The Most Underrated & Most Overrated Photographers

ialmrnt5

Reaction score
Underrated :

Marcus Ohlsson, I've started to like him after his Velvet spread w/ Lonneke, he is much more talented than a lot of other fashion photographer out there who are more successful than him.

velvet-strand-06.jpg

10667.jpg

{lundlund}

Overrated :

Juergen Teller, his images aren't very good in terms of fashion photography, I love them they just aren't good at selling clothes I don't think- he should stick to books, & some of his blurry work bothers me.

Overrated

1 - Steven Meisel,amazing and spectacular but he doesn't have a signature style, everything is like copied from others.

2 - Ellen Von Unwerth, Helmut Newton wannabe.

3 - Mario Testino, he has certain talent but not as to be a master of the photography like Avedon or Penn.

4 - Mert & Marcus, without all that photoshop and software what we have? nothing relevant.

Underrated

1 - Matthew Rolston2 - Philipp Dixon

Underrated :
Marcus Ohlsson, I've started to like him after his Velvet spread w/ Lonneke, he is much more talented than a lot of other fashion photographer out there who are more successful than him.

Hans Feurer has been shooting pictures like that since the 70's.

--------

here a big list of underrated photographers made by AMERICAN PHOTO Magazine, includes Chris von Wangenheim, Denis Piel, Matthew Rolston, Bill King, Alex Chatelain ...

http://www.popphoto.com/americanphotofeatures/3191/underrated-masters-of-photography.html

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Oooh I loved his spread w/ Erin Wasson for Vogue Paris, the punk looking one. Did he die? I never see his work in mags anymore.

Overrated - [SIZE=-1]David LaChapelle. I dislike his photography so much. Tacky.[/SIZE]

^oi, me too. :ninja:
what bothers me is that he's really believed to be like the king of fashion photography among people who are not that into fashion, my cousin's girlfriend was studying fashion design in San Diego and I remember her saying that David LaChapelle was what fashion is all about. :blink:
I guess it's that super glossy, I'm-so-original-by-shooting-couture-and-extravagant-makeup-in-the-middle-of-a-supermarket/old factory/etc line of work what annoys me the most about other photographers like David, Meisel and Mert and Marcus.. it feels so passé yet everyone keeps them on high regard for some reason. :wacko:

I don't know much about the underrated, I'd love to see Vanina Sorrenti working more on big publications, same for Bettina Komanda and Will Davidson, Ola Rindal.. Carlotta Manaigo.. :heart:

Manaigo.
manaigo5.jpg

manaigo4.jpg

manaigo54.jpg

rindal.
underrated1jv5.jpg

will davidson.
davidson1qo5.jpg

Camille Vivier.
colettebg1.jpg

[willdavidson.com/olarindal.com/birdproduction/carlottamanaigo.com]

two more that I consider to be 'underrated'. :blush:

jan welters.
underrated2kg6.jpg

vivianne sassen.
sassen1me0.jpg

[scanned by glósóli/managementartists]

Overrated : Camilla Akrans...
she's doing good photos but everything is taken from M&M... who are genius, to me... as Steven Meisel is...

Underrated : David Bailey... we always talk about Bourdin and Newton, but Bailey was a genius, too, in his time...

Underrated: Jeffrey Graetsch. He did the latest Plastique with Katarina Ivanovska that I thought was so beautiful. It was almost like a Halo videogame theme but so soft.

Underrated : David Bailey... we always talk about Bourdin and Newton, but Bailey was a genius, too, in his time...
Interesting...I'd say his work outside of the 60's is very underrated...he tends to be spoken of as a 60's photographer.

^oi, me too. :ninja:
what bothers me is that he's really believed to be like the king of fashion photography among people who are not that into fashion, my cousin's girlfriend was studying fashion design in San Diego and I remember her saying that David LaChapelle was what fashion is all about. :blink:
[willdavidson.com/olarindal.com/birdproduction/carlottamanaigo.com]

I don't like LaChapelle' work but the man has his own signature style, that's what is important in fashion photography to be relevant, in 20, 30 years people will be remembering his pictures 'cause they are identifibale.

I don't know if David LaChapelle is what fashion is all about, maybe not, but he is what photography is about. ^_^

I don't like LaChapelle' work but the man has his own signature style, that's what is important in fashion photography to be relevant, in 20, 30 years people will be remembering his pictures 'cause they are identifibale.

I don't know if David LaChapelle is what fashion is all about, maybe not, but he is what photography is about. ^_^

Well said, Joseph! I agree. And I don't love his work either ... but I sure do know it when I see the "LaChapelle style". And therefore, it's realevent.

Overrated:

Juregen Teller (Overall I think he’s great, but his fashion photography just keeps reminding me of the story of the Emperor’s New Clothes...)

Patrick Demarchelier = lazy. When he tries, he can be great, but I feel like he’s just been phoning it in for the past 10 years.

Greg Kadel leaves me cold.

Steve Hiett… How is it possible that this guy still shoots Italian Vogue almost every single month… ???

Nick Knight: He’s such an insider that I feel like everybody thinks he can do no wrong. A lot of the stories he’s shooting these days are just not that strong. Sometimes great, but usually not.

David Bailey: not that I ever think about him, ever, but how many photos do we have to see against a gray or white background with one light on the subject from the side? And has he ever bothered to shoot color?

Underrated… ? Well, I don’t see too many people out there who are really underrated. There are a ton of great fashion photographers out there, and if someone is really that great, they are working, for sure.

Overrated-TERRY RICHARDSON
He just captures breasts and vaginas. It's not sexy, but used and boring. He needs to capture sensuality and let it shine through. It's easy to just capture what's right in front of you, but he just cannot grasp the fact that it doesn't work to capture something so provocative all the time and it just cheapens him.

Overrated-CAMILLA AKRANS
Her stuff are ethereal, but air-brushed and her work just reflects Mert and Marcus...

Inez & Vinoodh, I'm always annoyed everytime that I see their portraits, they are constantly copying the style of Richard Avedon, all their work for The New Yorker are Avedons wannabes. :yuk: they should develop their own style.

60's Gloria Vanderbilt by Avedon from butterflyblackblogspot.com
2007 Shalom Harlow by I&V scanned by Originalsin

^ and now it results that not only Avedon is being copied by I&V, there's another "inspiration" in the Hans Feurer thread

Vogue Paris March 1975 by Hans Feurer
Cesare Paciotti 2007
by I&V

vogue.fr & cesare-paciotti.com

^ But Avedon is the ultimate master of photography, when Meisel or Inez & Vinoodh copy him I think its ok because it is like they are paying tribute to him by taking inspiration from his work which they grew up on. My favorite work of Meisel is when he takes inspiration from Avedon.

AAC29086.jpg
AAC28946.jpg
AAC28929.jpg

{art&commerce}

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"