How an It bag Changed My Life

PrincessImp.

Of too many minds
Reaction score
Article reproduced from fashion magazine Her World, Sept 2005

How an It bag changed my life

If you are in deep need for some Venus envy, hang a beautiful new designer bag on your arms. It’s the fastest route to respect from women, as RUTH CHEW quickly finds out

You don’t need an Oxbridge degree, a million-dollar trust fund or a Nobel Peace Prize to earn the respect of women these days. Just head out to the shops and buy yourself a designer bag. Better yet, make it the It bag of the season.

Call me shallow but I’ve found it’s my shortcut to earning a few knowing looks of approval from women all around. After all, I don’t have an Ivy League education nor a fat bank account. I’ve made no scholarly breakthrough discoveries nor do I have success stories with a chain of food shops or online businesses to shout about. The respect I’ve earned lately is purely from my choice of bag.

I discovered this after I bought my first designer bag. A seasonal piece on sale over Christmas, it had a signature print from the brand’s Spring collection. Despite being a seasonal item, the bag’s famous shape and print caught the eye of every women whose nose I swung it under.

Getting the It bag is like scoring a coveted piece of jewellery or obtaining a limited edition Vertu mobile phone. Much like kids in the playground, when children get envious of one another’s special toys, having a bag in high demand is equivalent to getting your hands on the special edition 12-inch Star Wars collectible.

As someone without a fashion background, I am used to women ignoring me and my opinions on fashion. What does someone like me know about, say, the current Autumn/Winter voluminous skirt?, I can see them thinking.

But things changed after I bought the bag. Suddenly everyone wanted my opinion on the latest runway collections. Others volunteer information on new arrivals at the stores.

I don’t know what it is that elevated my status in their eyes – was it the beautiful leather accents on the bag which made me appear to be slightly put-together? Or was it the fact that the bag reeked of money spent (very foolishly, my husband would remind me sometimes) and that made me seem affluent, well-read and almost stylish?

Think of it like men and their cars. Say an average Joe acquires a new fast, powerful runner of a car like a sporty BMW or Ferrari. His friends would automatically look at him in a different light and even put him on a pedestal as someone with taste (and a lot of money to splurge).

Jennifer, my well-heeled friend, has noticed how often her limited-edition Lulu Guinness in violet has broken the ice for her, turning strangers who like labels into friends. She says: “Your bag is a reflection of your personal sense of style.”

My close friend Fiona got her first It bag recently. She tells me the looks she gets now from women in the office are different. “It’s as if I’ve found the cure for cancer or something. Everyone’s oohing and aaahing at it, and the female colleagues who never used to chat with me about clothes, bags and shoes, are now talking to me,” she shares. She’s reached handbag nirvana – where her quick fingers and a swipe of a credit card gained her secret entry to a circle of modish women.

Not who you know but…

Who’d have thought that, these days, it’s not what you’ve accomplished nor who you’ve become, but what you carry, that earns you respect. I always thought respect is earned with hard works, sound values or a successful career, but judging from my recent experience, it seems that admiration is easier to achieve just by carrying the right accessory. But hey, if the shoe fits, or in this case, if the bag does, why not?

Just how did things get this shallow, or worse, this easy? Basically, it seems that a good designer bag represents the finer things in life. Like wine connoisseurs who can tell, from a whiff of a cork, which region of France the wine comes from, someone carrying a designer bag looks as if they can tell the difference between mass market and quality.

To leave no room for doubt, all It-bag ladies advise that you bone up on everything you need to know about your accessory.

Understanding how many steps it takes to make the Chanel Ligne Cambon (last year’s bag du jour for Spring, by the way) is equivalent to getting a PhD in cardiology..well, almost.

My girlfriend Debbie, the proud owner of a few Louis Vuitton bags, explains in a litany: “Some brands like Hermes and Louis Vuitton only choose leather that is flawless. The animal skin doesn’t have a pimple scar or even a mosquito bite on it. Such quality bags are classic and last forever because of the intricate work that goes on behind the scenes. The woman who can appreciate this is most likely the one who has a certain air of style and fashion sense.”

Your research should go way beyond just reading what’s in the catalogue, she adds.

“You must fully grasp the history of a fashion house or the inspiration of the design,” Debbie warns.

Oh, so now it goes beyond the brand, its history, the inspiration behind the design, the price tag and even how it’s made. What’s really the connection between all this deep reading and your bag’s cache?

Fiona has a theory to quell this confusion: “Think of your handbag as your country club membership. If you have the right one, then you’ve earned your place in a high-flyers club.”

Why hadn’t I thought of that? All it takes is a little research into the collections from Gucci, Prada, Chanel, Salvatore Ferragamo and all those other big names, pick and invest money in the right bag, and I would forever be held in esteem.

Staying alive

Or would I? How long does forever last in this fickle world of fashion? Unlike a scientific discovery, which you can make money from, handbags are a different kind of asset.

Just as each season comes and goes, so do It bags. Each It bag will have its day in the limelight before it gives way to the next It bag. Unlike the classics like Hermes’ Birkin or Kelly, Louis Vuitton’s Speedy and even the relaunched Chanel 2.55, which have maintained their cult status from the time they were introduced till today, most other It bags share only a short moment of glory.

Unless you buy a classic, you’re probably looking at six months’ worth of respect before the next It bag comes along to dethrone yours. And for the average girl-next-door, that’s like investing a month’s pay on an item that will not earn you an interest – financially, that is.

But I think of it differently; Say you buy a bag at $3,000. Spread that over six months and it’s an affordable $500 a month. If you can stretch it out for a year, it comes up to just $250 a month. Most women spend twice as much on spa visits and clothes to keep their image up to date.

Think about it. Instant respect. And my It bag earns me more respect than my HDB flat, without having to take out a 15-year loan for it. When you put it like that, it doesn’t seem too far-fetched an idea for an investment does it?

For now, I’ve got only the one designer handbag and have to spin it out for as long as I can. I am sober enough to realize that it’ll be another six months before I can afford the next one. So till then, I’ll be doing my research, by leafing through magazines, look books, window-shopping and putting money aside in my piggy bank. To steal a tagline from a famous ad, It bag: $3000. Respect: Priceless.

Thank You Chiangsi! That's a fabulous article and true really :lol: :kiss:

This was an article which I came across in a Singaporean mag on designer bags.
I wouldn't consider the focus of this article to be on It bags by any means, it seems like the focus is more on how carrying a designer bag gets you instant respect.

She does bring up a valid point in this article - namely how designer goods will get you better treatment - this is especially true in most Asian societies.

However, I am amused by how shallow the author and her friends seems.

A bag at the end of the day is just a bag..it will only make you the life of the party for so long.

What's more irritating is how I can envision how this article will make all the clueless office girls run out to buy Louis Vuitton bags..and on yea, this article came with a picture of the Chloe Paddington as well :ninja:

Aha major advertising for Chloe... well having the it bag does really get women instant attention if nothing else so she's right in that. But like you say she is pretty shallow. But this would appeal to all the shallow women who care for appearances as much as she does I guess

^ I'll bet...it'll definitely be good advertising for Chloe'

It's a little annoying to have this article pop up in a magazine that enjoys nation-wide circulation though..you'll think that the editors would be more discerning, and push for a little more depth on the topic.

I can understand the views expressed in this article but I think it takes a person with very little self-esteem to believe that hanging a certain bag from your arm wins you respect, and that it is a shortcut to it (over career and other forms of self-achievement and success). I believe that it is one thing to give in to a weakness (or several) once in a while to covet *that* bag of your dreams; and it's even okay to WANT it to be admired and gushed over. If a person hands over a certain amount of money for a material object, there is nothing wrong with wanting it to be appreciated. But I think the world starts to become a scary place when women will resort to price tags and cash in order to win respect, especially from other women. What does that say about women in general?

I have purchased two high-end handbags recently. I obtained the first by twisting my boyfriend's arm; the second through a moment of sheer greediness and lust. Add that to the two I've already got and my collection is miniscule and hardly worth mentioning compared to what other women own. Today I bought a very cheap vintage-looking bag that I won't cry over if it gets (1) stolen (2) breaks (3) saturated with beer when I go out tonight. And I love it just as much as the others. My point is there will be women who will be envied for the bags that she can carry. But I think the crucial word is *can*. There are other ways of earning respect from people. And I wish that women would consider that before resorting to yet another designer buy.

chiangsi1980 said:
This was an article which I came across in a Singaporean mag on designer bags.
I wouldn't consider the focus of this article to be on It bags by any means, it seems like the focus is more on how carrying a designer bag gets you instant respect.

She does bring up a valid point in this article - namely how designer goods will get you better treatment - this is especially true in most Asian societies.

However, I am amused by how shallow the author and her friends seems.

A bag at the end of the day is just a bag..it will only make you the life of the party for so long.

What's more irritating is how I can envision how this article will make all the clueless office girls run out to buy Louis Vuitton bags..and on yea, this article came with a picture of the Chloe Paddington as well :ninja:

That is right chiangis1980, I am from Malaysia and am amazed how brand concious our society is. Then again, brand names here are ridiculously expansive compared to the States so I am not surprise if this article came up .And our society place importance on label and asthetics, not the quality of the workmanship or material. That is why brand names like Dockers is really a high status brand here in Malaysia and disgustingly expansive but the quality is a joke,Compared to if you buy here in the States of course:huh:
People covet the IT bag too in Malaysia and there are cheap knockoffs everywhere in ChinaTown KL. Everytime I go back to visit , I just wanna laugh to see the cheap knock -offs..:sick: And they are so proud of carrying it around, you can see it on their faces and it is so funny:lol: when you can tell the fakeness a mile away...

Well said, i_love_chloe and I agree with your words.

This article definitely had an interesting topic, but my main grouse with it was how badly it was handled. The article left me with a lot more questions and criticisims, and I think a few pieces of isolated ancedotal incidents was hardly sufficient enough to justify the point that the author was trying to bring across in the article.

Worse still, notice how thrilled she was over her first LOGO-ed designer bag? So much for this magazine promoting style and good taste among women :innocent:

Thanks so much for posting this article, Chiangsi!! Karma and :flower: for you. I thought her writing style is pretty boring, or is it me? :ninja:

Ugh, why did they ever put a Paddington with the article? The one she bought seemed to be a logo-ed bag. Or is the Paddington considered the It Bag for now?

For better service, a smile and warmth brings me further than a designer bag in most cases. There are several times when I went into LV or Chanel with my Accessorize or Kate Spade (I wouldn't consider this high fashion so ... ) and I get really good service, much better service than the reporters in Urban got anyway.

As for myself, well, I got the bags because I love the feel of the leather, the colours and how it works with my wardrobe. My workplace aka my hangout area is not in town, and for all that it's worth, everyone around me doesn't give a care what bag I carry. Unless it's really different and unique and most It bags aren't, as compared to my more whimsical bags. They also don't give me (or my bags) a double take when I carry my Balenciaga or my Chanel. If I want that respect, I would probably be carrying my logo-ed LVs wherever I go.

And when I'm with friends or colleagues or relatives, I would actually prefer them not to notice my bags. I have more friends who don't care for such things than friends who do. They are all family women. If I have a baby in hand, I'm sure they will give me all the respect and admiration. :innocent:

But I do look at other women's bags. It's not because they're carrying It bags. It's just that I love to look at bags, especially on other women's arms, how they carry the bags, how the bags look on them, etc. Cheap or branded, I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the article:flower:

i don't know if i agree or not, but i have to say that the right accesorries can upgrade any wardrobe and look more professional. but it is up to that person. your bag can only take you so far...

Mmm, I didn't think the author was shallow ... after all, she realizes there are better/more appropriate ways to get respect, and she didn't buy the bag for this purpose. Now that she's experienced it, though, she's a bit addicted. I would say perhaps she is a bit insecure, or has a strong need to please people. I would say shallow is when you don't realize that an It bag is a really stupid way to get "respect" (*cough*RachelZoeLindsayLohan*cough*). Wendy Wasserstein wrote a really funny piece about the difference carrying an It bag made to her in Bazaar about a year ago.

kare2711 said:
And when I'm with friends or colleagues or relatives, I would actually prefer them not to notice my bags. I have more friends who don't care for such things than friends who do. They are all family women. If I have a baby in hand, I'm sure they will give me all the respect and admiration. :innocent:

But I do look at other women's bags. It's not because they're carrying It bags. It's just that I love to look at bags, especially on other women's arms, how they carry the bags, how the bags look on them, etc. Cheap or branded, I don't care.

kare, I agree totally with you. I NEVER tell anyone about my bags, never tell them where i buy them or for how much. I buy my bags sole because I love the quality, the feel and, because where I live at least, nobody else is carrying these kinds of bags. My friends do say that they look expensive, and that they can tell I spend money on my bags but that's as far as the conversation goes.

And I also like checking out other women's bags, clothes, shoes, etc. I like looking for new ideas for my own wardrobe, checking out other people's styles and just people looking in general. Quite frankly, I would be appalled if I got special treatment because someone recognized my bag - says something about character, no?

(steps off the soapbox - sorry 'bout that!)

i really enjoyed the article...even though i dont agree with it 100%...i find it funny though that woman carrying logo-ed designer bags or designer knock offs ,most seem to get a little attitudy like they deserve more respect because they have an it bag. i have two LV's that i just purchased this year. it wasn't for the monogram and to have people look at me, but because after years of admiring them on the arms of other women (addmitted bag watcher!) i finally started making enough to buy one...and then i fell in love and splurged a little. i am a college student and even though im young, i've done pretty good for myself. i have paid for schooling alll by myself, i have designed handbags for dooney and bourke (not that im proud of the company and their psuedo design practices, but who can say they went to italy w/ the company for a week when they were 18??) and i have had a lot of luck in my 21 years, and im have never been in a priveledged financial family situation either. i buy handbags because i love them. i appreciate designs and make my own. my boyfriend thinks im a little nutty, but if i earn the money i think i should be able to spend it the way i'd choose. at least im not asking him to buy them from me....when i tell him that, he zips it :smile:
where i work, i have A TON of women coming in looking like j-lo drag queens and fake botox hollywood wannabees, and most of them have the fake bags. it really disgusts me because they are so into that elitest lifestyle thing and think that all these material things are going to make people wait on them hand and foot. somehow its like a weirdo power trip and they think they can be the bigest b*tches, and you have to treat them as royalty. it really pisses me off. if i ever go out and shop, i try to be as courteous and friendly as possible, because i like to be polite, and i know that it does make me feel good when i make someone smile. i dont expect any higher treatment because of my bags, but then again, i wont tolerate being disrespected either...

i think a lot of woman who see designer labels as a sign of automatic respect, need to seriously work on their personalities because using designer goods as a scapegoat for an empty life and personlity is just messed up. its truely who you are as a person thats going to determine whether or not people think you are worthy of respect or not, not anything on your arm or shoulder.

:wink: and now i'll crawl down my soap box as well....

Interesting article Chaingsi, thanks for posting :flower:

I do agree it is shallow to gain other womens respect by what bag you are carrying. Yes, it is nice for other people to notice it and it does feel good to be honest when they are slightly jealous..but I know theres more to life than any designer handbag. I want other womens respect because of who I am as a person..not just by what bag I am carrying :doh:

It really p*ssed me off the other day when I was carrying a cheap handbag out shopping and a stupid woman was being bitchy just because it was cheap! :angry: Although I have several designer bags, I feel sad that some women in general feel the need to carry designer ones all the time. :yuk:

No matter how shallow this article may be, the overall point is accurate- physiognomy matters. It's just the world we live in, if you see a person with anything that may be overly pricey, it signifies money or in this case of this article: respect. I (of course, being apart of TFS) am aware of what's the "it" bag and how hard it may be to get your hands on it- and so that means if I see someone carrying that bag, I'm gonna notice. So far it hasn't meant that I'll treat them with higher regard or respect, but as much as I hate to admit it, I'll most likely look at them in a different light.
This article exudes a sense of shallowness because it focused on bags. It could have been broaden to society or the relevance of physical appearance but instead it offered tips suggesting you must know the background of the brand and how the bag was made and... oh please, we get it

dammit, I bought an "it" bag and it didn't change my life :cry:

kylie80 said:
dammit, I bought an "it" bag and it didn't change my life :cry:

But did you take it to Asia B) :wink:

I think a book is far more likely to change your life than a bag any day of the week ...

Where I live, I'd really be surprised if anyone here knew what a balenciaga or paddington is. I'm sure some people here know but overall as a whole not so much.

If I see someone with an 'it' bag, I may compliement it and start a conversation just becuase we have a common intrest - hangbags. But, it seems pretty shallow to me to treat someone better becuase of their bag.

Keep the comments coming everyone - I really agree with a lot of what was said here!

Obviously I am a bag-watcher myself, being such a bag-hag. I really don't think that it matters what bag you are carrying, as long as you do it with style..a lot of times in Singapore, at least for me, I realise that it is the crowd who are not carrying designer bags who are more creative and stylish in their dressing. Of course there are exceptions to the rule..but it seems that where I am, most people equate being stylish to carrying designer stuff, which we all know is far from being true.

And as you can see from the article, I don't think things are gonna improve anytime soon if the fashion mags continue running articles like this.

great article but I don't completely agree.. I believe that there are about a million other ways to earn peoples respect.. and a lot of the times it's not what bag you have but to what you decide to *wear* it with.. I believe that other elements such as accessories, shirt, trousers etc are just as important to get the look that will earn you that kind of respect that the writer is talking about. but I don't come from that kind of culture so I don't really know how obsessed they are with brand names over there

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Augustina15
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->