Singapore designers

Of course there are tons of Singaporean designers out there.

It's just that they are quite low profile.

But i think they're doing better overseas.

Are you Singaporean??

ya..i am a singaporean.. Are you? Well...i seek to create awareness for local talent here...

I'm from Singapore too. But I don't find any local brands to be of special interest.
Any you have to recommend?

well..fashion is a small market here.. Even if there is good designer, its hard to survive here, let alone designer doing menswear... I feel that there is a need to edcuate consumers the aspect of dressing and creating a self identity.. I wont dare to comment any brand as none has really impress or leave me in good sight.

Song + Kelly 21. They're a famous clothing in Singapore, innit?

i guess song+kelly's alright. they're practical, wearable and comfortable 'in sense of aesthetics' for most people. not offensive, but doesn't say very much either...

I guess in a way, Singaporean designers have to be safe so that they can sell.
In a small competitve market like Singapore, they have to be more mainstream to stay in the black.

There are a few interesting designers out there...I personally quite like the brand Wood & Woods.

Andrew Gn is Singaporean too, if I recall correctly. :wink:

There are hundreds of photos from about 50 designer collections taken at Singapore Fashion Week and Singapore Asia Fashion Week on www.amatas.com , both events happening during the past month.

ya..True enough that wood & wood is an interesting one but i hope local consumers will play hard enough to wear them and experiement new aesthetic to promote their own label

Andrew Gn? I personally dont really favour him as he is very much influenced by foreign culture rather than any local conceptual thoughts.

ahh. thanks for the webbie. i was a dresser at the asia fashion week 05'.

well there aint any singaporean designers that made it big. there are some that are a little famous in Singapore thou, like K-mi Huang of the label Womb. never had any singaporean designers mentioned in mags overseas or made a big name out there thou. its just so hard.

jo soh her women's label is called Hansel n it's really cute

profile1.jpg

"Local conceptual thoughts"? What is that.

The fashion capitals are London, Paris and Milan. Arguably we can do without Milan. To localize yourself is to be insular.

I seen her collection before in a shop called FELT in Singapore.. Hmm... her aesthetic and design are pretty ordinary. Dont like the fit that she create for its womenswear..

Oh so you help out at ASIAN YOUNG DESIGNER contest ? DId you notice and analyse the collection of the winner that night? Heard his collection was pretty impressive

its just not about fashion capitals.... I feel that its all about movement that boost the consumer spirit. We see history movement such as Antwerp six in the 90s, the emerging avant garde japanese in the 80s and many more... When can we see a new movement of the 2000s? nothing is new that excite me.

Yeah and where do the leading lights of the "Antwerp Six" show now? Where does Yohji show? Yea that's right: Paris.

So would you 'disfavour' them because they are "very much influenced by foreign i.e. Parisian culture"? After all Andrew Gn's only aesthetic crime was to move to Paris, and show in Paris.

You say it's about movement that 'boosts the consumer spirit'. That's what he did. But to move IS to be necessarily influenced by 'foreign' culture. Like it or not a lot in fashion is about employing the idioms of the dominant, and as it happens to be - Western - dress. If you can't master those idioms by being familiar with the structural aspects of foreign culture, then you FAIL at creating in those idioms.

You say local this and local that, but as long as you stay 'local' you'll never make it. The machinations of big fashion is in Paris, London and deservedly or not, Milan. Think about it. You don't even have 4 seasons. How do you even begin to fathom what winterwear should be like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rtdrone
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->