Singapore designers

^ Hmm true, but I guess asian designers can make a big name for themselves too cos we have our own distinct culture and history, regardless of having seasons or not.

ahh the contest? It was a female designer that won, isnt it? im not very sure, i stayed backstage all the time, it was the last segment of the whole event..

There have been 2 fashion shows in Singapore in the last month. Singapore Fashion Week and then Singapore Asia Fashion Week. The first was held at the Old Paliament building the second held at Expo. In all some 50 designers were photographed however not all were from Singapore. All can be seen on www.amatas.com I will be breaking down the designer index to indicate the countries where the designers come from shortly. At the moment I am working on the collections of 80 designers that were present at the Kuala Lumpur Asia Fashion Week 2005 that finished on Sunday. Some also from Singapore. I have something like 12000 photos and hopefully i will have these edited and up on the www.amatas.com site by the end of this week. I would be happy if people would like to comment on these collections. I should also say look out for the Melinda Looi collection in particular.

KArl... I think you got everything mixed up.. I am not referring to their breaking ground.. nor location where they got famous and known. I am referrring to impact made to the period of fashion.. Anyway... i really appreciate you for being 'into' this topic.

it be great if you could upload selected fashion pic and we can discuss about it

27.jpg

Singaporean high fashion designers would probably have it alot harder than if they were starting out in a fashion capital (such as new york, milan, paris...). the mindset of the society just isn't very keen on high fashion for one, much less venture into the experimentalism of it all (spending copious amounts on ugly expensive handbangs that scream the label is common - as a status symbol).

in a way, s'pore's local fashion scene is very much like that of other asian regions - even japan where alot of the major fashion cities draw their inspirations from - the general fashion stance is that of street cred or fashion as a status symbol.

with the exchange rate, geographical location and weather conditions, i guess the people there just don't find it a necessity to buy quality clothes over quantity.

and yes, andrew gn is singaporean. isn't he also an alumnus of parsons new york?

a few other designers i know of:

- baylene
- the man behind 'white line' and 'a line'. i think his name is andrew something. occasional design hits but mostly produces for the general public for functional wear. mass market's where the money's at.
- and our dear mrs christina ong owns most of the giorgio armani empire.

isn't FTV being launched in singapore?... once that kicks off, interest will definitely rise as the public will be receiving exposure. so fingers quadrupled cross for the birth of more fashion whores.

btw, bazaar singapore is an absolute joke if anyone thought vogue us was bad.

just my 2cents

hmmm....well said.. u have given a thought to several factors. Anyway mrs ong dont own GA, only AX....

i really like those designers pics posted by franuan.. very nice BUT if those pictures do not come from your personal archive, we will need some credits franuan.
Let me know and i will be happy to add the credits :flower:

Its from my personal archive. Thank you for appreciating those pics posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->