Outfit look-alikes #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with NG is that he didn´t admit he copied from Kaisik Wong when he launched that 2002 collection. He admitted it when he was caught red-handed. He tried to pass Wong´s designs as his own.

Before that Kaisik affair, designers didn't have to justify themselves on their inspirations or vintage clothes they copied.
NG was the hottest new designer AND, it was the beginning of the incursion of the internet in the fashion industry.

Everything is a matter of context as Dior_Couture said.

Today, copy is not so much of an issue (look at Zuhair Murad career). The Balmain/McQueen for Givenchy happened because it didn't felt like it was done with conviction.
Peter Dundas's first Cavalli collection was almost 70% copied from Azzedine Alaia 80's work and the only person who had an issue with that was Azzedine himself who talked about it in a french magazine.

NG copied the top but that top was also a starting point for a dress, a vest and it did influence several pieces in the collection.
For his first Vuitton collection, he copied a look styled in a magazine but that look make sense in the context of the entire collection.

Maybe i'm more lax about it in certain cases.

Before that Kaisik affair, designers didn't have to justify themselves on their inspirations or vintage clothes they copied.
NG was the hottest new designer AND, it was the beginning of the incursion of the internet in the fashion industry.

Everything is a matter of context as Dior_Couture said.

Today, copy is not so much of an issue (look at Zuhair Murad career). The Balmain/McQueen for Givenchy happened because it didn't felt like it was done with conviction.
Peter Dundas's first Cavalli collection was almost 70% copied from Azzedine Alaia 80's work and the only person who had an issue with that was Azzedine himself who talked about it in a french magazine.

NG copied the top but that top was also a starting point for a dress, a vest and it did influence several pieces in the collection.
For his first Vuitton collection, he copied a look styled in a magazine but that look make sense in the context of the entire collection.

Maybe i'm more lax about it in certain cases.

It´s not a question of justification, it is just being honest. He thought Wong was an anonymous designer...but it just turned out that his work wasn´t so obscure as expected...so Nicolas got caught.

In the internet pre-era this kind of things were more difficult to expose. As you said, this happened just when it was the beginning of the incursion of the internet in the fashion industry. Internet helped the work of Kaisik Wong being recognized and credited properly.

I find extremely sad that copy is not so much of an issue nowadays. I think the current state of the fashion industry shows this problem.
And yes, I know in the past designers also copied...but it is so blatantly obvious today! They don´t even care to change a single button, with some "designers"!

Being inspired by a vintage garment doesn´t mean having to make exactly that garment! That´s lazy!

Last edited by a moderator:
It is nice if they credit the past
Where they take or what exactly they alter.
In runway reviews it adds interest or depth to the show
I have seen things unexplained, which is regrettable... a great artist, great work of art etc

I mean also a part of the show's concept then unexplained ^:Pink:

It is nice if they credit the past
Where they take or what exactly they alter.
In runway reviews it adds interest or depth to the show
I have seen things unexplained, which is regrettable... a great artist, great work of art etc

So true! It´s the honest way to do it; and it also adds to the concept explanation of a collection.

IDK F/W 13.14 vs. Yohji Yamamoto F/W 98.99

06a9e3b9f93c9f88325cb59d4d8785d6.jpg

Sources: pinterest & l'armoireessentielle.blogspot

Last edited by a moderator:
Manolo Blahnik Hangisi Satin Crystal-Toe pumps vs GUCCI Dionysus embellished satin pumps
NMX2GZ3_mu.jpg

714158_fr_pp.jpg

neimanmarcus, net-a-porter

I do wonder just how much they collage parts from already existing pieces- and how much is original

^ I'm almost certain that that actually is the Gucci dress, which could have been borrowed by the stylist for the campaign.

As far as I know the brand doesn't make much clothing aside from some leather/street pieces.

Spike is right - many brands use other (especially more prestigious) brands in their advertisements and lookbooks. it can have a halo effect on their brand.

i remember Target pairing some fiorentini and baker boots with their clothing items in a lookbook years ago.

One brand that does this in practically every campaign and lookbook and instore-magazine is H&M. it confuses the consumer because H&M may sell in the same category.

Hmmm ... I had no idea that some stores did this. But, it makes sense to me, because I know that in makeup ad campaigns, the makeup artists often use their own brand of makeup on the models ... not the client's brand. This mainly because there is a distinct difference between over the counter makeup (even the high end brands) and professional makeup. So ... it seems that they might do that in other areas too ... for, as Lucy said, a halo effect.

they usually do this, but will edit some of the design elements in post-production so that it isnt noticeably obvious. I think there are legal issues if a brand uses another brand

they usually do this, but will edit some of the design elements in post-production so that it isnt noticeably obvious. I think there are legal issues if a brand uses another brand

it could be more of a legal issue if it is a current season item.
magazine editors can always just call the item "stylists own" in advertorials. they may consider it journalistic license.

^^^ He really is just nothing more than the 2016 version of Christian Francis Roth, isn't he...? So basic and one-note.

The Jil Sander vs. Loewe comparision has already been posted. I'm 90% sure.

Spike is right - many brands use other (especially more prestigious) brands in their advertisements and lookbooks. it can have a halo effect on their brand.

i remember Target pairing some fiorentini and baker boots with their clothing items in a lookbook years ago.

One brand that does this in practically every campaign and lookbook and instore-magazine is H&M. it confuses the consumer because H&M may sell in the same category.

HM is really unscrupulous isnt it?
i mean, if Giuzeppe Zanoti uses a piece of clothing, I can understand since they dont produce clothes, but for HM to use some high end fashion houses" stuff and trying to pass off as their own is downright low and lacking in integrity.

Not sure if the pant fold is common (I've seen some asymmetrical pants but not necessarily with this pattern), but I think it belongs in the look-alike thread nonetheless.

Calvin Klein Collection F/W '97 | Balenciaga F/W '14

CALVIN_KLEIN_FALL_1997_RTW_39_ANGELA_LINDVALL_CN.jpg
ON_0943_1366x2048.jpg

vogue.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->