Teach me your language I teach you mine

it's supposed to be sarcastic, referring to one's hypocrisy. it's almost the same as saying 'look who's talking'.

hi, any english speakers know what does "you're one to talk" mean? thanks x

It is something you would say to someone who is complaining about someone but they themself have the same issues or problems that they are complaining about. It is kinda negative - you would say it to someone who is annoying - like a younger sister! LOL

Hi, anyone knows what's the correct pronunciation for the word "economic"? I've heard people read it like "at con non mic" while some read it as "e conomoc"... :ninja:

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi, anyone knows what's the correct pronunciation for the word "economic"? I've heard people read it like "at con non mic" while some read it as "e conomoc"... :ninja:

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Ec - o - nom - ics. (ek - o - nom - ics).
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks!

Eh - kuh - nom (as in 'nominate') - ix

You can hear the pronunciation here. All of them are correct. :flower:

I wish I was bilingual in english !
I'm from france, so if you guys have any questions.. (just not grammar, french is so complicated !)

Also, I have a question.. Can you tell me how to pronounce the word "although" ?
I have trouble to pronounce "th"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm from france, so if you guys have any questions.. (just not grammar, french is so complicated !)

I'll give you a quick English lesson, not to pick on you but because it's my number one pet peeve when it comes to English grammar.

The correct way to say the above phrase is, "I wish I were bilingual..." Since you're French you should understand it easily, it's the subjunctive tense.

but trust me, most native English speakers wouldn't say that phrase correctly and it drives me crazy!! ^_^

Also, I have a question.. Can you tell me how to pronounce the word "although" ?
I have trouble to pronounce "th"

The pronunication is

all - tho.

The correct way to say the above phrase is, "I wish I were bilingual..." Since you're French you should understand it easily, it's the subjunctive tense.

but trust me, most native English speakers wouldn't say that phrase correctly and it drives me crazy!! ^_^
Do you mind explaining that a bit more? So its never I wish i was?

Do you mind explaining that a bit more? So its never I wish i was?

I can only answer this question from an Australian's point of view - as I feel most English speakers have a form of slang & casualness in speech that is unique to their country's evolution of the English dialect.

I am of the opinion that was / were are both correct in the modern usage of the word but if you are speaking formally then were is correct. If you want to be casual in speech then was is okay but if you want to speak English correctly then the correct verb is were. But the same meaning would be interpreted by the listener.

French speakers: is "c'est marteau" an expression? How could one translate it?

It's from Vanessa Paradis's new song:
Et moi quand j'aime, quand j'aime c'est marteau
Je fais toutes les erreurs
Je pleure, je fouille, sème la terreur

TIA. :flower:

Hi, I wanna ask about "positions" :flower:

What do "lying on my back" and "lying on my belly" mean?

"lying on my back"--does it mean a position where your back is facing the subject you're lying on (for example, a bed) with your face facing the ceiling?

"lying on my belly"--is it the position where your belly is facing the subject you're lying on with your back facing upwards?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkim991905
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->