Boston shopping

And I keep seeing those huge adverts all over my FB page and feel like I should just get rid of FB once and for all. :lol:

Hey lucy92, hey ChrissyM, are you two still here?

I noticed Primark is coming to the old Filenes in DTX. Based on the clothes in the window display, I doubt I'll check it out.

I'm not familiar w/ Primark, other than it's a UK fast-fashion, low-price store. Any thoughts/opinions from anybody?

Hey lucy92, hey ChrissyM, are you two still here?

I noticed Primark is coming to the old Filenes in DTX. Based on the clothes in the window display, I doubt I'll check it out.

I'm not familiar w/ Primark, other than it's a UK fast-fashion, low-price store. Any thoughts/opinions from anybody?

i'm not in boston, but i know a lot about primark. basically it's lowest common denominator stuff.

and they do business with shady companies and countries that have no minimum wage. some sweatshop workers have even attached cries for help onto the labels of the clothing sold in primark stores for shoppers to find last year.

i wouldnt bother - not if you want to sleep at night.

I'm still in Boston, but I'll probably pass on primark for the reasons lucy mentioned as well.

I shopped it a decade ago when I was studying abroad in London, but the quality is really cheapest of the cheap. My guess is that we can basically compare it to Forever21? I haven't checked out what the design looks like lately, so I really can't say.

Good to know. At first gander, it really does seem like a subpar version of Forever 21. And nothing in the window spoke to me on a personal level.

How DTX has managed to remain in flux all these years is beyond me. It seems like it has such potential to be a great retail, residential, or restaurant hot-spot, or anything really, and yet nothing much has changed, besides getting rid of the old Filene's. Seems like a big waste of prime real-estate property, if you ask me.

Good to know. At first gander, it really does seem like a subpar version of Forever 21. And nothing in the window spoke to me on a personal level.

How DTX has managed to remain in flux all these years is beyond me. It seems like it has such potential to be a great retail, residential, or restaurant hot-spot, or anything really, and yet nothing much has changed, besides getting rid of the old Filene's. Seems like a big waste of prime real-estate property, if you ask me.

it wasn't a waste to the developers. the original plan by Vornado (the developers) for the filenes area was to abandon it and let it fall into such disrepair that the property would be eligible to earn a "blighted" designation which would reap valuable tax breaks.:rolleyes: in a lot of instances it's more valuable to the owners to let a building stay empty or even to quit building altogether.
the roche brothers store underneath filenes is OK, i'd only go there in a food emergency because the pricing is higher than a lot of other chains.

the 2 story uniqlo is still on track to open next month in fanuil hall.

the 2 story uniqlo is still on track to open next month in fanuil hall.

Just in time for the new Lemaire collection, which, based on pics I've seen so far, looks pretty damn nifty, if I do say so myself.

Just in time for the new Lemaire collection, which, based on pics I've seen so far, looks pretty damn nifty, if I do say so myself.

they may not carry it - or they may not carry the full collection. the newton store only carried a small collection of sander's collection and it (along with natick) were the only stores in the state to carry special collections not the boston pop up location. and the new uniqlo store at fanuil hall is still VERY small in comparison to their other stores in the northeast - despite it being 2 stories.

the lemaire microsite on uniqlos website doesnt specify exactly which stores will carry the collection yet.

the good thing is that you can buy online and take it into any uniqlo store for them to hem etc. for free.

I agree. I never venture over there. Always seems a little touristy and shady to me. :smile:

So I tried my hand at Primark, but only for holiday gift-card reasons.

The loud music, the bright lights, and the age-range of both shoppers and staff made me realize I've definitely aged-out of this store.

Oh, and the insane amount of clothes, and accessories, and housewares they had there really turned me off.

It made me feel old, claustrophobic, and like I needed an anti-anxiety Rx drug to make it through..not like I wanted to "throw money at the problem".

In other news, last time I went to the Nordstrom Rack store on Boylston, I noticed A LOT of Scotch & Soda stuff (probably from their closing on Newbury), and I have to say, so much of it looked really good, but maybe that was because of the heavily-discount pricetag attached to it. "Cute" stuff, nothing particularly cutting-edge. I wonder why I never paid much attention to that line before.

"I can't wait until the new Versace store opens at Copley Mall!," said nobody ever.

:rofl:

I'm pretty confident when I say I will never step foot in that store.

Me neither..even if said feet walked out with a free pair of high-tops w/ gold chains, gold shoelaces, gold topstitching, gold soles, and the inevitable gold Medusa logo on the tongue. Bleh!

2 questions: When did we get a Bottega Venetta near Newbury, and Why do we get a St. Laurent in Copley?

I'm planning to be in Boston on business soon, and on my agenda is a visit to the Thos. Moser store, which we don't have here. Unfortunately they close pretty early, which isn't convenient ... would be so nice if they had a late night.

Is there anything I shouldn't miss in the way of shopping or food? Where should I go for great (seared) foie gras? TIA.

The good news is that the Thos Moser store is perpendicular to the largest shipping thoroughfare in boston (newbury street). it's right around the corner. the barneys at the copley mall is pretty good - if it's sale time i suggest checking it out.

La voile and l'espalier serve foie gras - also close to thos moser.

Just stopping back by to report that I enjoyed L'espalier, where Andy Warhol was my waiter (he said his name was Drew). The valet situation is non-ideal, but the service was very friendly and non-pretentious, and I really enjoyed the food. By the time I reached then end of the meal, I couldn't take another bite nor sip, and I took the final amuse bouche (I forget the correct term for the one at the end) with me. The grilled sweet corn, and fresh baby mushrooms in multiple dishes are especially memorable. The dessert was a weak point, but that's not unusual for small restaurants that often don't have dedicated pastry chefs. At least a third of the people there were celebrating birthdays or anniversaries ... sweet.

Also had a good experience at Thos. Moser. It's a very small showroom, but I was still able to see what I wanted to see there, and the people were very friendly, helpful, and competent.

Boston doesn't seem to be much of a fashion town ... I was a bit surprised by that, but then again I don't know New England well. Distressed cutoffs (all eligible for my rag pile) seemed to be a thing. I was visiting Waltham on business, and some of the women I met seemed to be reaching for new ... levels in low-maintenance hair and clothes, even considering they work in tech :wink:

Boston doesn't seem to be much of a fashion town ... I was a bit surprised by that, but then again I don't know New England well. Distressed cutoffs (all eligible for my rag pile) seemed to be a thing. I was visiting Waltham on business, and some of the women I met seemed to be reaching for new ... levels in low-maintenance hair and clothes, even considering they work in tech :wink:
Bite'cher tongue! We now have TWO Gucci stores! They opened a new one recently at Copley Mall, and I do have to give them credit: the overall appearance of the store does look quite inviting. Tom's Gucci store said "Don't come in, unless you have money." The other designer's Gucci store said "Don't come in, at all.", but the new Gucci store says, "Come one, come all." Cha-ching!

^ Well, even Gucci would be an improvement over a lot of what I saw on my trip :wink: Suspect none of my former coworkers would spring for it though ...

Isn't it interesting when stores send that 'Don't come in at all' vibe? I have always gotten that from Carolina Herrera, and I think it's more of a diffusion line store, but who knows ... because I've never been in (got the memo).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhill
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->