Life of Pi by Yann Martel

Reaction score
I finished reading the book and I thought it was great. I am currently working on a project for school and would appreciate anyone's opinions on the book...what you thought of the ending, etc.

I bought the book months ago based off of someones opinion of the book. They said it was great, etc etc, and I trusted that persone enough to believe them. I bought the book, read up to page 40 and couldnt be bothered with the rest of it to finish, so sorry I cant help you out here...

yourbestfriend said:
I bought the book months ago based off of someones opinion of the book. They said it was great, etc etc, and I trusted that persone enough to believe them. I bought the book, read up to page 40 and couldnt be bothered with the rest of it to finish, so sorry I cant help you out here...

I think you should try to keep reading...it gets much more interesting in part 2

it's one of my favorite books. m. night shyamalan is making a movie version of it so we'll see how that turns out - i haven't really been impressed with his work since the sixth sense.

^Wow, a movie adaption? Seems like any bestselling book nowadays gets made into a movie.

Anyways, I quite liked the story. The survival aspects were really interesting, albeit being a tad disturbing at times (but you gotta do what you gotta do to surive). The ending was kind of strange though; I didn't understand why Pi made up all that stuff, since his actual tale was already unbelievable enough. Anyways, hope that helps a little bit.

yourbestfriend said:

same thing happened to me...

wonderful book.....
really beautiful concepts....

thats the first ive heard of a film adaptation....
i'll be interested to see what they do with it....
i never find the movies as wonderful as the books.....
but i'm curious......

i liked the book, and then we over-over-over analyzed it in english. we reeeeallly over analzyed it. it's a different book now to me.

I read it a year and a half ago, and I absolutely loved it. It's amazing. I have Martel's Self also but I've been procrastinating to finish it. I will, though!

You should keep on reading ybf, trust me. It's like Lord of the Rings, the first 200 pages suck. Proportionally of course (otherwise you won't touch the book again :ninja: )

Alfonso Cuarón was supposed to direct it also. Pitty. :( But Jeunett should be good also.

i thought the book was really good. agreed, the 1st part was kind of boring but it got so much better, and it's a really easy read, so you could probably finish it in like a week.

Well, looks like my opinion is a bit different ... I really liked the opening of the book, but the ending made me absolutely furious. I couldn't believe the pile of ^%&^%*&% won the Booker Prize.

Everyone at my school had to read this over the summer...students, the jaintors, the headmaster, everyone. We had a big school discussion of it at the beginning of the year. Unlike everyone else I talked to, I really liked the beginning when he was just rambling on about all the animals in the zoo and the story of the priest, rabbi and emam, etc. The middle was good, too, but sometimes I got bored with reading all the descriptions because I really like reading dialogue. In the end, the book brings up an interesting question: what to believe? The more factual or the more fanciful of stories? (Was Pi really in the boat with all the animals or was he there with the cook, the sailor and his mom?) The story that he was with people in the book seems the most realistic, although gruesome, and that it was the people interrogating Pi seem to believe... even though Pi vehemently insists otherwise. You never know really know what is actually true... it's up to you to decide. The question of whether to believe "fact" over "fiction" can be directly applied to religion ("why do people believe in god even though there is no proof"? That's basically what we talked about in school :flower:

Personally, I thought Pi was in the boat with the sailor, cook and his mom because I am a person who bases decision on logic. But I do appreciate the message of the book.

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked the beginning of the story but as it approached the middle it just bored me to no end!
I was told I could skip the middle because nothing really happened, so I did but I don't really remember how it ended :rolleyes:

cutxpaste, the janitors read it too?:lol:

Personally, I don't believe the "factual" story with the sailor, cook, and his mom at all! Just for fun, here's what I wrote about that in my essay for school:

Pi figures that the investigators do not want to hear his story because it challenges their idea of reality and he offers them another, more plausible story about his journey.
Pi’s second story is “the dry, yeastless factuality” that is simple and lacks imagination but is more believable. I think the better story is the one that sparks your imagination and makes “you see higher or further or differently.”
:P That's my opinion

I've tried and tried, and really tried to read it...but like many others here, I found it hard to get past the first 50 pages :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->