• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

How do you make your skin smooth and flawless? #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
miu_miu, thanks so much, I'm kinda overwhelmed with your kind replies, they definitely make me feel better, so once again, thanks! ^_^

I've always had oily skin growing up, but I think now its mixed, as my nose shines like a beacon (LOL), but my cheeks are quite well balanced... I'll definitely look into some exfoliating, as The_Ida said, and use it wisely. If I'm not sure about overdoing it, I'll just pop back here for advice! :P

I've read about retinoids and antioxidants (sunscreen is a must, so I've got that covered, LOL), as well as vitamin C, so I'll look into the brands you name, and see what suits my skin (and my wallet!) better.

Red wine! Uhm... Maybe I'll start switching from beer to wine every now and then. II'm not an usual drinker, its more the social aspect of it, The act of getting together with my boyfriend (we do not live together), or a few friends, and share some drinks having a nice time. I've considered drinking something non alcoholic, but juice or sodas do not appeal to me (sugar, caffeine, bloating, low nutrients), so in the end a beer really does sound like the healthiest option! :P

And yes, I'm definitely starting to eat better, avoiding proccesed foods, and sticking to greens, lean meat, and fish... I'm getting some omega3 supplements today, and plan to make this way of eating something permanent in my life x)

The exercise is the tough part, because I don't have gyms nearby, or anyone to work out with, so my motivation really fluctuates. I'll keep searching for something that I like to do, something fun that motivates me, and see how it goes...

Last edited by a moderator:
- dark green leafy vegetables (spinach, kale etc)
- orange vegetables (carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin)
- nuts (almonds, brazil nuts)

products:
- vitamin c serum (skinceuticals CE ferulic)
- glycolic acid (MD formulations continuous renewal serum)
- sunscreen (a good 30+ broad-sprectrum)

Surely one teaspoon of honey won't harm anyone, but one shouldn't have much sugar in one's diet at all. It ages the body and therefore the skin tremendously. It doesn't break you out, I never said that. One might as well try to eliminate sugar as much as possible, for example by not drinking tea with sugar/honey, no sugar on cereal etc.

It's a good idea to wean yourself off of the obvious sugars, since it's hidden in so much of our modern processed foods anyway. But all sugars aren't created equal. Our bodies are built to break down a lot of what we eat into sugar (hello carbs, three food groups that make up more than half of a healthy diet). And you need sugar for a healthy body, it's where we get our energy from.

But, err, yeah. Honey is a no go, it's about as bad as sugar. Take a look at a Glycemic Index list, and find a sweetener with the lowest GI. I think your best bet is probably Stevia. But definitely make an effort to wean yourself off of sugar and sweet stuff. There's so much hidden sugar in our modern, processed food that we get way more than our bodies need.

And I just wanted to mention that ever since I cut out meat (I still do fish and poultry), there's been a noticeable difference in my skin and health in general. There's a relationship between meat and sugar, meaning that the more meat we eat, the more sugar our bodies need (something about how we digest meat, etc). So it might help to decrease your meat consumption to lower your sugar intake.

Blah blah, once again I end up writing a novel. -_-

It's a good idea to wean yourself off of the obvious sugars, since it's hidden in so much of our modern processed foods anyway. But all sugars aren't created equal. Our bodies are built to break down a lot of what we eat into sugar (hello carbs, three food groups that make up more than half of a healthy diet). And you need sugar for a healthy body, it's where we get our energy from.
All sugars may not be created equal, but they are digested the same way, so it makes no difference if you're having a glass of orange juice or a coke. Except for the vitamins :D
And I just wanted to mention that ever since I cut out meat (I still do fish and poultry), there's been a noticeable difference in my skin and health in general. There's a relationship between meat and sugar, meaning that the more meat we eat, the more sugar our bodies need (something about how we digest meat, etc). So it might help to decrease your meat consumption to lower your sugar intake.
That sounds really interesting!

But, err, yeah. Honey is a no go, it's about as bad as sugar. Take a look at a Glycemic Index list, and find a sweetener with the lowest GI. I think your best bet is probably Stevia. But definitely make an effort to wean yourself off of sugar and sweet stuff. There's so much hidden sugar in our modern, processed food that we get way more than our bodies need.

Blah blah, once again I end up writing a novel. -_-

Honey is a 58 on the glycemic index and sugar is a 100. Wouldn't that make it better:huh:?

Anyways, you should take everything you read on this thread with a grain of salt. Do what works for you:flower:.

Honey is a 58 on the glycemic index and sugar is a 100. Wouldn't that make it better:huh:?

Anyways, you should take everything you read on this thread with a grain of salt. Do what works for you:flower:.

I think you're thinking about glucose, which has a GI of 100. That's the reference point for the GI system, going from 1-100. Table sugar (sucrose) is generally given an index between 60-70, and honey gets 55-60. That's pretty close. Sure, a GI of 55 is considered low, but you have to consider that honey gets its low GI from fructose (monosaccharide vs. as a disaccharide in table sugar) which the liver likes to turn into fat. :smile:

Rice bran syrup is a great alternative from honey, for vegans. It has a low G.I

Have a good skin care regimine(cleanse,exfoliate,moisturize etc), use sunscreen of at least spf 15, drink lots water, use grapeseed oil(extra virgin olive oil is a good alternative if you can't find it) and don't smoke.

^ yeah, smoking is visibly very horrible for your skin, i would know... your skin gets dehydrated, and you get fine lines - I'm only 18, and this is happening to me...so anyone who's trying to combat wrinkles, you're not going to unless you put down the cigarette!

As for sugar, I believe in moderation. That way I'm not depriving myself and won't be tempted by things as easily.

I'm 22 and I'm already in shape, so I don't have to worry too much.

If I'm on a diet and craving something sweet, I eat lots of fruit. Delicious and good for you.

Also, once you stop smoking you will see the change in your skin almost immediately. I've never smoked myself but I have seen the change in others and looking (and feeling) more healthy has been one of the main reasons for them to not start again.

Including the "right kind" of fat in your diet is also a great way to improve your skin. I started eating eggs, nuts, salmon and avocado on a regular basis lately and my skin has improved so much. I always used to be rather "fat-phobic" so this was a big step for me but one worth taking for sure. Another food that's great for your skin is buttermilk.

I always wash my skin in the morning and at night. It's feels instantly better after I do but I have oily-combination skin.

I break out instantly if I don't wash or otherwise cleanse my face twice a day. :doh: And it has to be a good cleanser that doesn't dry skin out and get the job done (cleans). Like I tried some very gentle foaming gel - it's not nondrying and all, very comfortable, but doesn't take off sunscreen and leaves skin covered in some film. :sick::yuk:

I have sometimes oily, breakout prone skin and I never cleanse in the morning. I don't think it's necessary and I don't want to over cleanse my face. Anyways, my face is never oily or dry in the morning since I started cleansing just once a day, it's just dewy looking. All I use in the morning is a gentle toner (sometimes) and a light moisturiser & sunscreen.

I find, for me, that washing my face both at night and in the am is over cleansing.
If you wash your face right before bed and sleep on a clean pillow I don't see how your skin can get all that dirty again.

My skin always look horrible if I wash my face in the morning, it looks much better when I cleanse at night and sleep on it.

A lot of Omega 3 fatty acids! I eat a lot of salmon and I love using olive oil on mostly everything I eat! I also start off every day with a Green Goddess juice, and end each day with a bowl of taboleh and some strawberries. I always wake up to a healthy supple glow and my eyes always glisten! I do believe that a healthy diet works wonders for your skin. As for my daily routine, I use Shu Uemura cleansing oils and L'or de Vie serum, eye cream, and moisturizer by Dior. 2-3 times a week, I'll use the rose face mask or Sugar polish by Fresh (their products are to die for!) .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->