Boston shopping

Reaction score
I am from Boston myself and know all of the common areas but I'm looking for some new places to expand my shopping spectrum. If anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. A good place for some vintage stuff or some cool little shops? If not I'll have to do some more research myself I guess, thanks in advance! :flower:

My brother lives in Boston and when ever I vist him I always go to Nuberry street. The stores have really gotten progressively better over the years. Louis Boston is probably the absolute best (it feels like a family owned Barney's--sans the bitchy sales people and the obnoxious wanna-be-it-girl customers), but there are a whole bunch of little second hand and vintage stores along the steet. The closer you get to the Commons the better the stores seem to get, and it isnt just typical high end BS.

it's newbury street. :wink: .. but it's pretty much the well known shopping area (+ copley place + the shops at the pru)......

i haven't actually done research lately ... but a few years ago there were some really cute vintage shops in Harvard Sqaure.. not too far down from the T stop....but i'm not sure how it is todayy...i ahven't been there for a few years (...i can never get anyone to venture with me to find the good stuff.....it's always the designer stores people wanna go to...)

...but harvard square is pretty well known for shopping too...so i'm not much help... (i'm from a suburb...i only actually get into boston for shopping maybe once or twice a month, if i'm lucky)....

ya, im a suburbian who tries to get into boston as often as possible too. i agree with everyone on newbury, harvard, coply/pru.
but i wanna add charles street to the list! its SO boston, a total must visit. make sure u get some pizza from The Upper Crust. its the absolute best.
fanuil hall/quincy market can be passed over. nothing special really.

I visit Boston pretty often. I am afraid besides Louis of Boston there is not much to look at. There is also a pretty good store on Newburry that I forget the name of, it's some Italian name, starts with S. They carry Costume National, Prada, CDG, etc...

Originally posted by faust@Nov 8 2004, 02:42 PM
I visit Boston pretty often. I am afraid besides Louis of Boston there is not much to look at. There is also a pretty good store on Newburry that I forget the name of, it's some Italian name, starts with S. They carry Costume National, Prada, CDG, etc...
[snapback]423389[/snapback]​

Here is a link to Louis of Boston, btw

Louis

Hmm maybe you should checkout downtown crossing. Fanuel Hall is mostly tourist junk with the occasional Ann Taylor Loft. Also Newburry Street and Harvard square like everyone else said. Cambridgeside galleria?

You should check out Alan Bilzerian on Newbury St. Great shop and they carry items like Ann Demeulemeester, Dior, etc. If you are prone to changing your mind, don't shop there as they don't allow cash refunds...better hit up Barneys at the Mall at Chestnut Hill (ladies only).

Newbury is ultra trendy, but I like it to an extent. A nice mix of chains and indie type stores.

Faust, I think the store you are thinking of is Serenella. :unsure: if that is Italian.....
But they carry tons of European collections for women....nice spot.... :flower:
Calypso and Intermix are also on Newbury. I think a woman, even one who is fashion forward can really do well in Boston :smile: My wife likes it there, but I'm usually confined to the Neimans at Copley or the Saks at Pru Center, both of which aren't the greatest in terms of menswear.

I'm actually from a suburb about 15 minutes out of boston myself, but the train makes it pretty easy for me to get in there. I have been to majority of the places you guys mentioned, I have not been to Louis of Boston and will definitely have to check it out. The garment district is fun, you have to have some time to spend, especially if you plan to dig around in the $1 for a pound of clothes pile haha. Thanks for all your help everyone, I'm still hoping to discover some hidden treasure of boston where I can find some amazing stuff :wink: If I do I'll keep you posted!

hey bostonians!!! good to know that there are a few of us out there :P go over to wellesley if you can get there and check out gretta luxe...great clothes....marc jacobs, miu miu, balenciaga...and also, for some cheaper, funkier clothing try house of culture on newbury...i like that place alot

Originally posted by sugarpea@Nov 8 2004, 10:26 PM
hey bostonians!!! good to know that there are a few of us out there :P go over to wellesley if you can get there and check out gretta luxe...great clothes....marc jacobs, miu miu, balenciaga...and also, for some cheaper, funkier clothing try house of culture on newbury...i like that place alot
[snapback]424049[/snapback]​

house of culture actually shut down recently...sadly too, i liked that place

im from ny and in boston now for school...ill be honest...i leave most of my shopping when i go back home. boston shopping is a little... eek! Although im the type who hates malls and dept stores... if you are looking for something a little different, but still trendyish, try Stil on Newbury (#170)... i did a show for them and they have some awesome clothes you cant find at most places. i think the garment district sucks most of the time, too overdone for my tastes, but i do like the downstairs clothes by the pound part if i have a ton of time and are not looking for anything specific......

one store i love i love is second time around on newbury...designer resale, but very reasonably priced

the south end has a couple cute little boutiques... gotta search for them though, they usually arent very obvious...

Louis is a lot like Barneys,although too bland for my tastes... their cafe is great though :smile:

im still searching for one amazing vintage store.... but luckily new york is only a short drive away

right now the question on my mind is if the lagerfield line for H and M is coming to Boston as one of its select cities :P

Originally posted by Theory@Nov 8 2004, 07:25 PM
You should check out Alan Bilzerian on Newbury St. Great shop and they carry items like Ann Demeulemeester, Dior, etc. If you are prone to changing your mind, don't shop there as they don't allow cash refunds...better hit up Barneys at the Mall at Chestnut Hill (ladies only).

Newbury is ultra trendy, but I like it to an extent. A nice mix of chains and indie type stores.

Faust, I think the store you are thinking of is Serenella. :unsure: if that is Italian.....
But they carry tons of European collections for women....nice spot.... :flower:
Calypso and Intermix are also on Newbury. I think a woman, even one who is fashion forward can really do well in Boston :smile: My wife likes it there, but I'm usually confined to the Neimans at Copley or the Saks at Pru Center, both of which aren't the greatest in terms of menswear.
[snapback]423821[/snapback]​

Yes, Serenella, thank you! What is this store that carries Ann and Dior?! :shock: :woot: Do they have men's stuff?

Yes, they have mens.
I'm in Boston monthly at the very least and besides Newbury and a few spots in Cambridge, there isn't much....I actually like Newbury a lot.....

The name of the store is Alan Bilzerian., it's located pretty close to the Banana Republic flagship (maybe 1 or 2 stores down). It's a great spot....I'm shocked you have bypassed it....they don't have a selection like Barneys, but it's well edited and defintely worth a glance....I'm too fickle to mess with no refund back policies......

Faust, I think you are talking about Ricardo on Newbury St. They have Prada sports, Dolce and Gabbana, Dsquared, CDG, Chrome Heart, and Junya. For Alain Bilzerian, they also have Yohji, Margiela ....

Originally posted by boxma@Nov 10 2004, 01:34 AM
Faust, I think you are talking about Ricardo on Newbury St. They have Prada sports, Dolce and Gabbana, Dsquared, CDG, Chrome Heart, and Junya. For Alain Bilzerian, they also have Yohji, Margiela ....
[snapback]425591[/snapback]​

Riccardi and Alan Bilzerian are both pretty cool stores. I found that Riccardi carries a lot of grey market items (they send someone to purchase the items from europe that aren't available here and then resell it) as well as a lot of crap (reworked tour t-shirts etc. etc. that are lame). Their sales are pretty good though, pretty deep discounts when it's time to clear out the shelves. The salespeople are pretty nice, normal people. Not the kind of people you usually see hawking the high end goods.

Alan Bilzerian is pretty cool. I didnt know they carried Dior (Dior homme perhaps?!?!?!) but they do carry the japanese brands listed before, as well as Maharishi. Some neat puma and adidas kicks as well. It's weird that it is one of the only stores I know of on Newbury where you have to get buzzed in the door though...

I find myself shopping at Neimans in boston a lot (I live in kenmore sq. real close to the virgin megastore side of newbury) for the variety and such.

They opened that marc jacobs on newbury not too long ago and I finally got a chance to stop in last weekend. It was more cramped and packed with clothes than I had expected it to be. Stuff wasn't way expensive, but nothing caught my eye incredibly so. They even sell skateboards hahahaha

I went to Alan Bilzerian today, there is no Dior Homme and I dont see any Ann Dem also. Louis has a pretty good collection of Cloak, I am waiting for the winter sales to start ......... :P

No more Ann? Oh no :(
Perhaps the Boston folks didn't support the brand so they aren't carrying it anymore? I never saw Dior Homme there.
I just don't like Louis for some reason..I'm also findng that cloak isn't as unique as its been heralded...i kinda see it headed down the path of dsquared... :unsure: the vibe is just blah.....anything else of note at Bilzerian???....sales should be starting up next month :smile:

Originally posted by boxma@Nov 11 2004, 08:28 PM
I went to Alan Bilzerian today, there is no Dior Homme and I dont see any Ann Dem also. Louis has a pretty good collection of Cloak, I am waiting for the winter sales to start ......... :P
[snapback]428001[/snapback]​

still same old stuff in AB, Issey, a little bit of Yohji, lots of MMM

Originally posted by Theory@Nov 11 2004, 08:50 PM
No more Ann? Oh no :(
Perhaps the Boston folks didn't support the brand so they aren't carrying it anymore? I never saw Dior Homme there.
I just don't like Louis for some reason..I'm also findng that cloak isn't as unique as its been heralded...i kinda see it headed down the path of dsquared... :unsure: the vibe is just blah.....anything else of note at Bilzerian???....sales should be starting up next month :smile:
[snapback]428023[/snapback]​

A lot of the good Cloak stuff is already gone.. to my wardrobe. :wink: They had some really nice Neil Barrett stuff, too, some of which is in my wardrobe as well. I thought that Louis' Fall stuff was slightly weak, but I haven't loved a lot the Fall collections this year anyway. And I find Alan Bilzerian to be only vaguely interesting; they had a lot of CDG the last time I was in there (a month ago?), just a bunch of stuff I didn't find very inspiring. And I can't recall ever seeing Dior Homme there, although I'm not normally looking for it.

Market, which is in the South End but is moving to Newbury St., has some nice stuff (they had a lot of really nice Vivienne Westwood stock in September). It has a very strong gay vibe, which isn't my thing (clothes-wise, that is, I don't give a crap if you're gay or not)--i.e. summer is heavy on beachwear you'd sport down at PTown or South Beach. Maybe they'll tame it a bit on Newbury, I don't know.. who thought that they stuff at Riccardi's was grey market? Which stuff, like the Dolce stuff? I've always suspected some grey market stuff, but I talk to the owner quite a bit and he seems pretty legit--of course, I didn't come out and ask him if he was trading in the grey. Tough old-school businessguy. They are opening a denim gallery downstairs, now that the new Diesel flagship went in further up on Newbury.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->