The tFS Book Club (please see rules/guidelines in post #1)

indepwe

Reaction score
Rules for TFS Book Club

rule #1 - do not talk about book club........

just kidding, here are the rules/guidelines for this thread -

Book choices -

At the end of each reading/discussion cycle members will be invited to suggest books for the next cycle round. The first 10 suggestions will be collated and put into poll form for members to choose which is their favourite option. If no clear decision can be made, an online randomised choice website (such as random.org) will be utilised to select the book option for the next cycle.

Reading and discussing the book -

Once a book has been decided on, the deadline will be set for each reading/discussion cycle depending on the length and difficulty of the book choice. As a loose guide for this process - books that are roughly between 0 - 200 pages will have a 2 week purchase/reading/discussion deadline, books that are 200-600 pages will have a 4 week deadline, books that are any longer than 600 pages will be taken on a case by case basis.

Once the new title has been announced, members are free to purchase/borrow the book as soon as is possible for them and start reading. Discussions of the book can occur prior to the final deadline date. Note: Posts that include discussion of the book before the final deadline must contain chapter numbers and be in white writing so to not spoil it for those who have not completed their reading to that chapter yet.

eg:

Chapter 1 - 6

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Once the final deadline is reached, open discussion will be encouraged in the thread and it is no longer necessary to post your comments in white. The discussion will be open for 2-3 days so that people have time to visit tfs and leave their thoughts on the book. After that time period (or earlier, if no discussion is occurring) members will be encouraged to nominate books for the next cycle, as in the first section of the guidelines.

tfs Book Club Reading List

04/08/10 The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera (deadline for reading & open discussion is 25th of August)

- - - - -

Well I have had a new idea to create a book club for The Fashion Spot. It seems like everyone loves to read and I love to read so I though we would ban together and pick a book every week or month or so and then share on the thread what we thought. Hopefully its not just me that thinks its a good idea but hey even if 2 or 200 people join it will still be a bit of fun so to become a member just give a post here on the thread and what book you think we should start with.
:flower: Emma

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for starting this thread:flower:

hm, should we first agree on a genre, maybe? like a classic or typical summer read, young adult or whatever? there are too many books on my to-read list for me to pick just one:lol:

btw if you don't know about this site yet, http://www.goodreads.com/ is a great site, you can register for free and rate and review books that you read. i always lost my notes with books that i wanted to read and here i can just put them in my "to-red" folder and i'll never lose them again, perfect for me:lol:

I am in!
From what book shall we start?
Thanks from that website Alvedansen
:heart:

Stanners should choose the first book or maybe we can all come up to some sort of a consensus... though i'm up for any book y'all might agree on.

I like this idea too. ^_^ It'll get me into reading. Well, I might pitch the book The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera. I bought it because I read the first few chapters of it and fell in love, but I haven't gotten around to picking it up again. :doh:

Just a suggestion! :flower:

Lovely thread! :smile: do you think we should start with the classics or with more modern books?

I'm in too if I can get a copy of it. Love this thread, totally subscribing to it. Thanks for starting it stannerslove :heart:

im in for this one too since i'm quite used to reading books online :lol: but i do hope that
whatever book's been decided on is available for download at 4shared.com or some other
place to make it accessible to everyone :flower:

Maybe urls can be provided for where books can be read online....

I found it here in English:
4shared.com/document/m_SkfFRV/The_Unbearable_Lightness_of_Be.htm

When's the deadline then?

not sure, if we've already agreed on the book, but i'd like to read it as well.
little description for people who don't know what it's about

9717p.jpg

goodreads

A young woman in love with a man torn between his love for her and his incorrigible womanizing; one of his mistresses and her humbly faithful lover -- these are the two couples whose story is told in this masterful novel. In a world in which lives are shaped by irrevocable choices and by fortuitous events, a world in which everything occurs but once, existence seems to lose its substance, its weight. Hence, we feel "the unbearable lightness of being" not only as the consequence of our pristine actions but also in the public sphere, and the two inevitably intertwine.
and my suggestions
1751337.jpg

goodreads

Teach Me invites readers inside an experience that fascinates everyone an affair between a teacher and student and gives an up-close-and-personal answer to the question: How does this happen?
99561.jpg

goodreads

Before. Miles "Pudge" Halter is done with his safe life at home. His whole life has been one big non-event, and his obsession with famous last words has only made him crave "the Great Perhaps" even more (Francois Rabelais, poet). He heads off to the sometimes crazy and anything-but-boring world of Culver Creek Boarding School, and his life becomes the opposite of safe. Because down the hall is Alaska Young. The gorgeous, clever, funny, sexy, self-destructive, screwed up, and utterly fascinating Alaska Young. She is an event unto herself. She pulls Pudge into her world, launches him into the Great Perhaps, and steals his heart. Then . . . After. Nothing is ever the same.
(i already read this book, but liked it a lot and would love to read it again)

I am in. Should we start with that unbearable lightnings of being?
I think we should have some kind of a theme. Like firts classics and then modern crime or whatever?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->