The Most Underrated & Most Overrated Photographers

^ and now it results that not only Avedon is being copied by I&V, there's another "inspiration" in the Hans Feurer thread
Every single fashion shoot that ever happens has some sort of inspiration or reference in mind. Sometimes the end product bears stronger ties to the inspiration, sometimes it doesn't. These happen to be closely linked.

Every single fashion shoot that ever happens has some sort of inspiration or reference in mind. Sometimes the end product bears stronger ties to the inspiration, sometimes it doesn't. These happen to be closely linked.

Inspiration and reference is one thing, blatant copying is another...the I&V shot is almost identical to the Hans Fuerer shot.

^ But Avedon is the ultimate master of photography, when Meisel or Inez & Vinoodh copy him I think its ok because it is like they are paying tribute to him by taking inspiration from his work which they grew up on. My favorite work of Meisel is when he takes inspiration from Avedon. {art&commerce}

I understand that, but when they are constantly taking inspiration from others they are also seen like copycats, it's not right for professionals like Meisel or I&V, I have read a lot of comments by young people where they write how AWESOME Meisel is, that I&V are the best photographeres ever, that's the moment where they started to be overrated 'cause that young people don't know the facts, they have never seen the work of Avedon 'cause he's not of their generation. that's what annoys me. :huh:

Sorry, Meisel is amazing.

yeah, he's an AMAZING photographer but it doesn't mean that he's that original.

don't you remember this song? :D

"You got to
You got to

Come original you got to come original
All entertainers come original
You got to come original you got to come original
All entertainers
Hear why
To come original it aint nothin strange
You got to represent you got come full range

Full range of emotion full range of styles...."

I mean, in terms of photography everything has already been done, even 60's photographers like Penn or Avedon took inspiration from old art, but it doesn't matter, you can even create your old signature style, certain pose, certain angle, certain element characteristic of your pictures.

Some people think that having a signature style is boring but that's what makes them real artists, if you get bored of a photographer try another one.

examples of artists with signature style? Avedon, Penn, Hurrel, Lindbergh, Weber, Ritts, Lachapelle, Richardson, Teller, Newton, Bourdin, Scavullo, Leibovitz ..........

Leibovitz has a style? Like girls in poofy gown in castles. Sorry my art teacher spent all last year hyping her up right at the time I was really looking into Meisel & Avedon's work- I really just don't get how Annie Leibovitz has become like the greatest photographer of our century, she takes great portraits but her fashion photos aren't my favorites.

I think Meisel is very original in my opinion, in some pictorials his work is reminiscent of Avedon but I love that.

^ I agree with you that Leibovitz isn't really one of the greatest photographers of our century, her photographs (especially fashion photos) really just bores me and isn't that attractive or beautiful, a photographer having his/her own style isn't really about being repetitive.

Meisel isn't one of my favorite photographers but he takes much more interesting photos than Leibovitz, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
one important thing to know is that if you guys don't like certain photographer it doesn't mean he/she is overrated.

I'm not also a fan of Leibovitz but I recognize her style in 3 seconds, she really has a style, and in my opinion, after Avedon, she's the greatest, all her history with Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, Vogue ...... she's a legend of legends, the career of Meisel is not even the 50% what Leibovitz has done.

and I prefer the work of Meisel over Leibovitz, but the facts are the facts ^_^

^ sorry, I'm not saying she's overrated simply because I don't like her.

I think Annie Leibovitz appears to have her own style because her fashion photos looks all the same, like a girl in some enormous gown in castles etc., as ialmrnt5 said. I know she is called a legend, but imho it's because of her celebrity portraits, not her fashion photographs which is really boring, repetitive, and "spectacular" in a really bad way.

I think Annie Leibovitz appears to have her own style because her fashion photos looks all the same, like a girl in some enormous gown in castles etc., as

yeah, and it's the same with Peter Lindbergh, some ones complain about his "boring" b&w pics, and the same with Bruce Weber, Terry R and Teller, that 's called trademark style, if anyone get bored try another photographer and that's it. editors know what they are going to get if they hire certain photographers. ^_^

The photos ialmrnt5 are beautiful. Meisel never fails. :flower:

i'd love to see more of koto bolofo
there certainly are references to other artists but i love what he does
i think it's beautiful

yeah, and it's the same with Peter Lindbergh, some ones complain about his "boring" b&w pics, and the same with Bruce Weber, Terry R and Teller, that 's called trademark style, if anyone get bored try another photographer and that's it. editors know what they are going to get if they hire certain photographers. ^_^
When shooting a new editorial, all photographers you mentioned above not only changes the model and the outfit, but concepts it or even try a new, different style. In short their photos does not look "all the same". I think that is the difference between them.

If it's fine with photos looking all the same, why bother shooting a new editoral, instead of pasting a new dress over a model's body using computer graphics? Because it doesn't look so perfect?

Is my English good enough? Sorry if not... :blush:

Last edited by a moderator:
why bother shooting a new editoral, instead of pasting a new dress over a model's body using computer graphics? Because it doesn't look so perfect?

OMG, poor Meisel :(:shock: if we do that with every picture that Meisel has xeroxed his work would be reduced to NOTHING! :ninja:

i think merht and markus are getting too many mentions here as over-rated.....they d photoshop their work alot, but who doesnt? take their photoshop away and u still have stunning images that are constantly taking fashion somewhere away from 'a girl standing in a studio'. if u think what they do is easy, try it.

i think merht and markus are getting too many mentions here as over-rated.....they d photoshop their work alot, but who doesnt? take their photoshop away and u still have stunning images that are constantly taking fashion somewhere away from 'a girl standing in a studio'. if u think what they do is easy, try it.

they are also copycats, worst yet, they are the copy of the copy 'cause they copy Meisel! how ironic!

courtmmthumbzh6.jpg

^ :unsure:

Underrated: Itaysha Jordan. She shoot new faces for NEXT, Supreme, Trump, etc.

overrated
Terry Richardson
Mert & Marcus
Demarchelier
David Sims

underrated
basically all the photographers Mulletproof mentioned :P, especially Viviane Sassen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanEscher
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->