The 90s Comeback

as some of u know, 90's were quite different in ex Yugoslavia. apart from wars and other afwul stuff, fashion wise things were really upseting...

blog.b92.net
forum.etf.bg.ac.yu
dopmagazin
news.bbc.co.uk

Sometimes I have a feeling some people have the 90s all mixed up, unless you are late late 20s, 30 or over 30 you really haven't "lived" the 90s in my opinion. Sometimes I read in this thread people saying they hate the early 90s, and then refer to everything related to it. Where did some people got the idea that the Ck imaginary is late 90s, or that the early 90s were an extension of the 80s? Grunge as we know it, a product of the early 90s is the antithesis of the 80s. Things changed so so much!

Of course I'm referring to 90s in general, the "my so called life" western world 90s, like M.J. and some other posters mentioned, there are a lot of 90s aesthetically for a all lot of reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, "grunge"( I don't really like to use that term, as it was made up by the media to lump together the Seattle bands) was a movement against the 80's-the music about girls and cars, and over the top fashion. The early 90's minimalism and understated "unfashion" is what I think of for that era.

I am looking for vintage jeans from the early 90's in a straight leg, but I don't know where to go for them. I'm skinny and it is hard to find a jean like that, that is close cut to the leg, and not all baggy, like "mom jeans"

Something like this:
based on your description I was looking for the exact same thing, and I found it in the Acne Jeans "Her" style.

Sometimes I have a feeling some people have the 90s all mixed up, unless you are late late 20s, 30 or over 30 you really haven't "lived" the 90s in my opinion. Sometimes I read in this thread people saying they hate the early 90s, and then refer to everything related to it. Where did some people got the idea that the Ck imaginary is late 90s, or that the early 90s were an extension of the 80s? Grunge as we know it, a product of the early 90s is the antithesis of the 80s. Things changed so so much!

Of course I'm referring to 90s in general, the "my so called life" western world 90s, like M.J. and some other posters mentioned, there are a lot of 90s aesthetically for a all lot of reasons.

i'm in my 30s and i agree and disagree with you. though i know people mix up the decades a lot. but there was a super clean glamourous minimal aesthetic that came out of the over-the-top 80s look, then that minimal glam thing became a 90s ultra-minimal glam thing. so there was a continuation but, yes, grunge is absolutely the opposite of 80s glam. there is a CK look, the same minimal 80s thing i was talking about that to me is still central to the 90s look. even looking at the fonts they used in advertising in the 80s, and the empty shooting spaces, the clean lines, and a specific type of sexyness.

just like now, there were quite a few fashion threads within the 90s and the 80s.

Then too, some styles from the '90s have been carry-overs from past decades. Or at least, elements of past styles. Compare some of the flared jeans of the '90s to the more extreme bell bottoms of the '70s. So I don't think all popular fashion items and looks are mutually exclusive to the '90s unless you're talking about the aforementioned grunge style.

I was still in my teens in the '90s. I still remember a lot of styles shown between 1996 and 2000. You know, stuff like lace-up sandals, canvas sneakers with open toes and a slingback, cropped shirts, huge belt buckles (like a big flower belt buckle), the popularity of Mickey Mouse and Tweety, skorts, work boots as fashion was kind of popular as well... you go from there. And let's not forget the Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera fashion influences. So since a lot of my teenage time was in the '90s, my view of this decade is different from those in their 20s or 30s then.

i'm in my 30s and i agree and disagree with you. though i know people mix up the decades a lot. but there was a super clean glamourous minimal aesthetic that came out of the over-the-top 80s look, then that minimal glam thing became a 90s ultra-minimal glam thing. so there was a continuation but, yes, grunge is absolutely the opposite of 80s glam. there is a CK look, the same minimal 80s thing i was talking about that to me is still central to the 90s look. even looking at the fonts they used in advertising in the 80s, and the empty shooting spaces, the clean lines, and a specific type of sexyness.

just like now, there were quite a few fashion threads within the 90s and the 80s.

Well I agree with you. The seeds of almost everything that became mainstream in the 90s is of course the 80s.Even The so called "grunge" bands, were already doing "grunge" in the late 80s. But when some people talk of a continuation they are talking about the mainstream aspects of the 80s, all the excess, that although it remained visible in certain media for the early years 90s, was clearly not being adopted anymore. If anyone went to visit an early 90s high school, it would definitely not mistake decades, as you know of course.

My mother, a true woman of the 80s,big shoulders and big hair, to this day talks of a visit to my school in the early 90s were she got the weirdest of feelings, she says she felt we were all interchangeable.:lol: In my native city in Portugal, not the most fashion forward of countries in the first place, , my version of the early 90s is even more extreme , I lived in a beach area, so my school in the early 90s was just a sea of surfwear, (half the boys were surfers so most of the boys had bleached hair from the wax, so we had a legion of Kurt Cobains look alikes), plaid, and jeans, absolutely nothing more. Girls and boys, it didn't matter, we all dressed more or less the same. Bought the same jeans, the same t-shirts and we all wore Converse.
There were so many so many Converse All Star, that they decided to film an ad in my school just by filming our feet while we were going about our lives in the playground.:ninja:

Yep, the seattle bands of the "Grunge" scene were dressing that way as early as 1985, so they were pretty bewildered when it became a national trend years later.

There are a few other styles I can recall from the '90s. So if you want to see a '90s comeback, that even means seeing the return of... overalls. Hardly anyone outside of babies and children wear overalls anymore. I am sure someone made an attempt to make these fashionable again. Key word- attempt.

For Tomorrow by Blur, a music video that everybody shouldn't forget. All people in the clip worn typical British clothing in 90s. I love the girl's bob haircut, her oversized blazer and boots. Nowadays Agyness seems to be the one who recall that uber-cool British fashion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F156egcVGp0

and can anyone tell me the exact name of that 90s London style, btw ?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few other styles I can recall from the '90s. So if you want to see a '90s comeback, that even means seeing the return of... overalls.

Oooohh, overalls. The key to making that 90's is wearing them with one strap undone. Anyone else remember that? :ninja:
:lol:

I am looking for vintage jeans from the early 90's in a straight leg, but I don't know where to go for them. I'm skinny and it is hard to find a jean like that, that is close cut to the leg, and not all baggy, like "mom jeans"

Something like this:

you should look for Levi´s 501.
I remember everyone wearing them in the '90s, and I think even mr Cobain did... atleast they look just like his in the picture.

For some reason, knotted-up shirts (knotted together in the front, that is) were really popular. And I don't know if this is anyone else's experience, but there were a ton of zip-up/button-down skirts in my wardrobe, and those have had a bit of a revival over the last year or so...and combat boots! I remember high-tops were all the rage when I was in middle school, girls used to wear those with miniskirts.

I love the 90s, and the idea of a revival is awesome- I was born in the 80s all right, but I guess I just can't relate to the aesthetic all that well..and I'd totally welcome the return of Britpop-era parkas, and the cords I once saw on Damon Albarn in a music magazine my cousin got me from London.

Honestly, I was going to mention knotted shirts. The '90s was about that daring kind of look. These days, in the time of layering, a knotted shirt would probably go over some high-waist jeans or go with a dress.

I wear overalls with a peasant top if I'm just out running errands and shopping and such. Yeah, I recall seeing somewhere that Kurt wore Levis, I'll see if I can find some because the 501's are the look i'm thinking of.

and can anyone tell me the exact name of that 90s London style, btw ?

to me the London (England) 90s style was POP !! English Pop !!
Watch Blur, Elastica, Bis, Belle & Sebastian etc. and you'll get it !
Swedish streetstyle is the one to watch out for this style ... Maybe not the current one ... But just try to check some stuff a little older ... early 00s ... Scandinavian are best examples for this ...

... But I'm not english ...

Agyness is nothing English Pop or 90s, to me, to be sincere ...

And I'm L.ing.O.L to "oversized blazer" ... what the hell does this mean ?
:ninja: ... None of these girls seem to wear oversized blazer ... just rolled-up sleeves men jacket (not a blazer !) and the girl in the middle (name ?) just wear a long jacket ... a coat in a way ...

I guess it's just like "boyfriend jeans" ... stupid names to make you buy more and more s*** you already have or can find anywhere for cheap money ...

I'm sorry if this is a repeat question (I don't have time to read through this post) but what exactly is bringing this 90's style back? It's too recent in history to be visited again! Also I think at the end of the decade we all (i.e fashion community) agreed the leggings, doc martens, jeans, and flower prints were total rot?! Not to mention the uh, FLANNELS and THERMALS?

Why is this cool with the cool kids? Are hipsters trying to take their ironic style to the limits?

I have noticed an early 90s thing going on lately... tying the bottom hem of your t-shirt in a knot, preferably on the hip, Brenda Walsh-style. I used to do this A LOT in the early nineties, as did all the girls at my school.

Oh, it's certainly here. It's not like it's spilling into the streets! But you look at eds. and the clothes in shops esp. those marketing to the young folks...

Maybe with the recession the idea of grunge, vintage, "laid back" and minimal is appealing again? And the recent history provides a warm and fuzzy familiarity that's easy to digest on top of the massive pile of sh*t that is the current state of international political and economic affairs?

I'm making this thread more like, "name as many '90s styles and fashions that you can remember." Anyhow, I remember the poet blouses. I've most loved these on women with the puffy sleeves and the ruffled cuffs. A common combo would be a poet blouse paired with a vest. There was once a Foley's advertisement in a channel guide that featured such blouses paired with vests and long skirts.

While I know the '90s for daring fashions and looks that parents would frown upon, something I liked about the '90s had some sophisticated looks, even for the casual set. I remember some of the true preppy fashions of the mid-late '90s including styles inspired by the movie "Clueless." But I don't know... more people (especially femmes) easily went from dressing up for fun... to dressing down with skinny jeans and Converses in the transition from '90s fashion to the 2000s. I could recall that wearing a nice blouse, some dressy bootcut stretch trousers, and either chunky loafers or some platform tailored oxfords was a nice CASUAL look. It was casual with a dressy edge. Nowadays, not many femmes go for such dressy looks for fun. Or at least, casual dressy chic has given way to semi-casual chic. It was cute to see such looks. Now, it's mostly the rock generation and tough dressing in fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaywootoo
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->