67.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 9
I don't find this tacky, at all - in fact, I absolutely love it! :D
I find it tacky, but tacky in the best possible way, deliciously over the top and vulgar and flashy and fun. A show like this simply screams FASHION. To me it almost seems like the idealized fantasy image of fashion that people who don't follow it have, you know? It's glamorous, it's decadent, it's ridiculous, it's dramatic, and it's above the every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it tacky, but tacky in the best possible way, deliciously over the top and vulgar and flashy and fun. A show like this simply screams FASHION. To me it almost seems like the idealized fantasy image of fashion that people who don't follow it have, you know? It's glamorous, it's decadent, it's ridiculous, it's dramatic, and it's above the every day.

Yes, delicious is the word! :D

I think you make an excellent point about this being like an idealised fantasy of fashion as a whole and I suppose that shows the enduring power of YSL, really?

Even people who don't really know who he was, or what he did, when they hear the word 'fashion' still have images like these appear in their minds.

I suppose if tacky can also be really good, I guess this could be considered to be just a little bit tacky?! :lol:

I tend to only think of tacky as being a bad thing, though (maybe that says more about me, than the word?!), so I think I'd probably tend to call it a bit kitsch, or camp (as Marc did), rather than tacky, personally?

After all the wishy-washy, 'New Minimalism' (whatever the heck the 'New' refers to? Is that just an attempt to distance it from the minimalism of the very late '90s?), it's just such a relief to see something so strong, fun and utterly unapologetic, again! :D

Also, I've been vaguely obsessed with YSL, lately (particularly late '70s/early '80s YSL), so this and his signature line just feel right, to me.

I think Marc (like Miuccia) is very clever to stubbornly swim against the minimalist, ecru tide as, by doing so, they will pick up all the people who are utterly tired of it, too.

Much as I love Chloe's signature nude and blush tones, most designers simply don't do them very well and this made me beam broadly, in a way that ecru chiffon never will...

Last edited by a moderator:
Accessories (via style.com)

00010m.jpg
00180m.jpg
01040m.jpg
01050m.jpg
01060m.jpg
01070m.jpg
01120m.jpg
01140m.jpg

why does marc jacobs always look like thrift store stuff to me. things from seconds shoppes all piled on together. it never looks expensive to me.

also in the review on style.com it says "camp". what does that mean?:unsure:

I like some of the long narrow skirts & some of the bags. It's alright. Wouldn't wear the giraffe suit, of course.

why does marc jacobs always look like thrift store stuff to me. things from seconds shoppes all piled on together. it never looks expensive to me.

also in the review on style.com it says "camp". what does that mean?:unsure:

Camp means the way some gay men are. :D

Actually, some straight people can be camp, too - but it's more readily associated with the gay community.

These are exactly my thoughts on this collection. It just oozes decadence from every pore. It's borderline tack/fashion, but for some reason with all that decadence, flashy drama and the incredible energy it becomes full-on fashion. Love it!

I don't understand this collection at all. To me, it is almost as if he is making fun of chinoiserie and the designers and artists who used it. For me, this ironic take on chinoiserie is absolutely not amusing.

Besides, what I despise about this collection is how literal it all is. I don't mind the references (even though they not my taste) but what I do mind is that Marc has not even bothered to interpret these references with a modern perspective. He has literally, I assume, taken a shape / silhouette from a book or what not, and embellished it / made it in a vibrant colour.

Overall, this is lazy and pretentious. And from what I saw, there is very poor craftsmanship in comparison to last season. I feel sorry for the women who will be coerced into buying into this kitschy mess of a collection.

took the words out of my mouth.
there's not one look that i even remotely like. even the shoes look cheap :ninja: next..

Will honestly I havce mixed feelings about this colleciton. There are some really beautiful tailored peices in this collection and I love the explosion of color in the collection but some of it is just too much. The peices with the fan-like fringe on them are just horrid but the looks with the flower prints and fringe are quite beautiful.

yes, I really like some of the colors! my favourite is the electric blue skirt with the sequin giraffe on the top...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieS
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->