The 90s Comeback

I loved the 90s so much and had the time of my life that I don't mind if we experience it as a funny cartoon every 5 years. I loved everything... my beauty standard (reason why my body perception must be all kinds of screwed) was Milla for L'Oreal :rofl:, the moment I spotted a new ad say metallic blue eyeshadow and metallic blue lipstick, I had to do it, so there I was rollerblading at age 11 hair split into 20 micro chignons and a metallic blue face looking like an absolute moron. I loved the 90s. :zorro:

I loved the 90s so much and had the time of my life that I don't mind if we experience it as a funny cartoon every 5 years. I loved everything... my beauty standard (reason why my body perception must be all kinds of screwed) was Milla for L'Oreal :rofl:, the moment I spotted a new ad say metallic blue eyeshadow and metallic blue lipstick, I had to do it, so there I was rollerblading at age 11 hair split into 20 micro chignons and a metallic blue face looking like an absolute moron. I loved the 90s. :zorro:

lol thats exactly me in the fourth grade. I had a baby blue nail polish from Hard Candy and a dark blue metallic lipstick i wore to soda discos. Don't get me wrong i LOVE the nineties as well:blush:

The '90s were one of my favorite decades, so I'm kind of excited about this. (No, that's a lie. I am not "kind of" excited. I am extra super duper excited. After all these years, my chokers will finally be free to see the light of day again!)

Having said that...

I feel its sort of ridiculous the way kids are dressing up as if we were in the actual 90s.. I mean they barely experienced it! it feels like a costume and not someone expressing a sense of personal style. I guess i'm getty old and grumpy...

I think I know what you mean. The '90s, the first time around, were an organic reaction to the excess and structure of the '80s. You could see exactly how the style of the decade evolved based on what came before it. There was the influence of grunge, and the sleek minimalism, and when you looked at it, you understood why. The clothes were an expression of something real that was happening in the culture.

This time around, it's like, "Okay, we did the '60s, the '70s, and the '80s! Now it's time for the '90s!" No one understands what it was even about or why we're doing it again. There's no real organic reason for it to come back right now beyond the fact that it's next in the series and everyone is just following along like sheep. Are we going to do the '00s next, too, even though they were only five years ago?

Or maybe I'm just getting old and grumpy, too. :lol:

did you guys notice the comeback in fashion photography as well? eg recent shoots with Daria W and the new issue of Vogue Paris. I'm hoping to see more eds like the ones on The Face :smile:

that is a great image~
B)...:heart:

the whole thing is really getting on my nerves though...
:doh:

The whole era of 90's fashion disturbs me to the core when I think of the pencil thin Kate Moss copycat eyebrows. Shudder! Thank god I was blessed to have mine most always grow back. 2000-2009 was also a terrible time for brows. As far as clothing style I prefer the 00's-'09 look over 90's, there's just something so kitsch and costume-y about chokers and cropped spaghetti strap tanks.

90s fashion was great in the 90s... we have 2017

The SS18 Celine and Stella McCartney shows were super 90's

I can't wait for this to be over. It's my least favorite throwback of all.

I can't wait for this to be over. It's my least favorite throwback of all.

I can't agree more. I think this is one of those trends that started from the bottom, kids admiring '90s tabloid sleaze and aspiring to be Courtney Love. I hope it doesn't go too far to the top (i.e. real fashion).

I, on the opposite, love this trend and hope for it to go far. Yes, it's somewhat kitsch-y and costume-y, but, man, do I love it :wub: Maybe becasue it reminds me of the good old times in my life, when I was very, very young, I don't know. Or is it because fashion was truly fashion at the time, it was all about self-expression and, well, it was expressive.

I'm one of those that oppose this trend. Those big, clumsy FILA shoes and oversized jeans just doesn't look like they once did. When I see people with this style today it really looks unfashionable and lazy to me, even though I know that they themselves think it is super hip. But I guess this is a generational matter, and I might just be getting old...

now that the 80s came and went, i see that the 90s is coming back slowly.

ive seen overalls on catwalks as well as plaid..highrise jeans and skirts are also sign of 90s comeback.

feel free to discuss and post pics..what do you think, will this trend stay for awhile or is it just a fad? what are your 90s likes and dislikes?

i definately dont wanna see grunge again... :P but highrise trend i like...
90s fashion was the trend setter. It paved the way to the future for us in the fashion industry. Miss the good old days :smile:

I don't mind it tbh, it's better than the early-00s stuff but it depends on which part of the 90s we're talking about. Slip dresses and grunge are for life but those stupid strappy sandals and some of the weirdly shaped 'minimalist' bags, jackets and shoes, hell no. I understand the appeal of grunge to the young though, it's one type of look that's cheap (you can get checked shirts anywhere) and comfortable, and you don't have to be buying Marc Jacobs stuff to have a 'look' - which is fine since it was all copied from kids who shopped secondhand anyway. Same with those other styles, they're a novelty to them. And tbqh I would rather see the 90s make a comeback than the 80s with all those shoulder pads!

I don't mind it tbh, it's better than the early-00s stuff but it depends on which part of the 90s we're talking about. Slip dresses and grunge are for life but those stupid strappy sandals and some of the weirdly shaped 'minimalist' bags, jackets and shoes, hell no. I understand the appeal of grunge to the young though, it's one type of look that's cheap (you can get checked shirts anywhere) and comfortable, and you don't have to be buying Marc Jacobs stuff to have a 'look' - which is fine since it was all copied from kids who shopped secondhand anyway. Same with those other styles, they're a novelty to them. And tbqh I would rather see the 90s make a comeback than the 80s with all those shoulder pads!

This and I'll add scrunchies to the list of "please no need for this again"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->