Teach me your language I teach you mine

^Thanks a lot! I'm making English subtitles for a friend's movie and found that expression, but I'd never heard it and it did sound outdated. Thanks for the suggestions. :flower:

Sorry to bump this thread but...do any of you read sanskrit?
I saw this picture of a model with his tattoo and I'd like to know what it means
tumblr_lzuuvclxsp1qhodd8o1_500.jpg

SourcE: malemodelmadness tumblr

I need some urgent help from a Native English speaker, hopefully from USA or Canada, i need to send tomorrow an application for an scholarship tomorrow, and i need to see if there are any misspellings or problems with the english redaction i would be extremely thankful.

It's 1 sheet text, and if anyone wants to help, it can PM me.
Thanks in advance.

Hello guys , so If you need any help I speak french ,arabic, english and a lil bit of spanish I'll be happy to help in return well I d like to learn danish or russian thanks!!

English speakers: How do you say, informally, that a certain person lives in the apartment nºx? Can I say "she's in the x"? Or do I have to say "she lives in the x"? :unsure::doh:
TIA.

**ETA: Nevermind. Problem solved.**

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys, I am native Chinese speaker, I speak fluent Mandarin Chinese and also Catonese. If u guys need helps, I'd only to be too happy to help :smile:
Posted via Mobile Device

It's hard to translate without the context, but as far as I know avoir du chien ("Elle a du chien", for example) usually means that the person (generally a woman) has a certain something, a certain appeal, a "je ne sais quoi". Maybe you could translate as "She (or whoever it is) is charming"?

" avoir du chien" , we usually say that when a girl/ boy have a strong personality and really daring

English speakers: Are there moments when it's more appropriate to say "...ways to do..." instead of "ways of doing..." (vice-versa)? Is there a difference?

Hi guys, can anyone from Pakistan give me a little help? Or Pashto/Urdu speakers? Thanks :flower:

English speakers: Are there moments when it's more appropriate to say "...ways to do..." instead of "ways of doing..." (vice-versa)? Is there a difference?

Do you mean in terms of their tense?

because 'ways to wear [red coats this winters]' / 'ways to do [your hair]' for me seem better than writing their alternatives:
' ways of wearing [red coats]' / 'ways of doing [your hair]'

^ you'd normally see 'to do' etc. as a headline or as part of a 'top ten' blog post, in an instructive manner. Where as you'd see the second examples in the accompanying text if that makes sense.

Could other English speakers clarify this?

this bugs me for such a long time. how do you guys expand your vocabulary? I've been learning English since I was 12, but it's always a big problem to me. feel at ease to find any article or someone's post here, there could be a bunch of words I never learned before. like "simultaneous", "idiosyncratic", "scrutinize", "frivolous"... etc. and they never seem getting into my head even I try to. I just can't believe after 10 years more studying, it's still such a mess. uh

^repetition, repetition, repetition. reading also helps a lot, different stuff, newspapers, books, articles etc and watching movies/tv shows in English. and maybe you could get a programme to study vocabulary, i use one called "Anki" (it's free). you can enter your own vocab and download collections (also for free) like SAT vocabulary.

^ I will agree with Alvedansen..I've been learning English for the past 10 years and I think books, magazines, movies, tv shows etc. helped me a lot to expand my vocabulary

Hello, any English speakers know what does "I make no promises" mean?

Thanks in advance :flower:
Posted via Mobile Device

^ I guess it mean ''I never do what I promise I will''

And French speakers, I need ID-ing some words from this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegHKUKiVxQ&feature=related
At the 29th second, she says:

I can see your eyes,
????????????????
so let me feel your gaze

As I understood, she says: je suis and I don't understand the following. Please tell me what she says in French and what does that mean :smile:
Thanks in advance

Hello, any English speakers know what does "I make no promises" mean?

when someone say that he or she "make no promises" I guess it mean that they never say "I promise ..." because they don't want to obligate themselves to do something if they're not sure that they will be able to do it, so it's better not to promise it at all. :smile: but maybe I'm wrong ... :smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slimshelly
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->