Boston shopping

Originally posted by Theory@Nov 11 2004, 08:50 PM
No more Ann? Oh no :(
Perhaps the Boston folks didn't support the brand so they aren't carrying it anymore? I never saw Dior Homme there.
I just don't like Louis for some reason..I'm also findng that cloak isn't as unique as its been heralded...i kinda see it headed down the path of dsquared... :unsure: the vibe is just blah.....anything else of note at Bilzerian???....sales should be starting up next month :smile:
[snapback]428023[/snapback]​

I'm not surprised that there is no more Ann in Boston. It is definitely a niche market brand.
I have to disagree about Cloak though. :flower: I think it's very fresh. I really don't see how it could be compared to D2 :blink: .

the designs are far superior to Dsquared...i just mean right now they are getting rave reviews but I don't think it will last...i could be wrong though...remember dsquared was all the rage and now its completely despised by many although cloak does actually design whereas dsquared does...something.....
i just don't think cloak offers anything unique (to warrant such a premium price) that i can't locate elsewhere......its the little things that count though and i know they do an excellent job with buttons (saw a cardigan that used MOP buttons!!!!!) but I dunno...maybe it has to grow on me some more.........

Originally posted by faust@Nov 12 2004, 11:23 AM
I'm not surprised that there is no more Ann in Boston. It is definitely a niche market brand.
I have to disagree about Cloak though. :flower: I think it's very fresh. I really don't see how it could be compared to D2 :blink: .
[snapback]428660[/snapback]​

Klm, where is Market on Newbury St ? Why nobody mentions Filenne Basement in downtown crossing, I just pick up a Dolce & Gabanna pants for $75 :wink:

im not a huge fan of downtown crossing shopping area, it's kinda sketchy and smelly.

Originally posted by Theory@Nov 12 2004, 07:10 PM
the designs are far superior to Dsquared...i just mean right now they are getting rave reviews but I don't think it will last...i could be wrong though...remember dsquared was all the rage and now its completely despised by many although cloak does actually design whereas dsquared does...something.....
i just don't think cloak offers anything unique (to warrant such a premium price) that i can't locate elsewhere......its the little things that count though and i know they do an excellent job with buttons (saw a cardigan that used MOP buttons!!!!!) but I dunno...maybe it has to grow on me some more.........
[snapback]429395[/snapback]​

Hmm, I strongly beleive if you saw the Cloak selection at A and Opening Ceremony and not in Barneys, you'd change your mind. I love the buttons too. MOP buttons, are they wooden conic buttons? Was the cardigan thick knit? Because I think you are talking about the one that I bought...

I figured that you meant press reviews. But aside from tFS (and the recent Vogue nomination) I didn't see rave reviews anywhere else.

Originally posted by boxma@Nov 12 2004, 11:03 PM
Klm, where is Market on Newbury St ? Why nobody mentions Filenne Basement in downtown crossing, I just pick up a Dolce & Gabanna pants for $75 :wink:
[snapback]429577[/snapback]​

I don't think Market is on Newbury.. it is in south end I think the gay spot for boston. I know they carry Dsquared there... and they get their shipment like 6 month later than anyone else... they also have another store in Providence. I think they have a website... but pretty boring...

As with Filenes Basement.. yeah it is pretty good and you can find some good stuff in Filenes but they fly out of the door.

Oh.. how I miss boston when I studied there*sigh* :unsure: ... :doh:

Originally posted by Chinorlz@Nov 10 2004, 11:40 AM
Riccardi and Alan Bilzerian are both pretty cool stores. I found that Riccardi carries a lot of grey market items (they send someone to purchase the items from europe that aren't available here and then resell it) as well as a lot of crap (reworked tour t-shirts etc. etc. that are lame). Their sales are pretty good though, pretty deep discounts when it's time to clear out the shelves. The salespeople are pretty nice, normal people. Not the kind of people you usually see hawking the high end goods.

I find myself shopping at Neimans in boston a lot (I live in kenmore sq. real close to the virgin megastore side of newbury) for the variety and such.

They opened that marc jacobs on newbury not too long ago and I finally got a chance to stop in last weekend. It was more cramped and packed with clothes than I had expected it to be. Stuff wasn't way expensive, but nothing caught my eye incredibly so. They even sell skateboards hahahaha
[snapback]426032[/snapback]​

Riccardi is ok.. the owner is called Riccardo... yeah how original... their sale is pretty nice the highest Riccardi will go on sale is 50%(that was about 6 month ago last I was in touch with them) so they could be higher I don't know....

I find Louise boston is overpriced.. and you can always find it in Filenes basement, so I gave up going there long time ago...

Market isn't on Newbury yet, they are on Tremont in the South End (which is, yes, "the gay spot"), their selection isn't _the best_ but they will have some interesting stuff (and it is in-season, as far as I can tell). Who can be picky anyway when you live in Boston? New York is like heaven, especially where menswear is concerned, when compared to Boston. For that matter, Montreal is like heaven, compared to Boston.

And how is Louis overpriced? Expensive, yes, but if you compare the prices on what they carry versus the prices on the same items in New York, they're in sync. So they are either expensive, which is true, or overpriced in your mind in relation to the quality of items they sell, which is your opinion, but they are not overpriced in the sense that they are charging more for items that other stores are selling for less.

And you aren't going to find in Filene's Basement the same stuff that Louis' carries. What would be the point in carrying Cloak or Neil Barrett or whatever if it was going to end up there? They make money by exclusivity. And no, I don't know why I'm defending them or explaining anything, I don't even really like the store that much. Maybe I just need to justify to myself how much money I've spent over the years there... :wink:

A cute shop on Newbury Street is "Eye of the Needle". It's great for fun tees and sweaters. The only drawback are the saleswomen. My advice is to give them the same attitude that they give you! They also have a store on Nantucket - the clothes are a little more preppy - and the salespeople are much nicer!

I'm heading to Boston next week and decided to revive this thread.
I saw Market profiled in DailyCandy Boston, so you guys are saying its not worth it? The review at Dailycandy made it seem so interesting....

Here's there website:
http://www.marketfashion.com/

Not much in the way of fashion but I may check it out anyways.
I never see great mens sportswear at the Filenes Basement there....you can do well suitswise....and I always see a bunch of Diesels there....and I don't think Louis Boston marks up their product anymore than your average boutique.

Huh, if Market has moved I hadn't noticed, because they still have their shop in the South End. There wasn't much of interest to me when I looked last week, but if there is a shop on Newbury now they might have better stuff at that one. They have some nice stuff occasionally, but a lot of what they carry is definitely for bar-hopping in PTown.

I don't know what you are into, but really the only two places for me in town are Louis Boston and Alan Bilzerian. And maybe Riccardi's if I'm looking for some Costume National-type stuff, or good jeans.

Theory said:
I'm heading to Boston next week and decided to revive this thread.
I saw Market profiled in DailyCandy Boston, so you guys are saying its not worth it? The review at Dailycandy made it seem so interesting....

Here's there website:
http://www.marketfashion.com/

Not much in the way of fashion but I may check it out anyways.
I never see great mens sportswear at the Filenes Basement there....you can do well suitswise....and I always see a bunch of Diesels there....and I don't think Louis Boston marks up their product anymore than your average boutique.
I just looked at their brand line up - barf!!! :sick:

faust said:
I just looked at their brand line up - barf!!! :sick:
I know, but then I went in and they had all this _really_ nice Vivienne Westwood stuff. Shrug..

kLm said:
I know, but then I went in and they had all this _really_ nice Vivienne Westwood stuff. Shrug..
Vivienne Westwood as in the main line, not Anglomania?! Interesting!

Hi guys...good to see you all here :rolleyes:
Woud love to meet some fashion loving girls
I also love shopping in AB, Louis, Serenella, Riccardi, Intermix & Stel's on Newbury
I like hang around in Neiman and Saks too

Just wanna mention this store call Tess in Harvard Square, their collections are not as fun as those stores on Newbury, but sometimes they got really nice stuff too. Oh, you can also make some bargains over there. I get a lot of Jil Sander & Blumarine from them

Tess doesn't happen to carry menswear does it? I'm guessing from the name that it doesn't:(

Still gotta hit up that Filene's basement in Newton!

Chinor1z said:
Tess doesn't happen to carry menswear does it? I'm guessing from the name that it doesn't:(

Nope, all women's wear at Tess. Have you been to Stel's at all? They've got quite a bit of stuff that I like, and they are very cool people.

For vintage. I like the Closet Consigner as well. A couple new shops have opened at the new Hotel Commonwealth that are cool: Fanny and Delphine and Jean Therapy. Jean Therapy is cool, they have a great selection for such a small shop and tons of individual attention. You can make appointments on Mondays to privately try jeans on, and the owner is really great about making recs based on your body. My only drawback there was that i fell in love with a pair of Sacred Blue which she did not have in my size. She ordered them for me, and then I never heard back about them. When I finally got around to calling, she had totally forgot! So, she is very busy and if you need anything followed up on, you kind of need to get after her...
No mens though...

Jean therapy carries jeans for both men and women. Although, there is definitely more in stock for womens. I don't know how well that store is doing... a lot of the denim brands are obscure and people overall are hesitant to spend $100+ on a brand that they aren't familiar with. Which is why sevens and diesel do so well.

I hope they keep it up though! It's just a block down the street from me (i'm in between hotel commonwealth and newbury.

Chinor1z said:

Where is the Filene's basement in Newton? Is it the one in the mall . . . forgetting the name of which one . . . that is in the watertown area? Either way I don't think any of them compare to the Filene's basement in Boston dowtown crossing area . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->