London shopping

Good luck gettin it sorted you never know you might sort something plus flight on christmas day tend to be cheaper as well also think there might be one or two public transport options youll have to look around i live in liverpool and theres non what so ever on 25th but dont know bout london... Sorry back on topic :smile:
Posted via Mobile Device

^Thanks :flower: I guess I'll just e-mail Heathrow Connect to ask if their services operate on Christmas Day.

I'm going to London for the Boxing Day Sales this year. My plan was to fly to London on Christmas Day so we could be there when the stores open on the 26th :brows:
I've read some old website entries from a few years back where it said there was no public transport on the 25th at all, though? Is it still like that? I'd hate to pay for a taxi from Heathrow to the city.

Normally London black cabs charge a small extra fee like 5GBP on Chrstmas day, but minicabs will charge whatever they can get which is usually loads as the black cabs will likely be on holiday too :rolleyes:

Tubes & most overland transport are usually shut BUT Heathrow Express normally runs a bus to Paddington which is a better place to start your trip to the hotel from. I don't fancy your chances of picking up a cab from the taxi rank there though :innocent:. You might also like to fly into City airport which is much better for access than Heathrow.

Might be easier to arrive in London on 27th or later when the underground's back in action.

As snowqueen says, some sales may be long gone by the 26th...some don't start until 28th...

Or just go now, because as the economy keeps going down, the number of sales keeps going up :blink:

^LOL, true. Plus I'm super lucky with the Swiss Franc being so strong atm, the exchange rates are heavenly for a crazy shopaholic like me :lol:

I'll actually have a hotel that is right at Paddington station anyway so that would be just fine if I can get there from Heathrow.

I usually fly to LCY but the cheapest flight to there on Christmas Day is £1.500 compared to £50 to Heathrow :shock:

Thank you for your reply ^_^ Didn't think it would be so confusing. I know travel agencies offer special London Boxing Day Sales trips so I didn't expect it to be so difficult to get around in London during festive season. And it looks like there isn't much sightseeing or anything else one could do on Dec 25th either :blink:

i'll be visiting London soon could you recommend me any good shops that are not so mainstream ? like a bit underground with independent designers etc?
*hope you understand what i mean*
Thank you in advance !

Camden Town markets are good for vintage and independent designers shopping. Also Carnaby Street near Regent Street. And then Old Spitafields Market and Brick Lane Market near Liverpool Street tube stations are great, mainly for accessories though.

^LOL, true. Plus I'm super lucky with the Swiss Franc being so strong atm, the exchange rates are heavenly for a crazy shopaholic like me :lol:

I'll actually have a hotel that is right at Paddington station anyway so that would be just fine if I can get there from Heathrow.

I usually fly to LCY but the cheapest flight to there on Christmas Day is £1.500 compared to £50 to Heathrow :shock:

Thank you for your reply ^_^ Didn't think it would be so confusing. I know travel agencies offer special London Boxing Day Sales trips so I didn't expect it to be so difficult to get around in London during festive season. And it looks like there isn't much sightseeing or anything else one could do on Dec 25th either :blink:

Yep - im from just outside london and i wanted to do something fun with the fam in london on xmas day last year - but there is NOTHING. I mean you can walk along the thames but u dont want to do that for 8 hours. :lol: 99% of restaurants are closed....no real attractions are open. Most shops are shut. Xmas day is actually not a great day to be in london -- ive since discovered...

i'll be visiting London soon could you recommend me any good shops that are not so mainstream ? like a bit underground with independent designers etc?
*hope you understand what i mean*
Thank you in advance !

there are lots near spitalfield's market and around the brick lane area

Yep - im from just outside london and i wanted to do something fun with the fam in london on xmas day last year - but there is NOTHING. I mean you can walk along the thames but u dont want to do that for 8 hours. :lol: 99% of restaurants are closed....no real attractions are open. Most shops are shut. Xmas day is actually not a great day to be in london -- ive since discovered...
Haha, that sucks. Especially if it's really cold you don't want to be oustide all day anway :doh: I actually found out that this year everything is closed on the 26th as well?! I'm planning my trip for Dec 27th-30th now, I think

aww you guys you can go skating in somerset house or go to the winter wonderland in hyde park? there is honestly stuff to do, i promise!

I've been to many Euro cities and my favorite shopping city is definetly London.and if you are a vintage lover you'll love london shopping.I shopped from Harrords,Selfriedges,old spitalfields market and vintage shops around old spitalfields market and brick lane.I also love oxford street and top shop there.also many independent small shops you come across while you are walking around and due to best designer graduates there are so many emerging new designers.I've been there twice for shopping in last 6 months and I want to go again and again :smile:

While you are in London visit the boutique Layers, they carry many different designers visit www.layerslondon.com for more information.
My friend described it as avant garde, even if you dont buy anything its a pleasure just looking at the pieces.

16 Conduit Street
London
England
W1S 2XL

Tel: +44 (0) 207 495 1296

^Yes, I agree. Love that store. Very, very nice staff, too. They have such a good selection of brands. I love that they carry Nicolas Andréas Taralis and Aguri Sagimori.

My tips for London shopping/fash browsing:

ESSENTIALS:

Dover St. Market
Layers
Kokon to Zai
Harrods
Harvey Nicols
Liberty of London

IF YOU HAVE TIME:

Get lost in and around Dalston/Hoxton/Shoreditch and find quirky independent shops and markets. London has a great tradition of pop-up shops. Visit West London and discover Notting Hill, and if you can, Portobello Market. Visit the flagship's in Mayfair and Chelsea. Granted, they will make you feel poor but London is expensive. Personally, I'd avoid Carnaby Street unless all you want is a photograph. It's full of chain clothes shops on the whole. Anything you see there you can buy much cheaper online.

If you're new to London, avoid Angus Steak Houses like the plague, but do visit a Nando's and Wagamama if you want refuelling on a budget. Go to a gastropub (of which there are thousands) and enjoy a proper pint of beer and meat pie!

Sorry to go a bit tourist guide, but hope this helps.

I cannot wait to go there! I've been in London a few years ago, but I was too young to do any real shopping. Next fall I'll start to study at the Westminster Uni in London, and I'll stay there for 2 years. I cannot wait to shop, especially vintage items, because in the south of France where I live, there are not so much good vintage shops around here (between Cannes and Nice).

Are there any brands or stores that sell rock tshirts (vintage or new)?

I have some questions too. :D
Are the sales going to run in the second half of the August too? I know there won't be a lot left but still, can I hope to find some real bargains (considering I wear the smallest size - UK6)?

And another thing; most stores/shopping centres are open on Sundays too, is that correct?

Well for rock t-shirts I'd check Camden market and the shops around there and Shoreditch. Sometimes though, New Look and H&M sell rock t-shirts so it'll be worth looking in them.

Sometimes they cheekily put some more items on sale after the main sale starts so there is a small chance items will still be on sale during the second week of August. There won't be many and it would be best to check out the bigger shoppig areas like Oxford Street and both the Westfield shopping centres.

Most shops are open on Sunday but they close at five or six.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->