John Galliano - Designer, Creative Director of Maison Margiela

and some of you tried telling me that john doesn't want to be in the limelight anymore! the guy literally cannot leave the stage. now i 100% believe him and anna are lobbying for a return to LVMH in some form.
this i agree its typical of Anna to orchestrate this last push to help her friend get back on a bigger stage i would not be surprised

It all sounds more like Anna counting her days and doing everything that she thinks her dear friend deserves.
Im not excited at all about such retrospective - selection will be questionable as in that awful book or on past Dior exhibitions
I would love a retrospective on his work tbh even if I think that his work on top of his persona are both very controversial.

An Galliano exhibition would raise questions on Cultural appropriation on top of « is it necessary to put a spotlight on a designer who made antisemitic remarks » and I don’t think the documentary will help in terms of his public image.

The Dior book is one thing but what is interesting for an exhibition is the POV of a curator. Wintour is like an ambassador in this situation because beyond Dior, the archives of John Galliano are also at stakes.

I think it’s always a tricky question when it comes to controversial designers.
The various Chanel exhibitions raises that question. Coco was antisemitic. She was mingling with people from the Far right side of the political milieu before the German military. That’s one thing on her personal story. It becomes tricky when she uses that position to harm people and in that instance, the Weirthemers who are still owners of the brand.

In a way, while that story is more informative for us, it’s both traumatic and tricky for them because they are also benefitting from a good image for Chanel.

I think the documentary about Galliano kind address the questions nobody wants to be asked on the RC of the Met Gala.

But at the same time, do people feel guilty loving his work? I know I don’t.
I don’t know him personally and I don’t have an issue stating the obvious: He said terrible things and is probably questionable on many ways and He is a Great designer!

…because beyond Dior, the archives of John Galliano are also at stakes.
Could you expand on this piece?

If auction and vintage sales are any indication, I have no fear for the Galliano archives. His clothes have proven to outperform almost every single brand or creator with buyers. If LVMH ever needed cash (and they don’t/won’t), they’d have a blank check to donate their entire John Galliano archive to the Met or V&A… but they’d never do that because I’ve heard that all LVMH creative directors can see the JG archives upon request for inspiration. So it’s clearly providing a ton of internal value to their organization.

Tea: John is allegedly sitting at the Bergdorf Goodman table at tonight’s Met Gala.

It’s fitting and reminds me of their early support for him when they reproduced his FW94 collection in the apartment above the store.

There goes my hopes of Phoebe attending with BG…

Also Anna is wearing Loewe, not Chanel for once.

Could you expand on this piece?

If auction and vintage sales are any indication, I have no fear for the Galliano archives. His clothes have proven to outperform almost every single brand or creator with buyers. If LVMH ever needed cash (and they don’t/won’t), they’d have a blank check to donate their entire John Galliano archive to the Met or V&A… but they’d never do that because I’ve heard that all LVMH creative directors can see the JG archives upon request for inspiration. So it’s clearly providing a ton of internal value to their organization.
Anna lobbying for John with LVMH might granted access to the Dior archives but also to the Galliano’s archives or whatever they might be today, considering that they own his house and therefore his work.
Considering that a lot of John Galliano’s runway stuff was pure showpieces, it’s an interesting treasure for any curator.

didnt i say this documentary was an indicator that John is forgiven ? Like I know how to move and operate in places where things are unsaid…

this sudden explosion in people wearing his older work is so fishy... i can't help but suspect that it must be for a specific reason
It's really because of the nosebleedingly high prices and the evaporation of JG pieces on the secondary markets. When vintage JG rtw is listed, they're often sold before VC even sends the "immediate" push notification.

It's also just a huge power move to wear some of the most expensive (and elusive) ready to wear and, less often, haute couture, like Jennifer Lawrence at the Oscars after party.

Zendaya, for example, buys all of her vintage in collaboration with and advisory of Madame Roach. There's no doubt that she's strategically buying these pieces outright, wearing them notably, and then reaping the benefits of immediate appreciation in value because it's now become a Zendaya fashion "moment."

Rihanna's pieces from One of a Kind Archive are borrowed –I believe– because they're never "sold out" on 1stDibs and are instead placed "on hold." The seller receives the immediate appreciation in value because of the Rihanna credit and sells it for way more than originally listed. The John Galliano Fall 1994 dress that she wore 2 days ago had 1-2 twins on the secondary markets, and one of those sellers already raised the price by 50% and included the Rihanna photos.

Oh you know Chanel has gotten B@D if even Anna is dropping them^
Not not true, haha.

While it's largely out of respect for Loewe, who is the primary brand sponsor of the Gala, the reason why I'm more surprised that she isn't wearing one of her archival pieces from Karl's Chanel Haute Couture is that doing so would be even more on-theme for the exhibit.

I'm dying to watch that documentary ! It's not available on Prime in France ... Ugh ! Can you guys imagine if John came back to Givenchy or something ? I like Margiela but it's nothing compared to the unbridled romanticism he's capable of !
It's available to watch free on Mubi via 1granary's channel for another 2 weeks or so : WELCOME TO MUBI hopefully this works for you!

John Galliano and Kim Kardashian attend The 2024 Met Gala Celebrating "Sleeping Beauties: Reawakening Fashion" at The Metropolitan Museum of Art on May 06, 2024 in New York City

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->