Stella mcCartney's 'ethical' accessory line

Lena

etre soi-meme
Reaction score
013106_32.jpg

013106_35.jpg

013106_33.jpg

Stella does it 'her way' while pushing her a non-leather 'ethical' accessories line.
here first look at her new styles
i dont like the bag too much but the shoes/boots are real cute

Nylon, vinyl and techno canvas aren't words that set the average luxury customer's heart aflutter, but thanks to Stella McCartney, that may be about to change. The designer, famous for her love of animals and loathing of leather, has unveiled her first major accessories collection, a mix of man-made and natural fabrics with details such as heavy stitching, chunky chains, punk studs, and jet beading.
"I'm not trying to take over the world, but I do want to show that accessories can be made from a more ethical viewpoint — and be sexy and cool," McCartney said in an interview Monday. "The myth of leather — that every bag and shoe needs to be made from it — needs to be broken down. It's a bit caveman."
McCartney also said she believes there's a gap in the market for accessories made from non-leather alternatives.
"I don't think it's strange for a consumer to ask for a good-looking, non-leather handbag. It's sad there aren't 20 other fashion houses making non-leather products," she said.
The highly textured, brightly colored collection features handbags, purses, luggage, shoes, belts and jewelry. It will launch for fall. Retail prices range from $95 for some of the jewelry to $1,595 for the satin, or moiré and canvas, embroidered shoes. Dollar figures have been supplied by the company.
The line will sell in the Stella McCartney flagships in London, New York and Los Angeles, in addition to select retailers, including Selfridges and Le Printemps, starting in June.
Handbags range in price from $195 for the nylon Golborne bag, trimmed in black ribbon or velvet, to $1,395 for the vintage-inspired Appaloosa, made from shiny, high-tech strop patent fake leather.
"A bag is as important as a shoe, a coat or a dress," said McCartney. "Women rely on a bag to express themselves — especially in winter when we're all covered up. It's a statement piece that reflects a woman's personality, and it needs to be both individual looking and wearable."
To wit, McCartney said the bags all have inside compartments for keys, makeup, a wallet and phone. On the outside, the branding is subtle, and the logo is engraved on an antique-finished brass medallion. "I don't think my customers want to scream about having a designer bag," she said.
In tune with McCartney's love of horses, the nine handbag styles have all been named after different breeds: Appaloosa, Dartmoor, Morgan, Brumby, Palomino, Mustang, Falabella, Pinto and Golborne.
Footwear, of which there are 10 styles, starts from $395 for the leopard print satin shoe. McCartney said she's given her beloved high-heeled shoes new toe shapes, and addressed flat shoes.
"I'm like every other woman: I want a good flat boot for winter and a flat ballerina for summer," she said.
Prices of bags and shoes are in line with other designer collections and, in some cases, they're more expensive because of the material or treatment. "Often, the price that's put on the skin of an animal is not that high," she said.
Texture plays a major role across the entire collection, with materials such as velvet, soft patent, crackle patent, metallic vinyl, stonewashed denim or canvas, and techno canvas. Shoes and boots come in satin with glitter details, waxed canvas and vinyl.
Color, too, plays a big role in the new collection. There are deep clarets, cornflower and peacock blues, sea foam greens, and leopard prints.
In addition, there are 13 styles of belts, made from materials including chains, elastic, studs and velvet. There are three styles of jewelry made from precious metals including sterling silver, onyx, crystal and brass.
"The jewelry just evolved. We were playing with the details on the bags, and thinking, ‘Wow, that would make a great bracelet or necklace.' I love doing jewelry, and I think these pieces really complement the collection," she said.
The accessories line is produced in-house in Italy. As reported, Marco Bizzarri, chief executive officer of Stella McCartney, believes accessories will generate some 30 percent of the company's annual sales in less than three years' time. Accessories currently account for about 16 percent of annual turnover.

The company's sales are expected to exceed 30 million euros, or $36.3 million at current exchange, for the fiscal year ending Jan. 31, 2005. The company plans to release figures for the year ending Jan. 31, 2006, within the next week.

article extracts and pics from wwd.com

looks alright but I love the idea behind it. Wish more designers did this. Can't wait to see the rest.

I agree on Meg, certainly now more and more designers are starting to use fur. the trend seems to be it all has to be the most luxe materials dispite of what they look like or what must be done to collect them. Stella shows "cheap" meterial can be very luxurious.

The boots are nice. The shoes and the bag aren't to my taste.

i like the boots. and i very much like the fact that so much thought went into this...the equestrian connection alone is nice. i think she's right, why aren't there more people asking for this?

Kudos to Stella for setting an example... We need more people like this...! :flower:

I love the idea and the stuff is quite cute^_^

I think there is a big gap for this to.

I really like the boots especially...I wish this would happen more often; high quality non-animal products. I'm vegetarian and would love for this stuff to be more readily available (without looking cheap or being bad quality) so I generally just go for leather products...but if the high street were to start bringing in products like this it would be great. Good on stella.

Gonna agree, the boots are eye-catching.

I wish that there were more designers who are willing to explore other alternatives ..

mmmm I just tried on a pair of sort of purpley-grey ankle boots by stella... felt just like leather, but it wasnt. really convincing leatherette.

wasn't she famously caught wearing vintage leather boots?

while i applaud this, i wonder why the price points continue to be so high if they are using alternative materials?

i bought a pair of stella's stilettos a few years ago (the ones that are plastic and patent leather), and they were very uncomfortable for the $450 price tag...

Psyched to hear about Stella's more ethical products! I would love to see more non-leather stylish accessories out there.

kimair said:
while i applaud this, i wonder why the price points continue to be so high if they are using alternative materials?
In the article, I think Stella was explaining that animal skin is sometimes rather cheap, while the materials and finishes that she uses are more expensive than animal skin. :flower: I had a hard time understanding it myself; the article didn't explain it very clearly.

Nice that Paul's daughter is doing this but at the same time wearing leather boots herself. What a woman!

Vintage leather, Saint Stella said was ok, because the animal died a long time ago. :wink: She's one of those types, has a principle when convenient.

She just wants to fleece people out of as much money - alternatives needn't b this pricey especially when they look like this:sick:

i bought a pair of stella's stilettos a few years ago (the ones that are plastic and patent leather), and they were very uncomfortable for the $450 price tag...

I remember those stilettos, they were beautiful B)

The boots are certainly nice. The handbag looks like a love child of the Balenciaga and the Novak! :P

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->