Emilio Pucci Resort 2010

khyrk

Oh Yeah!
Reaction score
Pucci’s creative director, Peter Dundas was inspired by the sea, sailors and the sun for cruise.

No images yet

wwd

pucci06.jpg
pucci05.jpg
pucci04.jpg
pucci03.jpg
pucci02.jpg
pucci01.jpg

wwd

somewhere in this world, the staff at the house of emilio pucci shovels any and everything that looked like the old pucci into a bargain bin on the street because this stuff looks SO different that it's hard for me to see how this incorporates into the old vibrant printed pucci at all.

with that said, i do absolutely LOVE it insomuch as it reminds me of another house i'm also besotted with doing this eighties girl as well....where else have we seen skinny white jeans with drapey t-shirts and strong shouldered jackets....:innocent:

Maybe, but the question is, would people actually want a very literal re-working of archive Pucci prints as the previous designers have been doing prior to Peter Dundas? That house has been struggling for a long time now, even under the radar of a conglomerate as LVMH is. Looking into the window of the Pucci store in Paris' avenue Montaigne to me was not much different than taking a glance into the nearby Courreges boutique... a look back into the 60ies, but the question is, to whom does that style still matter today?

Regarding the comparison to Balmain - Peter Dundas' style probably isn't too far away from Decarnin's taste, as would be Julian Macdonald's (people have been ditching his work at Givenchy for good reason, but it would be unfair to call both him and Dundas copyists of Decarnin's style, they actually did it before him) ... I actually don't even see any pagode shoulderpads in these few looks here to make up a profound comparison to Balmain.

Maybe, but the question is, would people actually want a very literal re-working of archive Pucci prints as the previous designers have been doing prior to Peter Dundas? That house has been struggling for a long time now, even under the radar of a conglomerate as LVMH is. Looking into the window of the Pucci store in Paris' avenue Montaigne to me was not much different than taking a glance into the nearby Courreges boutique... a look back into the 60ies, but the question is, to whom does that style still matter today?

although this trend has waned in the past couple of years, the woman -- and i daresay man -- who wants to go on beach holiday with bright printed bikinis, towels, scarves, coverups, and umbrellas has not disappeared at all. like i said, i like this update of the house, but i'm just confused how he so audaciously leave behind the very genesis of the house. i mean, the house started with skiwear and moved into beachwear, but we've seen none of that yet.

Regarding the comparison to Balmain - Peter Dundas' style probably isn't too far away from Decarnin's taste, as would be Julian Macdonald's (people have been ditching his work at Givenchy for good reason, but it would be unfair to call both him and Dundas copyists of Decarnin's style, they actually did it before him) ... I actually don't even see any pagode shoulderpads in these few looks here to make up a profound comparison to Balmain.

maybe i missed it, but i don't see where dundas really did the big-shouldered blazer, skinny pant look before the balmania phenomenon. sparkly eighties dresses? definitely. gowns with splits up to there? absolutely. but the big shoulder blazer, skinny jean, strappy sandal look? not really dundas thing at ungaro....maybe i missed it? i'm not sure macdonald's relevance to this thread.

bigger ones

Peter Dundas's debut Fall 2009 collection at Pucci was generally well-received — Carine Roitfeld and Lily Cole both ended up wearing dresses from the collection on the Cannes Film Festival red carpet — and notably took the house beyond its print heritage; the Cruise 2010 collection looks to do the same. Dundas said he was inspired by the sea, sailors, and the sun; Perhaps we owe the influence to a recent scuba diving excursion? Dundas told Style.com that his motto is: "I dive where I go on holiday, and I go on holiday where I can dive," and that "diving definitely makes me look at color differently."

pucci01-1.jpg
pucci02-1.jpg
pucci03-1.jpg
pucci04-1.jpg
pucci05-1.jpg
pucci06-1.jpg

fashionologie

Those shoes could not have been more gorgeous.

This is how a modern Cavalli, let's say, is supposed to look like to gain some respect around here. Yes, very little Pucci, but thank God. Very few want to see the same prints again and again, besides, these look brand new when the newest Pucci-print clothes all look vintage by their given nature.

It is a safe presentation, but I love every single look here. That last dress has the most gorgeous print generously traveling through the skirt, but I with the whole dress was made of that fabric, or at least the waist was a little lower.

^yes. they even have flats for it aside from the ones with heels

Dundas seems to be doing a great job here really reworking the brand and bringing it into the 21st century. I still see Pucci in the color palette and prints. I don't see where people are saying that he's leaving behind the brands heritage. His last collection featured archival prints. Just because he didn't do the same 60s reworking of prints that the designers prior to him were doing doesn't mean he's abandoning the house. Those prints may have been the genius of the house back then but why not expand the brand into something else while still being respectful of the brands heritage.

this is really reminds me of balmain

i couldn't disagree more with the rest of your comment, but those shoes are sort of amazing....:crush:

God, a sudden love for the tired prints of Pucci... where were you guys when all Pucci collections were getting panned left and right for looking like moth cakes and chicken soup. Or when none of those clothes were selling. Pucci can and probably should re-introduce their prints like how Burberry is using its tired plaids or whatever they are supposed to be called: as a regular product line for accessories etc. no matter what the season is.

For a runway collection, these are fine, plus, Pucci is so much more than just prints. The lightness and fluidness of the genuine Pucci clothes should be an example to all designers, and I think that aspect of the brand is ready to be explored rather than its prints over and over again.

God, a sudden love for the tired prints of Pucci...

i personally never stopped loving the original pucci prints. i'm not one of those who found the work of matthew williamson a complete failure for the house. he did re-ignite some of the excitement for the house -- not like lacroix, but we're not going to go there. we actually saw people buying new pucci again and not just raiding vintage shops for the old stuff. unfortunately, i just think he lost sight of doing good pucci instead of doing good matthew williamson. simply substituting a pucci print for one of his own on one of his dresses does not a pucci collection make.

i'm willing to give dundas a chance -- mainly because i'm one of those people who love this re-surgence of the eighties girl coming from balmain, marc jacobs, et al -- but i just hope he finds a way to get us interested in the house of pucci again and not just make this the peter dundas show. he did a great job getting us interested in ungaro again -- let's see if he can do it again somewhere else.

Its always good to refer back to the original aesthetic of the house and use its archives to remind people what made the House so beautiful in the first place, but Williamson was completely taking the piss out of it. He was still making the same prints and everything. I like that Dundas is adapting the label to the future instead of repeating the same prints over and over again.

the full collection's up on style.com

Emilio Pucci

NEW YORK, June 30, 2009
By Nicole Phelps

Peter Dundas' mission for Resort was twofold—to take the Emilio Pucci girl to the seaside and to firm up the new image that he began establishing at the house for Fall. The second goal informed the first: Even the beachiest of looks—rolled-hem shorts and an eagle-print T-shirt, say, or a floor-skimming cotton jersey tank dress—had a graphic, sexy, rock chick sensibility that meant they wouldn't be out of place on the city streets. Dundas continued to play with the zigzag print that he borrowed from the founder's 1957 Palio collection, but he also added one of his own to the mix: a shell pattern that managed to evoke palm fronds on a button-down blouse paired with high-waisted, pleated pants. Applied to the layered chiffon skirts of a bandage-bodice gown, that same pattern started to resemble the provocative work of H.R. Giger. Dundas has the house heritage and the attitude thing down cold—not bad at all for his second outing at the helm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoahGarnet
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->