; just to see all the archives and the whole story of the house, your head can turn, but it’s important to go forward, to see what you can do with it, without copying the past. If you attempt to do the amazing things he did, the incredible things he brought to fashion, you will never re-create the past, so you always have to think of now for Yves Saint Laurent. It’s not even really thinking about the future with this house: it always has to be about the now.

YSL did all those incredible couture collections, but he also built a really modern wardrobe for women. Was the idea of a modern wardrobe important to what you’re doing?
It’s actually both. You don’t only want to do the classic wardrobe he did, because, I think it would look like, like, not . . . so interesting for me to do that. YSL is also couture, it’s also ateliers, it’s French. It’s a luxury to have all these people working with me, it’s important to see that Saint Laurent can be high level, even with the most street things.

Tell me about that; I have known you a long time, I know how hard you and Arnaud worked with a tiny, tiny team, so suddenly to go into this huge house. . . what’s the adjustment you needed to make?
You learn to lose a bit of control, which is good, because we were always controlling everything. I am learning to trust people who have a lot of experience. It is a different way to work. But at the same time, we start with lots of people around, in a huge group, and at the end of the day, I realize that he and I have ended up in the smallest room in the atelier, working on the mannequin, and then we’re like [laughs], ****, we’re back where we started. It’s like a reflex. I also used to try things on my assistant in my own atelier, and sometimes when the fit model isn’t around, I am calling Emily, who’s my assistant here, and it’s just the three of us, trying on stuff.

Tell me about your first campaign, which you did earlier this year, which was your first, but basically had no clothes in it; only a sense of the casting you were drawn to. It was quite radical to remove the fashion, and just focus on your idea of female and male beauty today.
To me, that first campaign was like a white page. We wanted to start with something clean, something fresh, no clothes, skin, only face, and a touch of jeans, because that is to me, that is the most modern thing to wear, jeans.

Didn’t YSL always say that he wished he had invented jeans?
Yeah, he did! It was another wink to him; jeans and skin.

What about the casting?
There was in the casting, a mix . . . I don’t like to say that it’s white, black. It is just the world of today. It’s not something I needed to do. It’s something I wanted to do. It is the reality of today, without being too political about it; it can seem forced when you talk about it. It’s just natural to have those women, who are amazing, no matter where they’re from.

What was also quite radical was to do a second campaign, which just broke in some October magazines, and online too, of Anja Rubik wearing some looks from this first collection, before it’s on the runway. I feel like in the past a designer’s debut has always been shrouded in the deepest secrecy before the show . . .
Why I did it? To show the collection, to make it more present than just from being seen in the show. I don’t think it even matters if the clothes in the campaign aren’t available now—they’re not—but I think it’s about image. Advertising doesn’t have to only be related to the selling of what you make. It also prolongs the life of the show, beyond those 10 minutes it takes to happen. And the fact that Anja is on the street gives the clothes another context, and one of them—the swimsuit and the denim jacket—won’t even be in the show. It’s another viewpoint on what I am doing.

And you brought Anja from your own world to this new one . . .
I really wanted to work with Anja. I don’t think you can do this on your own. You need to have your people around you, those that have helped you. You’ve grown up with them.

I wanted to ask you a little about what you were saying to me recently about good taste, bad taste, and walking the line between those two things . . .
I think that even Yves Saint Laurent, even if it became bourgeoisie in the end, he didn’t like the idea of good taste. With Saint Laurent, it’s always chic in your mind, but it is a chic that has to be fun sometimes. There has to be a twist. You can be chic with the wrong pair of shoes, the wrong lipstick. To see the failure of the woman, that’s chic, and it’s what brings emotion.

Obviously, YSL is a very iconic French house, everything is beautifully made—I’ve just looked at those samples! But we live in a world now where the definition of luxury is in a state of complete change. How do you feel you need to express the luxury of Yves Saint Laurent now?
I think luxury shouldn’t look like “luxury” today. It’s about the finishing inside the clothes, or the quality of the fabric without it necessarily looking luxurious. It’s about the attitude of the girl, also, it is not necessarily the clothes; you can have a luxury T-shirt and luxury jeans with some really great accessories. You can find really good clothes everywhere now. It’s the attitude. You can look cheap or you can look luxurious because [laughs] you are cheap or you are luxurious.
vogue

And the fact that Anja is on the street gives the clothes another context, and one of them—the swimsuit and the denim jacket—won’t even be in the show. It’s another viewpoint on what I am doing.
:clap::clap:

The Collection was bland in my opinion. It was nothing new, nothing original, nothing innovative.

Hedi Slimane launches new legal attack on Kering
On 5th October, French news agency AFP learned from a source close to the matter that Hedi Slimane, the former Creative Director of Yves Saint Laurent, has launched a new legal offensive against the label's owner, the Kering group.

The darling of the fashion world was already engaged in litigation with Kering, about the enforcement of a $13 million non-competition clause, and according to the source he is now demanding a sum of "nearly €10 million” from François-Henri Pinault's group. The sum corresponds, according to Slimane, to the variable part of his remuneration for the last year he spent in charge of the legendary fashion house, explained the source.

Still according to the source, the talented designer is demanding that Kering abide by a partnership agreement giving Slimane certain rights, notably the right of access to information, as a minority shareholder in Saint Laurent. The case about the partnership agreement should be discussed on 19th October in a hearing at the Paris trade court.

As for the non-competition clause, at the end of June Kering was sentenced to pay $13 million to Hedi Slimane, but the group has appealed against the ruling. Questioned by AFP, Kering has declined to comment.

Hedi Slimane, 47, took charge of design at Saint Laurent in 2012, after a brilliant career at Louis Vuitton and Dior Homme.

In the course of four years, he reawakened the venerable fashion house, by attracting a younger, more directional clientèle thanks to his androgynous looks, fitted cuts and skinny jeans. The label's sales sky-rocketed, revenue rising from €353 million in 2011 to €974 million in 2015.

For Slimane, it was a return to his roots, since he first cut his designer teeth at Yves Saint Laurent, between 1996 and 2000, as collection director for menswear.
us.fashionnetwork

If the sad rumour that Donatella will no longer be designing Versace is true, I think that Hedi could be a right man for that position. He is not afraid to take risks and to ignite sexuality and glamour. And he knows how to make houses big again, which is what Versace needs. Being able to design both menswear and womenswear he could realise his full talent and having access to the archives I believe he could bring back a lot of interesting things with a new twist.

^^
Versace has been more successful in the past 5 years that it has ever been since Gianni's death. Giving the fact that it's one of the big house which make a business by selling clothes (more than accessories), it's quite major.

Hedi is great but you gives him too much power. He is an incredible menswear designer but just a decent stylist. Versace needs to be designed with a major D.

Riccardo is the right man for them.
We all knows what Hedi's dream is and it's far from Versace.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Syailendra Aditya
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->