M.I.A.

Reaction score
Does anyone here love M.I.A. as much as I do? The buzz around her right now is absolutely deafening--the Fader, the New York Times, The New Yorker, and every single music blog in existence have lauded her as the biggest thing in 2005.

She's a Sri Lankan rapper and played a show at Misshapes and the Knitting Factory this weekend that was totally sold out. You have to listen to this because her sound is so new and fresh. It's absolutely astounding.

Video for her lead single "Galang":

http://www.smugglersite.com/mov/fleischer_galang.mov

Cover of her new album, "Arular", out on the 22nd from XL Recordings:

B0007KIFLO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

She's amazing. Give her five minutes and you'll be in love.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read an interview with her in i-D, she sounded cool. I like what she said. I remember she said some thing funny about beeing a refuge

I like the video

metal-on-metal said:
Does anyone here love M.I.A. as much as I do? The buzz around her right now is absolutely deafening--the Fader, the New York Times, The New Yorker, and every single music blog in existence have lauded her as the biggest thing in 2005.

She's a Sri Lankan rapper and played a show at Misshapes and the Knitting Factory this weekend that was totally sold out. You have to listen to this because her sound is so new and fresh. It's absolutely astounding.

Video for her lead single "Galang":

http://www.smugglersite.com/mov/fleischer_galang.mov

Cover of her new album, "Arular", out on the 22nd from XL Recordings:

B0007KIFLO.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

She's amazing. Give her five minutes and you'll be in love.

Was that in English or a mix of languagues? I had to listen to it on the low volume, so I couldn't make out some words. "Purple haze", I made that out :lol: :innocent:

English. Though I'm sure she mixes slang from her native language. Did you like it, faust?

:buzz: I'm listening now, and I really like it! Thank you for sharing... it's so different from what I've come to expect.

She's so fun, i recently heard her too. I love sunshowers and her videos are so unique she's a very artistic person. What I like is her music is upbeat and much different than usual, like purplelucrezia said.

she had a show in the la knitting factory a week or two ago i think.

didn't go, and i haven't heard any of her music, but there's definitely quite a bit of hype surrounding her.

sars said:
she had a show in the la knitting factory a week or two ago i think.

didn't go, and i haven't heard any of her music, but there's definitely quite a bit of hype surrounding her.

Yeah, I think it was on the 3rd. Apparently it was an amazing show.

faust said:
Was that in English or a mix of languagues? I had to listen to it on the low volume, so I couldn't make out some words. "Purple haze", I made that out :lol: :innocent:
I'm rewatching it for the third time now, and it continues to make more sense each time I watch it. In one of the sections she talks about sitting in a BMW with a cell phone, and how the hell can they contact you? Or something along those lines... She seems very political too and "cool" to me. I rather admire her so far, to be completely honest. I like what she's wearing as well, although it's nothing that I would personally wear. Also the fact that she seems to be interested in actually producing decent music, rather than simply exploiting her sexuality. Does anyone know how old she is? She looks pretty young in the video itself.

:lol: I've looked her up, and- she's twenty-eight. I thought that she was like eighteen.
Anyway, here's an article on her. The page also has a link to another of her videos, Sunshowers, which is set in a jungle. And this is her official website.

She looks a lot like my friend who is also Sri Lankan, but my friend is more beautiful.

today

times had glowing review of her KF show today [monday].

must score her mixtape. legit cd out this month I think.

Thanks, lady_grey.

The article...

Give Them What They Want but Keep It Sort of Cool

By KELEFA SANNEH

Published: February 7, 2005

M.I.A. was raised in Sri Lanka and lives in London, and she has established herself as one of hip-hop's most exciting new voices, rapping and chanting and sometimes singing over hard-thwacking electronic beats. Sounds exotic, right?

Yet the thrill of her hugely anticipated sold-out concert at the Knitting Factory on Saturday night wasn't the thrill of the new - it was the thrill of the familiar. M.I.A. has a keen ear for the various mutations of hip-hop that fill clubs on both sides of the Atlantic, and she scrambles these styles in a way that sounds both fresh and inevitable. Some new acts take a while to sink in, but M.I.A. makes sense from the first time you hear her.

And for 45 minutes on Saturday night, she made wildly entertaining sense, playfully calling out her playground-ready couplets ("Somewhere in the Amazon/They're holding me ransom"; "Pull up the people/Pull up the poor") while bouncing her slim limbs in time to the beat. Backed by Diplo, her D.J., she rode tracks new and old, bringing together old-fashioned electro and futuristic dancehall reggae, London grime and Atlanta crunk. Maybe that's why her music sounds somehow inevitable: because sooner or later, these like-minded genres were bound to find one another.

Late last year M.I.A. and Diplo released "Piracy Funds Terrorism Vol. 1," an excellent unlicensed mixtape that paired her vocals with a smartly curated set of beats, most of them from other people's songs. (That's why it's not available in stores.) The mixtape helped earn M.I.A. a fanatical cult of listeners, even though her debut album, "Arular" (XL), won't be released until Feb. 22.

It's great fun to watch M.I.A.'s cult expand, and it will only expand further once there's an actual album for people to buy. "Arular" has a loose, infectious energy, and it seems likely to appeal to the indie-rock fans who tend to ignore similarly adventurous beat-driven albums when they come from, say, dancehall reggae producers - indie bloggers didn't exactly flock to Stephen (Lenky) Marsden's sublime "Dreamweaver" compilation - or even foul-mouthed American rappers (Ms. Jade's ecstatic debut album, "Girl Interrupted," is currently languishing in a bargain bin near you).

Part of M.I.A.'s appeal is that she borrows from rough-and-tumble, slightly-out-of-control urban genres while leaving behind the parts that may make hip listeners feel uncomfortable: gunplay and crude sex jokes and drug-dealer boasts and all the rest of it. Not coincidentally, "Arular" is missing some of the rambunctious energy that gives those genres some of their power. Nothing about "Arular" feels at all out of control, and maybe that's the reason it sounds a bit slight: it's the work of a canny young performer who has learned to give her listeners nothing they don't want.

Still, M.I.A. has created a handful of devastatingly good singles, and she left no room for skepticism at the Knitting Factory. During her thunderous underground hit "Galang," the crowd sang along to the wordless refrain that comes near the end, bellowing as if it were some sort of mutated soccer chant. (Who knows? Perhaps it is.) And near the end came "Bucky Done Gun," which began with a clever bit of reverse psychology: she chanted, "Manhattan, quieten down, I need to make a sound! / Brooklyn, quieten down, I need to make a sound!" She didn't look surprised when, for the first time all night, no one followed her directions.

Wow, her music is fun. She is wickedly awesome and not to mention she is BEAUTIFUL!

she rode tracks new and old, bringing together old-fashioned electro and futuristic dancehall reggae, London grime and Atlanta crunk. Maybe that's why her music sounds somehow inevitable: because sooner or later, these like-minded genres were bound to find one another.

i really like that about her music. i think it's great.

metal-on-metal said:
English. Though I'm sure she mixes slang from her native language. Did you like it, faust?

I like it as far as something you'd play in a lounge, but I'm not sure if I'd listen to it closely. I'd have to rea the lyrics to make a final judement :flower: .

So, noone else got the "Purple Haze" reference? :unsure: :innocent:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pappagallo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->