It-bag Mania

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
It-bag mania has got on my nerves for years, turning me off even thinking of buying a handbag, ...

I can't tell the difference between a counterfeit designer handbag and the real thing. Well, not literally, but in both cases, it seems to me, people pay too much for the privilege of being human billboards for some giant corporation.

Yes, it is illegal to sell fake "designer" goods, chilling to hear that the proceeds may find their way back to al-Qa'eda and other international criminal organisations, and morally wrong to infringe intellectual copyright. The agents of luxury goods companies regularly celebrate catching the culprits by making huge pyres of stockpiled fakes.

Still, at a time when such companies have sunk to advertising their wares with shots of their bags placed between a model's open legs, or absurdly posed beside the faces of Hollywood celebrities, I find it hard to distinguish between the perceived value of the supposedly classy originals and the copies.
Real or fake, it's all designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator of taste - what luxury goods marketeers trumpet as "mass-tige".

Besides, there is a sense that the purveyors of logos must secretly gloat over counterfeiting. Apparently, those who buy fakes also are more likely to trade up to buying the genuine article. In other words, the black market "problem" is only proof that the luxury goods market is actually working.

article from telegraph.co.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the article, soft. Here is Lynn Yaeger's take from the Village Voice--very funny. :flower:

Purse Snatching
What's a girl got to do to get a fake Louis Vuitton around here?
by Lynn Yaeger
July 24th, 2007 2:07 PM

For almost a year, my friend B. walked around with a crumpled piece of paper in her purse—a picture torn from Women's Wear Daily of a white canvas tote, like the ones you buy at the art supply store, with a big pink medallion in its center that said "Louis Vuitton." Vuitton has a habit of launching its bags in magazines long before they're available in stores as a way to pump up desire, though sometimes this backfires—by the time you can actually buy it, you're sick of it. That's what happened with B.'s tote, which Vuitton called the Globus. (Plus, when it finally hit town, it weighed a ton and cost way more than $1,000.) Actually, I'd never even seen anyone with a Globus—and I am someone who looks at handbags—until earlier this year, when I noticed a woman carrying a beat-up, ratty Globus at the 26th Street flea market—a chic young girl, to be sure, but hardly someone who looked like she had $1,500 to spend on a canvas bag. I loved the way her Globus looked, but I forgot all about it until a few weeks ago, when my intrepid friend J.—who never sees a movie that isn't bootlegged—called. "Have you been down to Canal lately?" he asked. "You've got to see how they're selling Vuitton now. The guys have cards, and you pick out what you want."
In theory, I adore copies—their upstart impertinence, the fact that they make bags affordable for everybody. I've never understood why companies get so crazy trying to stop them. If you don't want people to copy your bag, why don't you make something a little harder to rip off than a plastic tote? And isn't the time to worry when no one wants to copy your products? In any case, since there appear to be plenty of suckers willing to buy the real thing, maybe these companies should just shut up and take the money.
But the sad truth is, I am one of those suckers. I own plenty of overpriced originals—ridiculously inflated Prada nylon sacks, limp Fendis printed with silly double Fs. When I try to explain to a friend why I buy these things—"It's like buying into a dream! It's a fantasy item!"—she gives me a withering look and says, "It's a status symbol."
Well, fair enough, but it's the whole experience you're paying for—the fawning salespeople, the fancy presentation (at Prada, your bag comes in a shopping bag tied up with ribbons like a birthday present).
All around lower Broadway, there are extraordinary replica purses in locked showcases, including Goyard totes dangling from the rafters. (So recent and convincing are the Goyard fakes that a Deep Throat at Barneys admitted the store took two bags back before they realized the copies even existed.)
Still, there's nary a Globus—in fact, no Vuitton at all, doubtless because among designer brands, Louis Vuitton is by far the most litigious, going after the sellers on Canal with the fury of a holy jihad.

Sure enough, right where J. said, there's a guy outside the No. 6 train subway stop, very discreetly brandishing a laminated card, maybe 6 x 8, with teeny-tiny pictures of Vuittons on one side and Coaches on the other, but no Globus. When I screw up my courage and ask him if he has it—in a low voice, like I'm buying heroin—he nods and calls to a woman with the broad grin and steely eyes of a true industrialist.
"You alone?" she asks. "I have that bag—$100. Come with me." We cross Lafayette Street, where Steely Eyes hands me off to another woman, who is sitting on a folding chair in the broiling sun outside a storefront. This new person explains to yet another guy lurking on the sidewalk what I'm looking for. He does a rough drawing of the Globus on a scrap of paper and I nod. Magically, without my asking, the price is lowered to $75, but he says he has no pink trim, only brown. "Well, I'd like to see it," I say weakly, as if I'm in the Yves Saint-Laurent boutique on Madison Avenue.
So off he goes, somewhere deep in the bowels of the earth under Chinatown, and I am left in the sun to watch the passing show: a family of three, all in sour moods, that Steely Eyes has just delivered—they're looking for a Vuitton that they've picked off a card, but they don't want to spend $40 for it.
The next arrival is by far the more fascinating. She's in search of sunglasses—Dior, or maybe Chanel—and she's sporting a diamond monogram pendant that I am almost positive is by Harry Winston and costs in the vicinity of $12,000. (If it's fake, I've never seen anything like it.) Her very presence throws into chaos my entire belief system: I have always determined whether a bag is real or fake not by the quality of the bag itself (almost impossible), but by sizing up—and costing out—whatever else the person carrying it is wearing. But if Ms. Moneybags is mixing fake shades with Harry Winston, maybe everyone I see—on the subway, in the ladies' room at Bergdorf Goodman, in the audience at Xanadu—is carrying a fake. Everyone but me.
Finally, after what seems like the better part of an hour, my guy is back. He's bearing not a beribboned package but a garbage bag, and in it is my Globus. Trouble is, we can't take it out of the bag: I'm allowed to peek in, which I do, but when I say I don't care for the brown medallion after all, the woman in charge goes ballistic. "Oh my God! My brother got brown!" "I told you brown!" the brother chimes in, furious.
Now, I don't just feel like a criminal, but also an ingrate, a user, a cold, unfeeling person who took up nearly an hour of these hard-working people's time. I walk swiftly—OK, I run—across the street, where I immediately see a couple of other gentlemen lurking with cards. I am tempted to try again—maybe someone else has pink?—but am suddenly seized with the thought that maybe they all work for Steely.
Terrified of another confrontation and feeling unaccountably guilty over the whole ordeal, I scamper up Greene Street, where I find myself inside the gleaming, air-conditioned, near-empty Vuitton store, a far cry from Canal's raffish encampments. And there I discover this summer's version of the Globus. It's called the PM Street, for some unfathomable reason ( pas mal? pauvre moi?), and made of leather cunningly woven to resemble those plaid plastic shopping totes for sale in third-world markets and usually carried only by people of extremely limited means. Of course, the original version—of which, ironically, this is clearly a copy—lacks the round Vuitton logo, but then again it is also available for substantially less than $1,800.
Sick and campy and in extremely bad taste this item may be, but I am ashamed to say I kind of like it. Oh, well, what's the hurry? Steely and company will be stuffing its likeness into a trash bag any day now.

It-bag mania had its heyday in '05, but for the past 2 years, there's really been no it-bag to speak of.
A few popular styles maybe, but none that ever reached the "it-craze" like the paddington.
Those who buy bags based on the fact that they are endorsed by the latest celebrities are a sad bunch - they are never going to keep up, the celebs most probably get those bags for free.
Buying something just for prestige is not the way to go, especially since most designer purses cost so much - it's best to be clear on what suits you, if you'll love it 5, 10 years down the road before putting down the cash for it.
I don't understand why when the habit of buying expensive purses are touched upon in articles, it's most often with a touch of sheepiness, as if buying one is a really bad thing.
There's nothing wrong with that if you are buying within your means and somehow the articles like the ones from Village Voice, just really annoys me.

Now for my morning coffee.......

^
I agree.
As long as your not buying something that you can't afford,
people should not be ashamed of it.

It's one thing if you're just buying it as a "status symbol".
ie. buying a bag just to show off that it's expensive etc. That's another story.

But if you like it, and if you can afford it, why is it wrong to buy it?

nice articles! another point of buying the real deal and not the fake, that these articles failed to mention, were the quality. while quality has gone down a bit in several companies, still, for the mostpart, the quality of a luxury item will withstand the years while the fake will start popping it's stitches and leaking it's color dye sooner than later...........

I have tried to stop buying any bags that could be considered It-Bags. After buying my beloved Balenciaga in 2002, I hated the fact that every other girl (and some guys) that I saw was holding the same bag and that so many of them were copies. I also started seeing a pattern- people would go nuts for a bag, including people on this board, and then the craze would die and everyone would sell or give away that bag. Now, I just go for what I think are classics or bags that aren't that popular that I love. I am focusing on buying bags that stand the test of time- bags that I loved a few years ago and never bought that I still love today.

even when i THINK something will be a classic there is still the indelible novelty/obsolescence factor in fashion. i bought a mj bag the first season they came out-- the buckles-- thinking, aha! here is perfect belle de jour 60s retro bag. but we all know what the trend tsunami is like, same with the balenciaga moto, the ysl mombasa, etc. All the bags i coveted when they came out, spent tons of money on, and now never wear.

I do intend on keeping my grey paddington hobo in circulation, but i took the padlock off immediately (too heavy) and it works well across the body and as a shoulder bag, so great for work/papers. I think practical bags are where it's at-- it if you can fit all your sh*t, is comfortable (sorry, the mj just was not!) and it doesn't look too "lawyer lady" (like a stupid rafe bag i spent 500 on), you'll probably wear it for years.

I think after the IT-bag craze and that it seemed like "everyone" could afford one.. take Chanel's that now are everywhere.

It just does not become exclusive anymore, and when you spend that much money on a bag you want to have something that not everyone and their mother has. :P

I think through the IT-craze that was a couple of years ago, individuality has risen and people think more over spending their money, which is a good thing. :smile:

sometimes i am drawn to it bags, sometimes i am not....but i think for the most part i know what i like. my MJ stam was the first official 'it' bag i purchased and i was obsessed before it blew up on the celeb scene and way before they came out with the slew of fakes....i still love that darn bag! and i dont care if i see a bunch of gals with a fake one...i know mine is the real deal, and i'll love it after those girls with the fakes donate them to the thrift store because the trend has passed, just as i loved it before it was on the arms of celebs everywhere.

I have been sucked in by a few other 'it' bags but usually the practicality facor comes in and they either stay or go because of it.

Interesting reads! I agree that It bags haven't been as prevalent the last few years, or maybe there's just more of them :wink:

I'm also of the "buy what you love" mindset... I like the post above that said to look for things that you will love years from now, not just *today*.

I cant help but buy the iT BAGS:blink:....,Not because I want to follow the IT bag Zombies:ninja:....Sorry,It's because usually if there's a new collection comes out,the bag that I like,suddenly becomes an IT bag:blush:
I have good eyes for bags!!!:innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:
These articles speaks of the reality for the general masses. The VV article had one of the most down-to-earth viewpoints I've read in a while; self-effacing and funny. The whole emotional rollercoaster was one I could relate to, when any bag a person could ever desire is within reach and some of the actions we are willing to undertake on its behalf. You can apply this desire to either genuine, fake, inspired bags and other material items.

The UK Telegraph article was logically astute, hitting both sides of the fence. I have an inspired bag. It gives me a tremendous amount of joy because I love the design/feel, and the very personal pleasure of having it NOW, as opposed to when I can finally afford to purchase the genuine article closer to retirement age 20 years from now -- and as the article pointed out, my gosh yes, I plan to trade up to the genuine article (I love my 401k). I guess I am "hooked" by these luxury marketeers after all; they'll be waiting for me with open arms when the time arrives!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Riska21
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->