Louis Vuitton Pre-Fall 2024 Shanghai

I agree I think he's a great designer who really sits down and designs sketches but this does nothing for me there are some really nice wonderful things but it was just to Junior. but I'm sure the Chinese and Asian markets will love it.
I'm sure the Chinese and Asian markets will love it. .......don't understand this part means, as the those markets are the income drivers for all mayor luxury fashion houses and look at Hedi career at all his houses been always supported big by those markets as Celine now survived the first slow years because of the Lisa´s of the region and now the rest of the world can jump on it.

But one thing i remembered that Mrs. Prada basically once said was: rich woman (people) dress/like in general all pretty much the same things around the world people... i agree with this at the core it's about announcing your status be is silently or loudly be it fashion or cultured .....

Very bold collection. The toy prints, the colors, the shapes are all big statements.

I'm happy Nicolas is not doing quiet luxury (whatever that is), but instead he's proposing a sort of modern maximalist wardrope. It's like Michele's Gucci but without the granny vintage thing. A great option for women who want to look chic without dressing like they're going to a funeral.
wanna know a fun fact :
as one of my dear friend was working at LV in design studio early on when Michele's Gucci started to pick up the internal design discussion by the head of studio Natasha was if the clashing and magpie of ideas Maximalism in one collection was the new way to go and you can notice with the collections soon after from spring 2016 & fall 2016 you notice this overt clashing and styles happening more confidently as well, with a crescendo fall 2019 resort 2020 spring 2020

I think Nicolas Ghesquiere is probably the most underrated designer in the consciousness of today's generation of Tik Tok/IG fashion fans. Either they praise Cristobal's Balenciaga, or they spit on Demna, but Nicolas tenure is absolutely not mentioned. I'm pretty sure they think JW Anderson or Daniel Roseberry are more talented than NG, my *** 🤣.
Even the likes of Martin Margiela Phoebe Philo got more praises than him from Tik Tok crowds lol. They even think Raf Simon is elevating Prada menswear
His work is not very accessible in terms of taste in those very fast times. We are bombarded by images and he does very bold fashion propositions every year, 4 times a year.
It’s a lot to digest and then, on top of that, you have clashes of fabrics, influences, patterns, colors.
And in reality, it seems like he is making his work even less accessible as much as Louis Vuitton continues to grow.

I remember people hating his last few 80’s inspired collections at Balenciaga. They got it much later.

Maybe people will appreciate his work for Vuitton much later. The bags are easy to understand though.

Demna, JWA and all are doing very pop things. It’s easy to understand, either tongue and cheek or fun. Nicolas is playful but not fun.

People on Tik Tok will never catch on because no matter how crazy or bold NG goes, its all with capital F and its always a new proposition to clothing. Those tik tok people can only understand gimmicks not art or fashion.

To be fair, Ghesquière is generally overshadowed, because he's a quiet, private designer existing in a generation of showmen. He's easily overshadowed by louder, more viral personalities like Demna, Virgil and Pharrell. It doesn't help that his design aesthetic is often described as "uncategorisable" by press, which comes at odds with the era of aesthetics and "-cores".

Louis Vuitton is doing a livestreaming on very popular Chinese social platform RED tonight for this collection. To my surprises, a lot of RTW pieces can be pre-ordered during the livestreaming (way more items than what is available on their website, and not just those artist collab items).

NG has always been a fashionistas designer. thats why bernard wanted him - to raise the status of LV into the fashionistas darling territory. Smart since LV had a reputation of being a fashionista repeller even with MJ.

Not at all like Karl where normies can gaze upon it and find value. NG is like fois gras.

Pre Orders are nothing to worry about when you live in a World City and can access the Pinnacle boutiques like 5th Ave or Champs E. Where I live - the LV boutique actually closed. The other two are small footprint so the mens section is tiny. The product mix is strange in the smaller LV boutiques I noticed - a mix of 4 seasons out with brand new season. The stuff they had in the back was somehow worse!

The best LV in this area is miami design district but thats 2 hours round trip in miami traffic which makes NY traffic look calm and collected.

Last edited:
I want Lisa from Black Pink to be LV's new Ambassador, she's stunning in Nicolas's LV :heart:.

wanna know a fun fact :
as one of my dear friend was working at LV in design studio early on when Michele's Gucci started to pick up the internal design discussion by the head of studio Natasha was if the clashing and magpie of ideas Maximalism in one collection was the new way to go and you can notice with the collections soon after from spring 2016 & fall 2016 you notice this overt clashing and styles happening more confidently as well, with a crescendo fall 2019 resort 2020 spring 2020
Now I understand why Nicolas did that awfully dated looking spring 2020 collection. The pure vintage clothes with the odd hair makeup was so not him. Fall 2019 at least had his typical shapes.

Now I understand why Nicolas did that awfully dated looking spring 2020 collection. The pure vintage clothes with the odd hair makeup was so not him. Fall 2019 at least had his typical shapes.
I love/loved that Art Nouveau collection…
But indeed what @PDFSD said make sense regarding Michele because it’s like a one-off in Nicolas’s repertoire.
I love that collection, the styling, the pieces but it’s Art Nouveau through the 70’s eyes at a moment when he was referencing a lot of 80’s stuff.
Fall 2019 was Gaultier infused, Spring 2019 was Memphis infused.
The 70’s was something he did in his early days at Vuitton, when clothes were simpler and silhouettes, more approachable.

But my favorite pants he did, along with the jeans from SS2015 are from that Art Nouveau collection.

In retrospective, FW2020 is probably my least favorite collection with FW2017.

My favorite thing about Nicolas'collections for LV is that at first you hate them but a week or two later you start to appreciate and fall in love with some pieces. He is one of the very few designers who still experiment with silhouette. The results are not always my cup of tea but it's always interesting to see. Too bad the campaigns are so boring, I had the same issue with Karl's work for Chanel and Fendi, great collections and hideous campaigns.

But indeed what @PDFSD said make sense regarding Michele because it’s like a one-off in Nicolas’s repertoire.
I love that collection, the styling, the pieces but it’s Art Nouveau through the 70’s eyes at a moment when he was referencing a lot of 80’s stuff.
The 70’s was something he did in his early days at Vuitton, when clothes were simpler and silhouettes, more approachable.

But my favorite pants he did, along with the jeans from SS2015 are from that Art Nouveau collection.

Yes I like The 70’s was something he did in his early days at Vuitton ....era more, it was a good block for further refinements and expermention, but instead we got more and more frankenstein experiments that were not fully materialized often because of the amount of details and ideas in one look or collection.

but i still love him lol

It's not that the pieces are awful. They're not. It's the look the pisses me off.

My favorite from his LV era is Spring 2016. I love the cyberpunk vibes of it. It's nice that Nicolas is the great geek of HF. :P

It's not that the pieces are awful. They're not. It's the look the pisses me off.

My favorite from his LV era is Spring 2016. I love the cyberpunk vibes of it. It's nice that Nicolas is the great geek of HF. :P
Spring 2017, Fall 2021 and the Palms Springs resort are my Top 3!
I love Spring 2016 even though it’s not on my top 3 or 5.

My favorite collection of his at Vuitton is Fall 2018. I loved that show, it was so immersive and the pieces are really easy to wear. You could still wear some of them today and not look dated. I hate that he oversizes almost everything these days. It's not flattering. At Balenciaga he was more conscious of the body and it balanced out the experimentations. He lost that at Vuitton. The fabrics and the colors often look cheap and it's hard to keep up with the aesthetics, they change every collection. They were already changing at Balenciaga but it looked more cohesive. Nicolas is not only great at futuristic designs, he's also amazing at historical clothing: the embroidered coats of Spring 2018, the creme jackets of Spring 2006. Even the Elizabeth I inspired dress he did for an Irving Penn photograph of Cate Blanchett, amazing ! I wish he'd mix the historical and the futuristic, couture and ready-to-wear, modern and contemporary. But he doesn't always and it's often hit and miss for me. I loved Fall 2024, I hate Pre-Fall 2024. Pre-fall is usually some of his work I like the best: 2016, 2017, 2018, 2020, 2021, 2023. When I look at the Vuitton website, I find silhouettes I really like. It's more streamlined, more fresh, more fun. I wish he did that more but I read it's the suits that pushed him to make things more attention-grabbing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marcos11
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->