Massimo Giorgetti, Creative Director of Emilio Pucci

poison84

Reaction score
PUCCI’S PICK?: Are Emilio Pucci’s colorful prints in the cards for Marco Zanini? According to market sources, the Italian designer, who left Schiaparelli in November, is headed to the Italian brand following what is generally expected to be Peter Dundas’ last collection for Pucci, to be shown in Milan on Feb. 28. No announcement has been made about Dundas’ future at Pucci, but sources speculate that the designer could be returning to Roberto Cavalli.

Zanini was tapped as creative director of Schiaparelli in September 2013. He previously designed ready-to-wear at Rochas, and also worked at Versace, Halston and Dolce & Gabbana. His design sensibility, his use of colors and patterns would be a good fit for Pucci, according to sources, who also noted that the fact that Zanini does not have a signature line and could be solely dedicated to the Florence-based brand are seen as added value. Reached by WWD, Zanini denied any contact with Pucci or a move to that brand. MSGM creative director Massimo Giorgetti has also been rumored as a top contender for the Pucci role.

Pucci could not be reached for comment.

source wwd

I don't know, Zanini is just too romantic for me to imagine him doing the typical Pucci style, but he could surprise us. I really like Dundas at Pucci, even though it can get redundant.

Also Zanini has been juggled around enough, poor guy.

So Zanini flopped at Schiaparelli and he'll probably flop at Pucci as well. Everytime I hear a designer getting a job that isn't Olivier Theyskens my heart breaks. :(

First of all, i'm kinda surprised about hearing that Pucci is looking for a new designer. I mean, Dundas collection were very strong and he introduced Pucci to a new generation.
Pucci wasn't as successful for years (even for decades).
Him returning at Cavalli? i don't know. He left the house 10 years ago, why returning?

Zanini at Pucci? Let's face it, he should have never left Rochas because i'm sure he can flop again.
And even if most people think that Pucci is a blank canvas (printed excluded), for the past 6 years, it has been a sexy brand.

I want Zanini at Balenciaga!

I'm surprised too, Dundas is perfect for Pucci, i don't really see Zanini working for Pucci, even if I really like him, they just don't really fit together for me...

Dundas has done a fine job at Pucci but the line has gotten rather stale. I almost always forget about it during fashion week.

I'm pretty excited about Zanini being at Pucci, he has a sense of humor and whimsy that would serve the brand well and give it a much needed angle. And those who forget, Zanini was a key part of the Versace team in the late '90s and designed the Atelier line before he left for Halston. I think it's a great fit.

Why is Zanini everywhere? He hasn't produced anything relevant in his entire career as a head designer at any house. Enough already.

Zanini is lucky, im sure they are better designers. Halston, Rochas, Schiaparelli , he failed to deliver there.
I give it 1-2 seasons max lol.

Dundas could work at very well at Cavalli. He would have been perfect at Gucci.
Gucci must be regretting not taking him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Everytime I hear a designer getting a job that isn't Olivier Theyskens my heart breaks. :(

I have a strong feeling Theyskens is still holding off and biding his time until a major shakeup happens... I'm thinking of a certain house with double C's as their main logo.

As for Dundas, he was great at Pucci but I feel like that house has yet to take off in a major way as a brand, mostly because they've completely avoided trying to push any accessories or fragrances that could take it to the next level. But Zanini doesn't have any real experience in that regard, so who knows what LVMH are thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm LOVING all these Italian houses punching the dated, soulless glitz-glam sexyness out and bringing modern, feminine sensibility in. :boxer:

Really hope this is true. Dundas has been doing the same collection for years now, time to go. Zanini is such a great designer, his era at Rochas was one of my favorite in recent memory, and i'm sure he could give Pucci a breath of fresh air.

Pucci is pure trash. Anything is better than what it is right now.

I'm LOVING all these Italian houses punching the dated, soulless glitz-glam sexyness out and bringing modern, feminine sensibility in. :boxer:

Really hope this is true. Dundas has been doing the same collection for years now, time to go. Zanini is such a great designer, his era at Rochas was one of my favorite in recent memory, and i'm sure he could give Pucci a breath of fresh air.

If WWD reports it I'd say it's 99% true.

I agree with your opinion on Zanini's Rochas, which was far more successful than Theysken's regardless if people don't think it was as good.

For those that say Zanini didn't deliver at his previous appointments I think you're being harsh. He left Halston because the management was a f***ing mess and Rachel Zoe is an idiot. His Rochas was a huge success, and god only knows why he left Schiaparelli. You people forget that it takes more than just a good designer to be successful, it also requires good management and I don't think Zanini has really had that except at Rochas.

I'm super exited he gets to work with an LVMH brand and get the support he's never really had before. I think the results could potentially be tremendous, to the same scale as Slimane's makeover of Saint Laurent (which I don't care for but it's put Saint Laurent at the top of the fashion food chain).

For all we know he left Schiaparelli in order to do Pucci.

And as for Dundas, Cavalli needs someone to replace Yvan Mispeleare who left to Celine.

Not liking all these merry go rounds. Just when the brand has got an identity it's gets replaced with another person who attempts to give it something completely different. A different angle or a whiff of fresh air isn't needed really, not in such short span of time anyways.
If a particular designer feels he has got something to say he should do it with his own line, and not use the brand as his mouthpiece.
Marras left and oc turned kenzo into a circus, ghesquiere left and wang turned Balenciaga into industrial chic.
Not that the latter designers are necessarily bad, it is just adding confusion.
From a commercial standpoint this probably is good since it creates short term buzz, but not from a creativity point of view.
And for that matter, I think dundas did a great job at Pucci and should stay to continue honing the dna of the brand, changing it bit by bit overtime, not an overhaul like a new designer will turn it into.

Sources in Milan have told Style.com that, as has been rumored for months, tonight’s Emilio Pucci show will be Peter Dundas’ last for the brand. Dundas stepped into the role of creative director in 2009, taking the helm from Matthew Williamson and bringing new life and relevance to the label. His groovy yet romantic aesthetic was paired with plenty of sex appeal, making his designs a favorite of the daring among the fashion set—both Poppy Delevingne and Anja Rubik opted for dresses from the house for their weddings.

Reasons for the split have yet to fully emerge. A successor is expected to be announced soon. Ex-Schiaparelli designer Marco Zanini has been among those rumored to be in contention. According to our sources, Pucci has been in active discussions with Massimo Giorgetti of MSGM. That would suggest the company wants to move in a younger, less sexually provocative direction, which would be in keeping with a hiring trend we’re seeing at other houses. A rep for Pucci declined to comment.
style

Dundas exit confirmed during the show.

And in a few years "modern femininity" will be out and they'll all be replacing their designers again.

Quite honestly I can't really imagine anyone else at Pucci because Dundas really did an incredible job of redefining what the house was about. I kind of took for granted just how much work he did to take the history of Pucci and build upon it to make it a fully formed brand that was known for more than printed silks. He made it all seem pretty damn effortless.

Mutterlein does bring up a good point about Zanini's background at Versace though. Combine that background with the quirky extravagance he delivered at Schiaparelli and it could possibly work.

All in all though I really don't think this homogenizing effect going on in fashion lately. If in fact Pucci is seeking to bring in a new designer to do something along the lines of what's being done at Gucci then that's just sad.

Well, if you're looking for everything to look the same, then I suppose this is great news!

Not that I was ever even a big fan of Dundas' work at Pucci. But to his credit he did create a pretty definite and instantly recognizable aesthetic to Pucci that, as Spike413 has mentioned, was way more than just the prints.

Literally the last thing we need in fashion is another "designer" making collections of sweetly feminine or androgynous, "intellectual," artsy, introverted clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fejis
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->