Raf Simons Joins Prada as Co-Creative Director

^ I am not suprised at all. Raf team is most and foremost Rizzo and Vandeperre.

And when your contract is made to be forever, you don't hesitate to sacrifice some minions. Mullier will not be missed. As some said, Raf is just filling Pavesi's position with an extra.

Wow so much Raf haters and cynicism here.

This is the perfect opportunity to touch on something that irks me a bit. Is it a recent trend of the past few years? Is it due to social media? I'm not sure. What I am sure is that any sort of valid, thoughtful criticism or argument no matter how well grounded in reality it is, is branded as "hating" and the person who expresses it as a "hater". Don't know what kind of circumstances lead to this juvenile line of thinking, where anyone voicing a negative criticism is immediately reduced to that, but this just gets us nowhere and it only enhances a kind of toxic, sheep mentality. Everything must always be "amazing!" and a whole generation is going to be raised not being able to handle any sort of constructive feedback.

Not sure anyone here on tFS actually "hates" Raf. They just see things for what they are: his two previous tenures at other brands were by all accounts disastrous, people are rightfully apprehensive about this news.

Both of them approach fashion and design in the same way: with lots of pretentiousness on thoughts, philosophy and whatsnot

I see this argument coming up often in this thread and I dare to object.

Francesco Risso's work at Marni is based on pretentiousness and fake intellectualism, to cover up his poor design skills.

Please let's not put Miuccia Prada and Raf Simons on the same league, they don't deserve this.
Let's just give them a chance.

This is the perfect opportunity to touch on something that irks me a bit. Is it a recent trend of the past few years? Is it due to social media? I'm not sure. What I am sure is that any sort of valid, thoughtful criticism or argument no matter how well grounded in reality it is, is branded as "hating" and the person who expresses it as a "hater". Don't know what kind of circumstances lead to this juvenile line of thinking, where anyone voicing a negative criticism is immediately reduced to that, but this just gets us nowhere and it only enhances a kind of toxic, sheep mentality. Everything must always be "amazing!" and a whole generation is going to be raised not being able to handle any sort of constructive feedback.

Not sure anyone here on tFS actually "hates" Raf. They just see things for what they are: his two previous tenures at other brands were by all accounts disastrous, people are rightfully apprehensive about this news.

THANK YOU. Very well put.

Tonne Goodman on fashion photography right now, which imo applies to Prada in a way:

It became more aloof and there’s a disconnect. I think it’s probably a form of protection from everything. This is a very personal point of view and it’s probably not a very popular one, but I do feel that when you are threatened and when you're worried and when you are concerned about a general situation, which is what we are involved in now it's reflected in the kind of distance to protect yourself and the ones you care for. I think it trickles down and maybe that’s why you see a disconnect.

I actually agree with you on the hater thing, perhaps that was too bluntly worded. However, I thought both dior and ck had it’s qualities. The problem with Raf in my opinion is, the team he surrounds himself with - especially in marketing and advertising. what gives me hope and excitement for this venture is that when he collaborates it usually is excellent. The sterling ruby stuff was great for example.

I think Prada can use some shocks. It’s very sleepy. This whole venture won’t solve the biggest issue: pricing.

With all his legacy and the obvious cult around his designs you would think Raf to start his own label for long but I just think he is not the type, likes short-term collaborations.

Can't wait to see what he has for us this time.

*About Calvin Klein, I might be among the few but I really liked the collections he did there (esp SS18) but sure for a true CK fan this might have felt like a nightmare.

With all his legacy and the obvious cult around his designs you would think Raf to start his own label for long but I just think he is not the type, likes short-term collaborations.

You mean womenswear brand? Because his own brand is very much still going.

Can't wait to see what he has for us this time.

*About Calvin Klein, I might be among the few but I really liked the collections he did there (esp SS18) but sure for a true CK fan this might have felt like a nightmare.

I feel like not having a womenswear, much like not having a big retail presence (his business is like 99% wholesale) allows him to be free. One day, if he wants to stop he can and it won’t be a weight.
Womenswear is expensive, time consuming and has more pressure. And it’s more comforting to do it in a structure with everything setup and largely big budget to achieve what he wants...

His work for JS was so different from his work for Dior that itself was the opposite of what he did for CK that I think it would be difficult for him to have a loyal clientele. You need a sense of consistency...

Raf is laughing all the way to the bank. Cant wait for Calvin 2.0

Today’s menswear showcase in Milan was Miuccia’s last solo outing as creative director:

If only it was for a job interview...at least Prada would recover its sense of humor, it's very dull right now.

If only it was for a job interview...at least Prada would recover its sense of humor, it's very dull right now.
Now that his brand is doing better, maybe he should talk to Arnault. If Karl managed to deal with the Weirthemers and the Arnault, Marc can totally do it…

One thing is sure, Marc is less pretentious in his approach to Art and culture. And we all know that playing with Prada’s archives is his biggest dream…

Marc was at the Prada HQ today.
He is such a pick me lmao. He gets on my nerves a little but it might be fun to see him designing there. He could get rid of the sterile philosophical eyeroll art seriousness or whatever. I kinda miss seeing his fun collections at LV :(

Ok now thinking about it why tf did they choose Raf over Marc... fatal error

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->