Teach me your language I teach you mine

Hi, I wanna ask about "positions" :flower:

What do "lying on my back" and "lying on my belly" mean?

"lying on my back"--does it mean a position where your back is facing the subject you're lying on (for example, a bed) with your face facing the ceiling?

"lying on my belly"--is it the position where your belly is facing the subject you're lying on with your back facing upwards?

Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, you've got it! :wink:

Is any native French speaker willing to read one of my essays (very short, one page and less than 350 words) to see if I need some corrections please? :smile: I know they are many Parisians on here!

L'amour d'aimer c'est de s'aimer d'amour,
Donner son corps au plaisir nuits et jours,
Mais chaque fois c'est ta voix que j'entends
Et tu m'appelle Emmanuelle.

From the song Emmanuelle

Could anybody help me understand the first line?

^ addit: but together it is nonsensical from an Australian's point of view. It may be slang from another English speaking country; song lyrics or an English Pub etc.Need to know the context. Hope that helps.

L'amour d'aimer c'est de s'aimer d'amour,
Donner son corps au plaisir nuits et jours,
Mais chaque fois c'est ta voix que j'entends
Et tu m'appelle Emmanuelle.
From the song Emmanuelle
Could anybody help me understand the first line?

The love of loving is to love each other with love (yeah...)
Giving your body to the pleasures day and night
But everytime it is your voice that I hear
and you call me Emmanuelle

Last edited by a moderator:
The love of loving is to love each other with love (yeah...)
:lol:

Hate having to go back to French this summer as mandatory credit. Just remembering passé composé makes me wanna die. I'll probably live in this thread.

It's also hard to teach passé composé, trust me ! Students tend to forget to do agreement etc :lol:

is there an adjective to describe "latecomer goes above than the others" kind of situation?

Is there a native German speaker here that could please translate this for me?

A guy complimented me, then text me this: "Es war wirklich mein ernst..."

I think it means 'I was really serious'(about the complement)
BUT I am not a native speaker so I mightn't be right

German sentence structure can be really complicated

I've started learning French a few days ago. Loving it so far.

I have a couple questions though which weren't explained clearly in my online lessons.

1. At first I thought adjectives always goes before the subject. For example, a red apple - un pomme rouge. However, in the last couple lessons, I've noticed they sometimes say it the other way around, red roses - des rouges roses. Why's that?

2. If I understand correctly, you use du/des when you mean to say some (although, you don't always say some in English in those instances). When you use du/des, you don't use a preposition - le/la/les. But then there was one sentence when they said some water and the French translation was du l'eau. Why's that?

I've started learning French a few days ago. Loving it so far.

I have a couple questions though which weren't explained clearly in my online lessons.

1. At first I thought adjectives always goes before the subject. For example, a red apple - un pomme rouge. However, in the last couple lessons, I've noticed they sometimes say it the other way around, red roses - des rouges roses. Why's that?

2. If I understand correctly, you use du/des when you mean to say some (although, you don't always say some in English in those instances). When you use du/des, you don't use a preposition - le/la/les. But then there was one sentence when they said some water and the French translation was du l'eau. Why's that?

Not a native speaker, but I remember learning these... I might be wrong though. :doh:

Anyway, for the adj thing. It's NOT always adj before the subject. In fact, in French, majority of the cases is that you have the adj after subject. When you are talking about number adj, size, appearance, it's usually ADJ BEFORE SUBJECT, like: un jeune homme. / When you are talking about nationalities, colour, de forme de religion et les adjectifs dérives d'un nom, it's ADJ AFTER THE SUBJECT, like: un restaurant italien, une chemise rouge.

But there are also a few situations that's opposite. Like, for example, "ancienne" (old). If you want to mean your old car, the one your used before, you say "mon ancienne voiture"; but if you mean a very old car (manufactured a long time ago), you say "une voiture ancienne". So it depends on the situation.

Answer to your second question, I'm not very good at those les/le/la, du/des, but I do remember that whenever you are talking about drinks, water included, you always use "du", like du jus d'orange or du jus de fraise...

Hope this helps but I'm still learning it myself so feel free to correct me if there's any mistake!

Adjective placement in French has a lot of rules. ChristyLeReveur summed it well : majority after the noun, adjectives of Beauty Age Goodness Size (BAGS adjectives) go before the noun and some adjectives can either be placed before (in that case they are subjective : ma propre chambre "my own room") or after (in that case they are objective : ma chambre propre "my clean room")

As for du/de la /de l'/des : they are the partitive adjectives, the equivalent of "some" in English. In French you always have to use the partitives even though it's not always used in english : e.g. I have books "J'ai des livres".

In "du" you have the preposition "de" and the article "le" : they're combined. And "du" is always used with masculine singuler nouns (du pain / du temps / du chocolat / du jus de fruit). Same with "des" = "de + les" combined, used for plural.

"Du l'eau" is definitely a mistake. It should be "de l'eau" because "eau" starts with a vowel.

Du + masculine nouns : du chocolat
De la + feminine nouns : de la chance / de la classe
de l' + nouns begining with a vowel (or a mute "h") : de l'or / de l'argent
des + plural nouns : des fleurs / des bijoux etx

Hope this helps

Thanks to both of you. Makes sense. :heart:

PS, It probably was de l'eau, I just typed it wrong.

I think it´s a french last name, how do you pronounce it?

TANGUY

tahn-gee?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julovw
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->