Book Recommendations

Caramel

Reaction score
I'm going on vacation in a few days, but I need to do some book-shopping first. So I was hoping some of you might have some recommendations?

Apart from crime and science fiction I'll read just about anything, love biographies, historical and political reading, but I also enjoy the occasional lighter read, like the shopoholic books, Bridget Jones etc.

Favourite author is Charles Bukowski.

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully :wink:

'Light' can mean different things to different people, so I'll risk recommending The Birth of Venus.

In a quick and semi-accurate summarization, it is Da Vinci Code meets Girl With A Pearl Earring. Basically, art and a thriller.

The Second Assistant
Bergdorf Blondes
In The Skin of a Lion
Geek Love
Searching for Michael Jackon's Nose
She's Come Undone

I'm currently reading Dave Eggers compilation, "The Best American Nonrequired Reading."

I has a bunch of essays/articles and whatnot from various authors all from the year of 2001, I believe. A bunch of different interesting stories taken from a variety of resources.

I like it a lot. It's of average size, and each story/essay/article varies in length. Sometimes I hate large books that focus on one story. This keeps me interested and entertained!

Originally posted by Caramel@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am
I'm going on vacation in a few days, but I need to do some book-shopping first. So I was hoping some of you might have some recommendations?

Apart from crime and science fiction I'll read just about anything, love biographies, historical and political reading, but I also enjoy the occasional lighter read, like the shopoholic books, Bridget Jones etc.

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully :wink:
Hollywood or Post Office by Bukowski!!!

BTW, I don't know if it will be released in Denmark (you are from Denmark, right?), but I just saw a documentary on Bukowski, "Born into this", it was excellent!!!

Originally posted by faust+Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Caramel@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am

BTW, I don't know if it will be released in Denmark (you are from Denmark, right?), but I just saw a documentary on Bukowski, "Born into this", it was excellent!!![/b][/quote]
Ahh, Hollywood is my favourite Bukowski book! :woot: One of the few books I've read that really has me laughing out loud! Post Office is good too, although not among my favourites.

And yeah, I read about the documentary in the papers a while ago, so I expect it to be released here too, really looking forward to that! (I'm in Norway btw :wink: ).

I did get a couple of books today, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and The Virgin Suicides :wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll definitely take a list with me :flower:

Originally posted by Caramel+Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:02 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Caramel @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:02 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by faust@Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Caramel
@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully  :wink:

BTW, I don't know if it will be released in Denmark (you are from Denmark, right?), but I just saw a documentary on Bukowski, "Born into this", it was excellent!!!
Ahh, Hollywood is my favourite Bukowski book! :woot: One of the few books I've read that really has me laughing out loud! Post Office is good too, although not among my favourites.

And yeah, I read about the documentary in the papers a while ago, so I expect it to be released here too, really looking forward to that! (I'm in Norway btw :wink: ).

I did get a couple of books today, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and The Virgin Suicides :wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll definitely take a list with me :flower: [/b][/quote]
Norway, oops, my bad!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is an incredible, powerful book (have you noticed my signature, by the way :wink: ?). Let me know what you think about it. What language will you be reading that in? Did you know that Robert Pirsig moved to Sweden when he got famous?

P.S. If you like Bukowski, I defintitely recommend Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". That book is deep but at the same time you will laugh your a$$ off.

Originally posted by faust+Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:29 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (faust @ Jun 28th, 2004 - 11:29 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Caramel@Jun 28th, 2004 - 4:02 pm
Originally posted by faust@Jun 28th, 2004 - 6:08 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-Caramel
@Jun 27th, 2004 - 4:00 am

I'm looking for something that is not too heavy, since I've spent the last year reading countless old classics. But still something that is worthwhile reading. I can't remember the last time I actually had the time to read something just for fun so I'll have to choose carefully  :wink:

Thanks for all the suggestions though, I'll definitely take a list with me :flower:
Norway, oops, my bad!

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance is an incredible, powerful book (have you noticed my signature, by the way :wink: ?). Let me know what you think about it. What language will you be reading that in? Did you know that Robert Pirsig moved to Sweden when he got famous?

P.S. If you like Bukowski, I defintitely recommend Hunter Thompson's "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas". That book is deep but at the same time you will laugh your a$$ off.[/b][/quote]
That's so weird, I was actually holding Fear and Loathing in my hand, but then I picked Zen instead :shock: It will definitely be next on my list :wink:

Oh, and I'll be reading it in English.

I just finished " How They Met" by Joey Green. It's about how famous people down through history met each other and a few odds and ends about them. For example: Stanley and Livingston, Napoleon and Josephine, Bill Gates and Paul Allen etc. etc etc. It's a nice read a little, put down, come back read a little more kind of book.

I would recommend anything by Jeffrey Archer, he is a fantastic storyteller, his books are great reads!

For a first, you may want to try his short story collections "A Quiver Full of Arrows" and "Twelve Red Herrings" :woot:

hmm... maybe you'd like something by Marian Keyes

I loved Last Chance Saloon and Sushi for Beginners.
both excellent travel books.

"Desert Rose" by Waris Daris.
it´s the true story of a somali girl who was sexually mutilated at age 4. this is a common practice in somalia and girls who are not circumcised can´t get married and are considered dirty. this circumcision consists in removing the clitoris and inner lavia.
After she was circumcised she escaped and when to london. to make a long story short. she was discovered by a model agency and is now a supermodel and is fighting to make female mutilation illegal.

very interesting story.

the member of the wedding by carson mccullers. its a short read and such an adorable book

humor said:
very interesting story.

yes, i agree! its also easy to read and a def. page turner! great book for traveling!

humor said:
it´s the true story of a somali girl who was sexually mutilated at age 4. this is a common practice in somalia and girls who are not circumcised can´t get married and are considered dirty. this circumcision consists in removing the clitoris and inner lavia.
After she was circumcised she escaped and when to london. to make a long story short. she was discovered by a model agency and is now a supermodel and is fighting to make female mutilation illegal.

very interesting story.

This is on my list of "to get" books but I've not got around to doing it! Another such book is Zen .... this thread is reminding of all the things I want to do but have not done.:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkim991905
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->