The death of the hipster !

kit

Reaction score
Hang up your hipsters

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]They have been a mainstay of our wardrobe for 10 years. But the ubiquitous trousers that transcended fashion are finally over. Jess Cartner-Morley bids them a fond farewell[/font]

[font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Friday March 25, 2005
The Guardian

[/font][font=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]It was the muffin top that finally did it. That, and the whale tail. These twin crimes of modern fashion - the squeeze of squidgy flesh that rolls over the top of a low waistband like overrisen dough, and the T-shape of a G-string that surges into view when the wearer of low-rise jeans sits down - have finally succeeded in killing off that staple of modern wardrobes, the hipster trouser[/font]
It had to happen. All good things come to an end, after all, and in fashion a good innings means anything more than six months. Most fashion trends come and go leaving barely a ripple on the sand - smocking, for instance, is terribly in this summer and will be all over the high street like a rash in July, but will vanish without trace by autumn. But the hipster trouser transcended fashion. A mainstay of our wardrobes for 10 years, the shape became - like black opaque tights, or Touche Eclat, or high heels - part of our arsenal. There is a generation of women now in their early 20s who have never worn a pair of trousers that reach their waist.

The hipster shape, in its modern form, came to power due to two labels: Gucci and Joseph. They changed our whole image of what trousers were about. Tom Ford's Gucci velvet hipsters were sexy, glamorous and rock'n'roll; Joseph's cotton twill versions were urbane and chic. Between them, they seemed to have every wardrobe eventuality covered, making trousers - which had hitherto been smart but rather sensible - suddenly look sexy. Observer journalist Polly Vernon, a devoted aficionado of the hipster trouser, dates her look from this time: "It was when I got my first pair of Joseph hipster tuxedo trousers in the mid 1990s that I realised the potential of the lower waist to make your bum look smaller. And then a few years later, I tried on a pair of Paul and Joe hipster jeans, and they were the single most flattering thing I'd ever worn. I was hooked."

Hipsters are supremely bottom-flattering. The bottom-fixation of recent pop culture - from Kylie to J-Lo - can largely be traced back to the sudden peachiness of the hipster-clad bottom. But the ability of a hipster waistband to trim inches from your bottom is not the only appeal of the look. There is, as Vernon puts it, "something intrinsically louche about trousers that are low-slung, and all that that implies". Worn long over a pair of spike-heeled boots, hipsters epitomised backstage glamour. Their associations with free-and-easy, Almost Famous sexiness made them a crucial part of the look of a new generation of pop princesses: at the height of her success, Britney Spears was often photographed in jeans with a zip just one-inch long. The look was taken to a new extreme by Christina Aguilera, who squeezed any remaining sexual subtlety from the hipster look by favouring corset lacing instead of a zip, a look that made the naval-baring of Justin Hawkins of The Darkness seem positively demure.

"When a look goes too mainstream, people start wearing it badly. And then the really fashionable people run a mile," explains Louise Chunn, editor of In Style magazine. And sure enough, once B-list celebrities boasting muffin tops and whale tails started making regular appearances on "how not to wear it" pages, hipsters disappeared from the international catwalks almost overnight. Now that Bootcut Barbie is baring her midriff in Woollies, the Gucci girls have their waistbands snugly fastened once more. Not everyone accepts, however, that the hipster has been tarnished by bad association. Vernon argues that the fashion world has turned against the look "because fashion will always battle against something if it's flattering and easy to wear. To the fashion purists, that's almost cheating". Whether the hipster imploded because it looked too bad or too good, everyone agrees that - in a high-fashion sense, at least - it is over. Balenciaga's high-waisted sailor trousers, and Chloe's cinch-waisted 1970s strides have had press and buyers swooning; Marc Jacobs' roll-up trousers, worn belted just below the waist and with high-heeled Mary Janes, are tipped by Harvey Nichols as this summer's essential. Suddenly, a new roll-call of trouser-wearing icons is being conjured up - Katharine Hepburn, Wallis Simpson, Marlene Dietrich. "There's a photo of Meg Mathews wearing the high-waisted Chloe trousers in an upcoming issue of In Style," says Chunn, "and she looks fantastic. But it's not an easy look to wear yet, because we're not used to seeing it." Some would counsel sticking with what you know suits you; against this, I would only propose the example of Liz Hurley, a woman whose every outfit makes it clear, each time she steps outside her front door in a pair of hipster white jeans, how much she wishes it was still early 1985 - an early-hipster, pre-Divine Brown, pre-Steve Bing world. And sometimes, ladies, you just gotta move with the times, even if they do make your bum look big.

Are Dean and Dan Caton , Andrew Mackenzie and the rest taking notice ? :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 5'3". I'm willing to go up to a 5 inch zip but no more. I hate sitting down in waist high pants, same goes for pantyhose.

For me, this is one of those cases where fashion be damned, I'm going to wear what is flattering to me. But I agree that the ultra low rise trend fading away is a good thing.

I tought it was about hipsters..I mean hipster-people :lol:

^^so did I...

muffin tops and whale tails :rofl::lol:

It's a nice idea, but it's going to take a long while to be embraced by the "high street" consumer....especially in middle America

As much as I love hipsters, the whale tale ruined it. They have potential to look great but when I see a thong hanging out I just want to scream....it's so wrong.

utopia said:
here's a thread on high waist trousers for those who are interested: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3873&highlight=hipster :flower:

personally I love high waisted trousers and will not be sad to see hipsters go out...the only problem is they are really, really hard to fit well for a lot of body types, whereas it's a little easier to fit hipsters because there's no waistline involved. :ermm:

i agree utopia....im going thru this weired phase , where im loving vintage denim...its seriously hit or miss as to what fits :( i notice i have to go a size down and squeeze into something smaller for it to look good. i like the 'thiness' ( lack of a better word) of vintage denim , it makes the high waist look slim and not bulky...so in that case once you get the perfect pair, they actually can be flatering...

Last edited by a moderator:
LolitaLuxe said:
i agree utopia....im going thru this weired phase , where im loving vintage denim...its seriously hit or miss as to what fits :( i notice i have to go a size down and squeeze into something smaller for it to look good. i like the 'thiness' ( lack of a better word) of vintage denim , it makes the high waist look slim and not bulky...so in that case once you get the perfect pair, they actually can be flatering...

yes I absolutely agree, vintage high waisters look so much better because of the weight of the fabric. I guess clothing makers of our generation haven't yet figured this out.

i really prefer low pants, it is just naturally comftorbal for me.

softgrey said:

It's what you call ' Headline Appeal ' or ' Strapline Appeal !!!B)

Otherwise people will not read !:cry:

Hence ' Hello Sailor !!! ' .:rolleyes:

Or that's what I teach in my Eng. Lang. classes !!! :lol:

I think low-waist jeans have just run their course. They've been really big for about the last 5 years, and now it's time to move on. Just like really baggy jeans were in for a while, from about 1996-2000, and then, circa 2000/01, girls started ditching their JNCOs for skinny Diesels. So low-waist jeans have been big, and now that everyone's had 'em for a while, The Fashion Powers That Be are bored. I really don't think that women wearing the wrong size of low-riders or making unfortunate underpants choices killed the trend. I think it just went the natural way of trends. It made an impact with the fashion mavens, the "In The Know" adopted the trend, the more fashion-forward of the masses started wearing it when it hit the shops, and now pretty much everyone has at least one but probably several pair of low-waist jeans. And now, the trend cycle is fulfilled, and it is time to screw over everyone's wardrobes again.

I do think that actual high-waisted trousers will be a hard sell, especially those made out of hard fabric like denim, simply on account of the comfort factor. Plus, a lot of women (even a lot of slim women) do not have figures that are suited to raised waistline. If you are average height with a short torso, you will look like a dumpy old man, and if you are petite, you may look like you are wearing hand-me-downs from a much taller sister. If you are heavy-set, this trend will probably be so unflattering and uncomfortable that you'll switch to dresses until it passes.

I think there are a lot of women who can pull the look off...it helps to be slim, it definitely helps to be well-proportioned, and above all, the clothing must be fitted immaculately. That's where the big problem comes in. By the time this trend hits the GAP, and people are buying a lot of it off the rack, they'll find that nothing fits the way they want to, and they don't look right or feel comfortable. It's one thing if you can afford a $300 pair of Donna Karan suit trousers at a posh boutique and have them professionally altered, and it's quite another when you're shopping the Junior Miss section in Sears.

I've actually designed a couple of pair for myself that I'll make and wear, but it is quite different for me to go and make a pair specifically for my own figure, and for the average woman to buy a pair that are comfortable and becoming at an ordinary high-street shop.

I am slim but high waisted anything does NOT WORK on my figure cos I have little hips. There is little difference for me beween my waist and hips. Waaaay before they were widely available in women's styles, I alllllways wore boy's jeans and trousers cos they sit lower and just look 100x better on me.

I lament this change, but I agree the low-rise trend was taken to a gross extreme, and ruined by the slobs. :cry:

I'm a bit skeptical about this sudden re-embrace of the high waist. Fact is, a good percentage of the population (generally speaking, the percentage that's over 40 and not overtly concerned with fashion) never abandoned it. My mother, one of the least-fashion-forward women on the planet (bless her heart), has been a high-waisted-pant wearer since the epoch. And there's a lot of women out there like her...I see them out and about every day. I somehow rather doubt that legions of teenage girls will cast off their low-rise jeans in order to adopt a look that their mums have already been wearing for years.

It is very weird that this article has suddenly emerged-I always thought I would stick to low rise trousers but a few weeks ago I bought a pair of very long, very skinny black jeans, that sit a little below my belly button, very high rise for me. But i won't be giving up hipsters completely-I'm tall and so sometimes the only way to get the length I want is to wear trousers and jeans pretty low.

kit said:
It's what you call ' Headline Appeal ' or ' Strapline Appeal !!!B)

Otherwise people will not read !:cry:

Hence ' Hello Sailor !!! ' .:rolleyes:

Or that's what I teach in my Eng. Lang. classes !!! :lol:

why do you think I read "Hello Sailor"? :lol:

All pants seem to end up just below my belly button anyway... hmmm... unless I buy them really really low, but I don't like that. I actually like the idea of high-waisted pants, because I'm sick of sitting behind a girl at school and seeing her thong, or seeing people's guts hanging out. Then again, I'm tall and have the right proportions for them... I do feel sorry for those who are less comfortable with the change...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefashionfetishist
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->