Japanese Designers

surver

Reaction score
can we start a thread discussing the current wave of Japanese Designers that are majorly hitting the U.S. and Europe? they range from the very conceptual to the very street... The Viride-Anne, Attachment, Mastermind Japan, Undercover, Neighborhood, Visvim, ... to of course, A Bathing Ape... etc etc etc... representing a very wide range of younger mentality and individuality beyond the lineage of the classic old 'masters' Rei, Yohji and Issey...

Shall I fall down on my knees and beg that you do so, please? I don't think you need permission, just encouragement. :flower:

are you being sarcastic or for real? actually, where should we start?

baguette said:
A bathing Ape is pretty scary
Worst of the worst

agree. but it's absolutely AMAZING how one [in this case, the one is NIGO] can copy, replicate, emulate so many other-people's-designs and build such a lucrative empire from it without having his pants sued off... even more amazing is that he is able to get those originals to come back to him to collaborate! adidas is case in point.

what a great business man. but what an evil 'growth' for fashion.

Oh no! I'm being totally sincere! Truly. :flower: There is such a vast wealth of design far beyond the European and US shores that aren't represented in this treasured forum. Please post away! That is what I do! And I have so much to learn.... apparently. :blink:

Undercover is absolutely awe-inspiring. When I am in the presence of his clothes, touching and looking at them....there is seriously no one else like him right now.

I will always be devoted to Rei and Junya, and I think Jun is following their footsteps in the most honorable and authentic way: It's about pursuing integrity and individuality and nothing less....god, I might cry. J/K :lol:

^^ All is superficial? I refuse to believe that. I love color and form and design and ingenuity and movement. I see these qualities in the decorative/fashion arts. Yes, there is a commercial machine that bears its own burden and mark, and people can follow that if they wish. But the spirit of collaberation is interesting, and it's often a great deal of fun. There is a frivolity about fashion, a sense of play and freedom. I think we need that. Look at the fabrics that come out of each country - they are an attestation of the deep meaning of culture.

I do find some nice pieces from Undercover & Number Nine
That's all though

SomethingElse said:
^^ All is superficial? I refuse to believe that. I love color and form and design and ingenuity and movement. I see these qualities in the decorative/fashion arts. Yes, there is a commercial machine that bears its own burden and mark, and people can follow that if they wish. But the spirit of collaberation is interesting, and it's often a great deal of fun. There is a frivolity about fashion, a sense of play and freedom. I think we need that. Look at the fabrics that come out of each country - they are an attestation of the deep meaning of culture.

Superficial or profound is not as simple as say black or white.
One man's trash can be the other man's treasure.

^^ I agree. I'm well aware that one's floor is another's ceiling. It is entirely subjective. I'm of the school that if you can't decide between this and that, take both!

Last edited by a moderator:
I think your idea's great, but the thread might get out of hand, like designers are so many and so different. Just think of what you would get if you made a thread for also 'New York designers' or 'English designers.' It would be a bit too much I think... since you want to cover all street fashion, high fashion and from how it sounds like, 'mainstream' fashion...
Plus I guess there are also a bunch of subcultures in Japan now like gothic lolita that are making its way to North America and Europe, esp Scandinavia...and all the designers that cater to these particular styles.

Last edited by a moderator:
gius said:
I think your idea's great, but the thread might get out of hand, like designers are so many and so different. Just think of what you would get if you made a thread for also 'New York designers' or 'English designers.' It would be a bit too much I think... since you want to cover all street fashion, high fashion and from how it sounds like, 'mainstream' fashion...
Plus I guess there are also a bunch of subcultures in Japan now like gothic lolita that are making its way to North America and Europe, esp Scandinavia...and all the designers that cater to these particular styles.

agree. we should split the thread into subcategories as soon as each take momentum.

actually i was just thinking of those brands that are beginning to show in europe over the past couple of years to start with... but on the other end of the spectrum i know there're the Bapes and Neighborhoods that are creeping through the streetwear scene...

Thanks a million for this wonderful list, Surver. A second dose of karma for your contribution of so many links to such interesting works! :flower:

I really like the long coats and cutaways for men from The Viridi-Anne. I really like the various lapel shapes and textures in the fabrics. The little details in leather are eye-catching. Although I adore black and white photography, it's curious that their site has no color.... beautiful clothes, both men's and women's.

okayasu041108f.jpg

mash-jp.net

surver said:
agree. but it's absolutely AMAZING how one [in this case, the one is NIGO] can copy, replicate, emulate so many other-people's-designs and build such a lucrative empire from it without having his pants sued off... even more amazing is that he is able to get those originals to come back to him to collaborate! adidas is case in point.

what a great business man. but what an evil 'growth' for fashion.

iono bathing ape did steal the sneaker designs, but they warhol'd the sneaker culture with new colors and materials, so they really added onto it if anything.

and as far as clothing goes. nobody was designing sweatshirts like they were, loll thats all i realyl have by them sweatshirts, sneakers + some jeans. everything else is just overpriced hype gear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->