• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Paris shopping

^no prob. I'll post the sales dates when its released.

PARIS WINTER SALES 2009 will start on Wednesday January 7th 2009!!

Thanks
so much Aby
:heart::D

Which one is the biggest Isabel Marant
boutique?

Hi guys forgive me for steering off tracks.

I'm coming to Paris around 26 Jan 2009. I need some advise on shopping for GUYS, yes menswear only please, but unisex is possible too, I'm all for androgyny!

Do you know...

1) "stock" or discounts shops with familiar labels
2) vintage clothing at affordable prices (any particular area? I heard Le Marais has some great vintage menswear shops)
3) second hand clothing, with acceptable quality of course.

Isn't the list above obviously showing that I'm a poor old student? HAHAHA!

Your help is very much appreciated!

There are great vintage shops in the Marais. I know there are at least three vintage stores on rue de la Verrerie (my street!) and they all have menswear to my recollection. There's a lot of others around this area too. There's usually no distinction between 'vintage' and 'second-hand' except in high end vintage and resale stores like Didier Ludot, etc. It's often hard to tell the difference anyway. Look for the word 'fripes' on store windows, it means used/vintage clothes, although sometimes they use the word vintage.

Marais is a great area to visit apart from that- definately visit Place des Vosges, which is a lovely park. If you are interested there is also a great museum on the history of Paris, Musee Carnavalet which is free, it's all in French but you would still get the gist I think. There's also a department store called BHV which is considered sort of second-tier for fashion because it is generally cheaper than the other Grand Magasins, but it has four or five floors of menswear/accessories and had really great reductions during the latest sales.

One thing I've noticed is that a lot of guide books recommend the Forum des Halles, a shopping mall in the Les Halles area. I have no idea why this is, it's awful so don't go there :smile:

ETA: I just re-read your post and realised that you were going to be in Paris in Jan! But maybe it might be helpful to someone else. Hope you had a great time.

^yeah, it's quite good even for Parisians!

Thanks ckashie for the elaborate explanation!

I went to Le Marais (Rue Du Tourenne specifically), and all I see was expensive menswear shops for my poor weeping wallet! But when I walked around alittle bit more I found 'La Piscine' at rue Des Frans-Bourgeois, which sells great designer labels (read Margiela, Les Hommes, Vivienne Westwood, Galliano, n.d.c etc) at highly discounted price!

I even bought a Margiela t-shirt at 15 euros aonly! Can you believe how cheap that was?

I definitely will come to PAris, with your guys' guide in mind.

Thanks to all!

Last edited by a moderator:
What! I'm writing that place down for sure. And yes, that Lucky guide is definitely worth checking out.

I could try to tomorrow, if somebody doesn't beforehand! Let us know if you get any good finds. :wink:

Thanks ckashie for the elaborate explanation!

I went to Le Marais (Rue Du Tourenne specifically), and all I see was expensive menswear shops for my poor weeping wallet! But when I walked around alittle bit more I found 'La Piscine' at rue Des Frans-Bourgeois, which sells great designer labels (read Margiela, Les Hommes, Vivienne Westwood, Galliano, n.d.c etc) at highly discounted price!

I even bought a Margiela t-shirt at 15 euros aonly! Can you believe how cheap that was?

I definitely will come to PAris, with your guys' guide in mind.

Thanks to all!

Wow this sounds good, is it all menswear? I'm going to Paris next week, and would like to know the best places to buy reasonably priced vintage.

I haven't had time to go through all the thread, not yet till, but I'll do. In the meantime I have a question

I will be in paris for a week in August with my mom. Can anyone recommend a nice&cheap accessories shop (earrings, bracelets, necklaces and such). I'm looking for something stylish and original, no gold/silver and such, more on the 'ethnic' side

Also where do you shop in Paris besides the designer's stores? I like both stylish/elegant classy stuff and ethnic/gypsy style. Also any recommendation for plus sizes in Paris? I'm a UK size 14/ US size 12

i have just returned from paris..
its the most beautiful place ever..i am in love with paris and the people there.
and now i am a pro at finding my ways around the city with the map..
can anybody tell me if the st ouen flee market
is worth visiting.

but i face this big difficulty in finding vegetarian food.i almost starve
i have to survive on pizza marghrita on most of my trips.

I haven't had time to go through all the thread, not yet till, but I'll do. In the meantime I have a question

I will be in paris for a week in August with my mom. Can anyone recommend a nice&cheap accessories shop (earrings, bracelets, necklaces and such). I'm looking for something stylish and original, no gold/silver and such, more on the 'ethnic' side

Also where do you shop in Paris besides the designer's stores? I like both stylish/elegant classy stuff and ethnic/gypsy style. Also any recommendation for plus sizes in Paris? I'm a UK size 14/ US size 12

For non-designer stores, go through this thread when you've got some time to kill as it's been covered at length a few times and there's so much information here or there you can just copy things into a Word document or something as you go :smile: And it's useful for anyone to know that clothes in France almost always run small compared to US/UK/AU sizing.

There seems to be a lot of ethnic/gypsy things around right now (long skirts, suede, fringing, caftan-style tops and dresses) so for you sounds like a good time to go!

You can find lots of jewellery shops (more than any other area I find) in the Marais, there's a well-priced one with lots of choice on rue des Francs-Bourgeois just before you hit Place des Vosges called Monic. There's lots of vintage stores around that area with all sorts of jewellery too.

^ Iphygenia, Suzy Gershman's Born to Shop Paris recommends the following outlets (she wears 46 or 48, American 14/16:(

• Lilith/Free, 66 rue Parmentier, 10e (Metro: Goncourt) "The clothes are often made with lots of fabric that floats or flits, the colors are soft, and the style is droopy. There are many no-waist or elastic-waist styles of which I am fond ..."
  • MaxMara/Rama, 7 rue Bisconnet, 12e (Metro:Bastille) They have Elena Miro and Marina Rinaldi (plus size brands).
  • Scalp, 102 rue St-Charles, 15e (Metro: Charles-Michel) "This line isn't enormously trendy, but it fits larger-size women, with clothes up to size 52." (This is Weill's secondary line)
  • Vidna, 9 rue St-Placide, 6e (Metro: Sevres-Babylone) "Stock shop for the brand Nitya, a chic line ... The look is slightly ethnic ... easy for all figures to wear. Don't go by the sizes; try everything on. I'm a 42 here (sometimes) ..."
She recommends the following brands: Weill, Elena Miro, Marina Rinaldi, Weinberg, and Yohji (at Galeries Lafayette).

Griffe de Mode sometimes has Marina Rinaldi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->