The Definitive Models of the 2010s

pollyanna90

Reaction score
Remember when Vogue Paris published their definitive models of the 2000s list? Well now we're beginning to reach the last part of our decade and I am wondering who will be looked back upon as being part of the group of models that defined the 2010s. Who do you think would be on that list and why? Here's who I would see being on that list.

Joan Smalls - She was MDC's #1 model in 2012 and although not everyone agreed with that placement IMO she deserved it. Even though so many new models have come and gone since then Joan has somehow always managed to score at least one major blue chip campaign every season. Just when you think she might drift away, she proves she's still relevant and in demand by scoring top notch campaigns and editorials and commercial work. She's been able to balance commercial and high fashion magnificently so I have no doubt she will be one of the most remembered and cherished models of the 2010s.

Edie Campbell - She's been the high fashion queen for the past several years. She's really one of the models to define high fashion of the mid 2010s. She has an unconventional, unique beauty that photographers and designers adore.

Fei Fei Sun - Although she's not as popular as Kendall and Gigi, Fei Fei has definitely stayed blue chip throughout her entire career. Her longevity shows that she has staying power. I really am glad that she didn't fade away after a season or two because she is just so powerful and lovely in editorials. It's no wonder she continues booking prestigious work.

Liu Wen - Although she hasn't had the high fashion success of Joan or Fei Fei, she's still done amazing for herself. She continues to get high profile commercial work and is a strong presence on social media. There's something understated about her beauty that I think photographers and designers like. I do feel that Liu will have her high fashion moment at the end of this decade after focusing on commercial work for the past few years.

Saskia de Brauw - I sort of see Saskia being what Liu is for commercial she is for high fashion. Saskia simply is one of the biggest high fashion girls of the decade. She took Iris Strubegger's spot as the high fashion androgynous girl and has consistently booked top campaigns since her debut.

Anna Ewers - She's no one season wonder. She's continued going strong and although I feel a bit oversaturated by her she's no doubt going to be one of the defining models of the mid 2010s.

Imaan Hammam - While she hasn't had the high fashion ad campaign success I've hoped for so far, her editorial work and covers speak for itself. She's done amazingly well and is a favorite of American Vogue. She's going to have a big moment at some point. I can feel all this editorial and campaign success building up to something grand.

Lineisy Montero - She's credited for bringing in the Dominican model wave. She's still a force to be reckoned with on runways and her editorial work and campaign work has been consistent since her debut.

Vittoria Cerretti - She's no one season wonder and she's proving it by continuing to book great work.

Cara, Gigi, Bella, and Kendall - I don't like them but I have to include them for obvious reasons that I don't like or care to talk about.

Natalie Westling - High fashion and still in demand after several seasons.

Mica Agranarez - Same thing as Natalie Westling.

Jourdan Dunn and Karlie Kloss - They're not getting the high fashion editorial work they used to but they have remained a strong in social media and still get big commercial work.

Arizona Muse - She was one of the defining models of the early part of the decade and has recently made a comeback with an only girl Chanel campaign,

Some other models I could see being included in the list would be Daria Strokous, Andreea D, Amanda Murphy, Binx Walton, Lexi Boling, Kiki W, Adwoa, Irina S, Candice S, Kati Nescher, Aymeline and girls who were working in the 90s and 2000s that I can see being added to the list include Mariacarla, Freja, Raquel, Lara Stone, Natasha Poly, Karmen Pedaru, Anja Rubik, etc.

Who do you think would make the list?

I think Julia Nobis, Vanessa Axente and Constance Jablonski should be on the list as well

Very tough to decide, you have to acknowledge all the greatest of the past 7 years while also predicting who'll have longevity in 2020, which is really what defines a legend. I think all the above choices are right on the money. I think a couple of the choices are a bit premature, but i understand it has to reflect the next three years too.

The biggest name i think that's currently missing is Lindsey Wixson, she's certainly one of the defining models of the decade. I would also consider Miranda because her career in high fashion only really took off in 2010 and she's consistently ranked among the top earning models for years, not to mention a decent social media following.

That´s actually a very accurate list, i´d also include Julia Nobis, the low-key queen of high fashion for sure.

That´s actually a very accurate list, i´d also include Julia Nobis, the low-key queen of high fashion for sure.

Preach. I wouldn't say I ever cared for her "look", but Nobis has been a beast on the high-fashion scene for a while.

How about Maria Borges, Henrieth Paul for sommercial especially and also Candice

The girls who achieved both HF and commercial success: Karlie Kloss, Joan Smalls, Cara Delevingne (the original insta model), Liu Wen, Lara Stone

The HF queens: Julia Nobis, Abby Lee Kershaw, Edie Campbell, Fei Fei Sun, Arizona Muse, Anna Ewers

The VS girls who managed to break into HF during the 2010s: Adriana Lima, Candice S, Miranda Kerr

Too early to tell: Imaan Hammam, Mica, Lexi Boling, Vittoria Ceretti, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid

I would also include Magdalena and Hanne Gaby, who both don't have the most impressive portfolio of work, but who have had amazing consistency and longevity for the past 11 years.

Stone, Frackowiak and Odiele are 2000s models
And Kershaw has zero big 4 Vogue covers to be in the list

Stone, Frackowiak and Odiele are 2000s models
And Kershaw has zero big 4 Vogue covers to be in the list

I think that 2000s models can still make the list. Hanne Gaby didn't really blow up until the 2010s. Yes, she was doing great in high fashion from 2008-2009 but she didn't get her name out there until afterward. Stone has been consistently booking big jobs throughout the 2010s and 2010 was the year she became MDC's #1 model I believe. I think that models who came in the 2000s can still be considered to be part of the "best of" list for the 2010s.

I've been thinking that other models who should be included on the list would be Jamie Bochert. While she's not a super social media star she is still sort of the indie/alternative queen of the high fashion scene. Although she debuted in the 2000s she didn't really hit it big until her only girl Lanvin campaign in 2010 put her on the map and elevated her career.

Last edited by a moderator:
The girls who achieved both HF and commercial success: Karlie Kloss, Joan Smalls, Cara Delevingne (the original insta model), Liu Wen, Lara Stone

The HF queens: Julia Nobis, Abby Lee Kershaw, Edie Campbell, Fei Fei Sun, Arizona Muse, Anna Ewers

The VS girls who managed to break into HF during the 2010s: Adriana Lima, Candice S, Miranda Kerr

Too early to tell: Imaan Hammam, Mica, Lexi Boling, Vittoria Ceretti, Kendall Jenner, Gigi Hadid

Is it really? They're damn near ubiquitous. It's hard for me to imagine a list being made without mentioning them. There's also the tie-in with the importance of the K-clan in the larger culture (God help us).

Is it really? They're damn near ubiquitous. It's hard for me to imagine a list being made without mentioning them. There's also the tie-in with the importance of the K-clan in the larger culture (God help us).

I agree, but I wrote that because Gigi only started being everywhere in the beginning of 2015 (so that's only 2 years or so) and Kendall in 2014, but she's already not booking as much as she used too. Let's see how their careers evolve until 2020 to judge. I'm sure Gigi will still be big, Kendall not so sure. She's quite a controversial figure now (see Pepsi and her last Adidas campaign) and I don't think her few supporters in the industry will be behind her forever.

Hanne Gaby didn't really blow up until the 2010s.

Hanne Gaby never blew up. She never had much support from anyone apart from a few "friends" in the industry but even that never led to anything until very recently.

My list (in alphabetical order:(

-Anna Ewers (today's Kate Moss/Lara Stone hybrid. She is the top HF model of today)

-Arizona Muse (She blew up so quickly & was the it girl in the early 2010s. She isn't as in demand today, but her impact in the beginning keeps her on this list)

-Bella Hadid (insta girl)

-Binx Walton (I credit Binx over Lineisy for starting the quirky light skinned black model movement)

-Candice Swanepoel (everyone is saying that Miranda belongs on this list, but when I think of the quintessential VS angel of the 2010s, I think of Candice. She has become a household name)

-Cara Delevingne (started the insta model movement)

-Edie Campbell (the nepotism model that turned the stigma around for certain nep-girls. She has been a staple in the HF scene for years now)

-Fei Fei Sun (the most successful HF asian model of all time so far. Iconic)

-Gigi Hadid (insta girl)

-Joan Smalls (Her & Karlie probably have the strongest versatile resumes on this list. A true supermodel)

-Jourdan Dunn (Her resume is not the strongest, but she has a very strong social media following & was a runway girl for years)

-Julia Nobis (the true definition of a sleeper supermodel. She was basically a filler for years until she just blew up out of nowhere. If I had to give the HF queen crown to one girl, it would be her)

-Karlie Kloss (Probably the most overall successful model of the 2010s. The most Vogue covers, Galliano darling, VS Angel, etc. She has also pretty much defined American Vogue since 2009 & onward)

-Karmen Pedaru (she was the early 2010s definition of HF sexy. Her MK & Gucci ads were everywhere)

-Kendall Jenner (insta girl)

-Lexi Boling (she had like 10 huge campaigns in one season, & still does well today. She is somewhat responsible for reviving the heroine chic era)

-Liu Wen (the most successful commercial asian model of all time. She is a household name in China)

-Mica Arganaraz (she is the Argentinian version of Freja. She is every designers muse)

-Natalie Westling (the modern day cool girl. She has consistently booked HF work since she debuted & hasn't stopped)

-Saskia de Brauw (the androgynous girl of the decade. She has broken so many boundaries, starting in her late 20s & having such a long HF resume.)

-Vittoria Cerretti (she is the current Arizona Muse. An insane amount of hype, but I think she will stick around

Girls that barely miss the cut for me: Abbey Lee, Amanda Murphy, Andreea Diaconu, Ashley Graham, Aymeline Vilade, Behati Prinsloo, Constance Jablonski, Daphne Groeneveld, Daria Strokous, Jac Jacagiak, Lindsey Wixson, Miranda Kerr, Irina Shayk, Suvi Koponen, Vanessa Axente

Potential future icons: Adwoah Aboah, Birgit Kos, Cara Taylor, Faretta, Grace Elizabeth, Grace Hartzel, He Cong, Imaan Hammam, Julia Bergshoeff, Kiki Willems, Kris Grikaite, Lineisy Monteiro, Luna Bijl, Rianne van Rompaey, Taylor Hill

By a long shot, possibly: Ellen Rosa, Karly Loyce, Leila Goldkuhl, Lulu, Sara Grace, Selena Forrest, Yasmin Wijnaldum

Hanne Gaby never blew up. She never had much support from anyone apart from a few "friends" in the industry but even that never led to anything until very recently.

This reminds me that there should be at least one gender-atypical model on the list ... who it should be, I'm not sure, and perhaps too soon to say. Hanne? Hari Nef? Andreja Pejic?

Do you really need to respond with a negative comment about her in every single thread possible? You have been doing it for years. Whether you like her or not, she has had a solid runway career for eleven years. Most girls can barely make it past two or three seasons. She may not have the most covers or campaigns, but many runway girls would love to be able to model for that long a time. Not many of those runway girls have the career that lets them buy two NYC apartments in the space of a few years.

She's achieved more than so many models ever will. She's walked season after season for top tier designers. She might not be at Mariacarla, Joan or Lara Stone's level but she's definitely been prominent in the 2010s. While girls have come and gone throughout the past several years, she's been pretty consistently getting great work. That's more than just a 'few "friends"' supporting her.

This reminds me that there should be at least one gender-atypical model on the list ... who it should be, I'm not sure, and perhaps too soon to say. Hanne? Hari Nef? Andreja Pejic?

I think Andreja for sure. She was the first transgender model in American Vogue, I believe? And back when she was known as Andrej, she certainly made an impact on the industry.

my list.. I've categorised them

"Insta-girls"
Kendall, Gigi, Bella, Taylor

Hf girls who achieved public recognition:
Karlie, Cara, Joan

Pre-Instagram VS girls:
Behati, Miranda, Rosie HW, Candice

Models who challenged the status quo
Ashley Graham, Andreja Pejic, Hari Nef, Kate Upton, Lindsey Wixson, Lineisy, Kati Nescher, Chanel Iman, Jourdan Dunn, Cameron Russell, Saskia De Brauw, Liu Wen, Adowa

HF industry muses (at one time or another:(
Abbey Lee
Andreea
Arizona
Anna Ewers
Aymeline
Constance
Daria Strokous
Edie Campbell
Edita
Hanne Gaby
Imaan