black6.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 27
  • black7.jpg
    black7.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 38
  • black8.jpg
    black8.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 29
Thanks Buckwheat and skeeterbe for sharing the info and pictures. Damn I am now convinced that Raf Simons is the coolest man in fashion.

I really respect him for putting the kaffiyeh on his models. It's a very politically courageous and possibly controversial gesture - he has a social conscience and not afraid to show it. My esteem for him went up considerably after that collection.

there's this jacket, size 50, i'm guessing, displayed in the window of tokio 7. it's too big for me. any takers? it's yummy and for it's price, it's yummy yummy.

http://www.firstview.com/MENspring2000/RAF_SIMONS/P084.html

RSSS00.jpg

edit: buckwheat, thanks for the pics, it reminded me of flipping through these magazines in hk and singapore. and oopps, i'm out of topic, this jacket is spring 2000. :P

Last edited by a moderator:
Fade to Black said:
Thanks Buckwheat and skeeterbe for sharing the info and pictures. Damn I am now convinced that Raf Simons is the coolest man in fashion.

uh huh, so cool, there's blasphemy on the other thread.
:angry:

Just found this - and it made me chuckle! Imagine how things might have looked today if this had happened for real :lol:

Thought I'd post it here - guess it has some historical value (but also because Suzy does a good job at summarizing his career and earlier collections! And he does cut the best trousers!)

[from www.iht.com]

Raf Simons: A Versace Possible?
By Suzy Menkes International Herald Tribune

Six months after the killing of Gianni Versace, his sister Donatella has approached Raf Simons, 29, a hip Belgian menswear designer who is one of fashion's rising stars.

According to sources in Belgium, a deal for Simons to contribute his edgy tailoring to the Versace design studio could be struck by the end of the month, after the designer presents his menswear show in Paris on Jan. 23. But a spokesman for Versace said that such speculation was unfounded.

Contacted at his Antwerp studio on Monday, Simons said that discussing an appointment was premature, that the idea of working with Versace "interested him a lot," but that it was too early to say when and if plans would be concretized or even which of the several Versace menswear lines was under discussion.

Although Simons's provocative look, with sly references to punk and to classic English schoolboy uniforms, might seem too downtown for the glam-rock Versace label, it could be a smart move to tap a designer who would reflect the style of a coming generation.

Simons is also a sensitive and sophisticated tailor who cuts "the perfect modern pants," according to the designer boutique-owner Maria Luisa Poumaillou, whose new Paris men's store will focus on his line.

The Belgian designer is not one of Antwerp's fashion college graduates who have become a design force in the 1990s. He studied industrial design and graduated in furniture, which brought him into contact with Belgian fashion's Walter Van Bierendonck.

Simons, who says he has "a lot of respect for traditional clothing," approached a revered Antwerp tailor and learned from him how to cut a silhouette close to a slight boyish frame, rather than to the bold, muscly body shape more typical of 1980s menswear, when Versace made a broad-shouldered impact.

Starting in a small way three years ago, Simons set up and financed his own company, which he says he wants to keep whatever the outcome of negotiations in Italy.

"The most important thing for me is that I keep the possibility to do my own thing as it is at the moment," Simons said. "It is also important for me that there is a certain kind of luxury in the technical things."

Versace's current menswear is produced by Donatella Versace and her husband, Paul Beck, working with a team of designers.

A source in Antwerp suggests that Simons and fellow Belgian women's wear designer Veronique Branquinho could have been approached jointly, but there seems no evidence for this.

I love this thread - great to read some history and see some beautiful pictures from the older collections. Thanks Buckwheat & skeeterbe.

Raf Simons for Versace!? Hmm now that's a thought.. :lol:

Avantster said:
I love this thread - great to read some history and see some beautiful pictures from the older collections. Thanks Buckwheat & skeeterbe.

Raf Simons for Versace!? Hmm now that's a thought.. :lol:

enough said! totally agree:D:flower:.

new_dawn_fades said:
enough said! totally agree:D:flower:.

I think they wanted Raf to design the Versus menswear, which at the time was considered a bit "punky & edgy", at least by Donatella herself...

If any of you think you can pull this piece off (I know I can't) - this is a signature Raf collector's item. Just wear it with a long sleeve black tee, and it'll look fantastic.

http://www.yoox.com/item/tskay//rr/1/cod10/410281761B/areaid/36/st/N/RAF+SIMONS/Full-length+jackets

410281761B_2.jpg

I guess this is the proper thread...

Raf has redesigned his website and, well, it's pretty fantastic. I haven't had a chance to browse it all, but most importantly, it looks like he's added videos from every collection! They're in quicktime or windows media player format. I wasn't able to get them to load in Firefox, but the 95/96 one played in Internet Explorer. There is also additional information about projects such as his book and an updated list of stores that stock his line.

Summa cum laude Collection Spring/Summer 2000

Both inspired by MENSA students and the kids of gabba (a youth movement from Holland and Belgium, most recognisable by its speeded-up techno music); featuring bomber jackets, kaleidoscopic prints and white leather.
Fashion show at film studios 'Studio Carrère' in Paris.

photo credit: © Els Voorspoels ; Videostills

looking some old videotapes. i just saw this collection like 30min. ago....
it was very good....
I looove Raf!:heart:

and thanks to skeeterbe for all the images you posted
same to Buckwheat, thanks for all the oldies.....

i am shocked, a bit.. i really like raf. but the pics from spring/summer 2000..
omg..:(

^what did shock you? the look of models? or the silhouette? the gabber part is to replace in its context (though i'm sure it could look very cool today) and for the elitists students that become a marginal community almost all the silhouettes have been done again in his future collections and were seen on different catwalks....
for instance he recently did the goemetric tshirts again....

The show I like best was the one where models coming down from the escalator!! I mean it was the sheer silence and only noise U hear is the clicking of the camera just set an eery feeling to the whole setting!!

:heart:

i am sorry. i wanted to say, that I does not like the silhouette! sorry for being imprecise.
but in general i really adore raf!! :smile:

Raf Simons: History Of My World

Raf Simons: History Of My World

HISTORY OF MY WORLD is an exclusive corner in collaboration with Raf Simons, starting 28th May and for a limited time only featuring a carefully hand picked selection of forty-five unique, very rare and even unseen show pieces directly from Raf Simons archive, approaching the idea of fashion as a matter of expression and in a way that resembles art in any possible shape and form, expressing the philosophy and transmitting the fundamental values of creation in the history of the Raf Simons world.

The selection begins chronologically from the very first collection back in 1995 were Raf Simons the label was launched, with highlights from collections such us Autumn / Winter 1998 “Radioactivity”, Autumn / Winter 1999 “Disorder, Incubation, Isolation, Spring / Summer 2005 “History of the World” until Autumn / Winter 2011 “Houtje Touwtje”.

source www.number3store.com

Attachments

• RAF_SIMONS_Press_Photo_A-low.JPG
    RAF_SIMONS_Press_Photo_A-low.JPG
    433.7 KB · Views: 16
  • raf-simons-sleevless-coat.jpg
    raf-simons-sleevless-coat.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 20

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members