The 90s Comeback

I like to do 90s minimalism circa Carolyn Bessette, which I don't think will ever got out of style.

^Agreed. I think as the decade starts to reappear and some try to capture the "trend," many forget that 90s fashion was not synonymous with grunge. Sleek, minimalism was all over the runways.

Grunge was the best part of the 90s!!! I love that it's coming back. But, in moderation!

Grunge can look good, but 99 out of 100 people look like they are trying too hard when they dress 'grunge-ish' (or is it grungy? :lol:).

I prefer the minimalistic side of the nineties myself. I would love to see monochrome outfits comming back.

another comeback is a more polished look of the socks with heels.

^which was way better in the comeback than in the 90s!

i don't like it...
i'm not a grunge girl...
i had a hard enough time with it the first time around...
:yuk:

all i can think of is brown matte lipstick and clunky, chunky shoes w. plaid shirts...
every time i see a movie from the 90's i can barely watch because of the bad hair and make up and really really bad shoes...
:lol:...

Last edited by a moderator:
90s clubwear is coming back as is early 90s "ghetto" style but with a gothy twist..and I love it..also noticing a trend for big 90s brandnames on things like dkny, tommy hilfiger etc. its not all about grunge :wink:

I do like some parts of the nineties such as grunge. I love the simplicity of that trend. But as someone previously mentioned, people now overdo it.

I hope that doesn't mean Versace craziness getting her heyday back:rolleyes:

I like some of 90s. I liked platforms. Not so much guys' grunge. Mstly it seemed like 80s was dress up and 90s was dress down. It was time it was first a fad and cool to be a lesbian. Not so much for guys ever although thers was sort of 80s. What ow is resergance of what is called "body-con" dresses of late 80s and 90s was back then called "fXXX me" dresses. Ones that took forefer to get on tey were so tight one just pulls p the skirt... I love gothicness of 4 way strech patent and latex. Bout latex was very expensive. A latex maxi skirt was $250 and that was a lot of money in mid 90s. Here is a store to check out.
http://store.baroness.com/women/
I went to several fetish parties back then in NYC, DC and Houston. It was mostly rich middle age posiers wearing stuff not allowed when teenager (also not available). It was for for a bit but very superficial. It all came to screaching halt after 9-11. 9-11 changed how people looked at life- no more life is a party forever. I remember once in Vogue some models wore plastic trash bags as skirts so I put my GF in one. Also dry cleaners bag dresses that were transparent. Take a wedding gown length bag and pull up bttom about half way. Usually the shoulder have a removable perferated piece on each side of the hanger hole. LAy the bag down flat and cut a U shape not to big to stick head throough. Cut holes just under top on edge for arm homes. Get a 3/4 " roll of Scotch Magic transparent tape. Put dress on person weaing it. Put tape in straight piecesfor neck hole. You shoud have made hole small and now tape outline a bit larger for comefort. Take sharp pair of sissors and cut excess plastick bag. It does better to cut small hole add taps and then remve excess. You will thn do same for arm holes. Use 2 pieces of tape overlapping so combines is about 1 1/4" wide. run down shoulder seams from neck hole to arm hole, This just strengthens it. Now so it does not look like a bag grab bag at waist on both sides. Bunch them up evenly. You can ty to fold but does not work so well. Take about 6- " tape and put over bunch. Then do other side. The result will make above waist fitted and skirt part balloon out sort of like a mid evil dress. puton hels and trim bottom excess off. Then put tape around bottom of skirt. This does 2 things~ it makes bottom stronger and it gives a bit of shape and stiffness so it billows out more than just hangs styraight. You can make hem any length. Maxi skirt to ankles is more amazing because youhave to get wedding gown and it is hemmed to person. if you do this right you wu\ill have to tear dress to get off. Wear what ever or nothing you want- bra panties or bikni or even a camisole and matching tap pants. Just for fun you can try some spray paint.

One thing neat is that it traps air so it is warm.Like if you go to club and too cold to wear a bikini you cold wear this clear dress and be warm. Sorry I don't have any photos handy.

A trash bag skirt is similar. Cut the bottom of bag. Put tape arund bottom Put on and pull draw tring tight and tie...

once you do it once or twice if you wear same height heels you can measure the dress after it is finished. Next time go a head and trimbottom tto length you want and put tape on hem. Lay dress down and taping is easier than while on someone sort of. IIRC correctly in Voge the models were wearing the black bags as a skirt with some kind of white lacy shirt/top, black trash bag skits and studded motor cycle ankle boots.

Here are photos of bag skirts.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ts&qpvt=women+in+trash+bag+skirts&FORM=IGRE#a

With some things I was like some of y'all 90s was not as good as 80s except for huge shoulder pads. They were bad in my opinion.

Anyway check out the images some of skirts are really fancy with ruffles.

That was lke when men stated wearing skirts for a while. I worked in downtown Washington, DC asnd there was a pretty big Barns and Nobles and there was a guy that wore thisfull shaped ~ A line mmaxi skirt wit t-shirts and Dr. Martins. Yall would have tossed tomatoes at him. He was ablut at least 15 pounds over weight, had short dark hair and either mustache or beard. He definately looked like he drank a lot of beer. He would have worn a plaid kilt and looked like a Scotsman, but this look was a miss. However, I suppose where I got idea to wear my GF's long tube sj\kirt to "mixed croud clubs"- gay clubs with straights also, but I wore a crew neck black body suit fom the limited and long tube skirt and flat riding boots with a wide elastic belt. It was cute. My hair was a little long and a bit curly and I was 5'11 and about 160 or so. So I did not have a beer gut like the other dude.

Try out the plastic bag clothes...

PS.... My GF and I got married in 94 so next spring we will have been married 20 years. Time flies when you are having fun and the older you get the faster it goes by...

So I guess thet makes me sort of an olg geezer...:lol:

I think I still can't deal with a 90s comeback in fashion… But I like when they play 90s music in bars and clubs :D

I was a kid in the 90s and I missed out on most of the trends, since they were very body-conscious, and my mom wouldn't even let me wear them. The empire waists, the clingy satin and crushed velvet, the slip dresses. The crop tops. I spent most of the decade in high-waisted jeans and a turtleneck. Definitely not doing that again.

I'm scared of the inflow of jelly sandals and tattoo chokers that are about to happen.

Prepare yourselves.

I feel its sort of ridiculous the way kids are dressing up as if we were in the actual 90s.. I mean they barely experienced it! it feels like a costume and not someone expressing a sense of personal style. I guess i'm getty old and grumpy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->