The 'Outfit Look-Alikes' Thread

Those aren’t new to us here but I think a lot of people got things confused.
Fashion only matters with context. You don’t just take look 54 to compare to look 10 from a 1971 collection or whatever…

‘I think the video misses something about the aesthetic, the language and the taste of designers. Everybody copies.
The only real inventors of fashion are those who invented techniques or new ways to approach fabrics. A lot of great designers had maybe one real new idea they invented but that’s it…

‘I feel like the Diet Prada culture has made it « terrible » to copy when that’s not the issue.

Zuhair Murad and Proenza Schouler are the bottom of the barrel in terms of copy because nothing is original in their work. Zuhair was clever because he only copies in his lane. But when you look at their body of work, their contribution to fashion is non existent.

However, Phoebe, RAF and JWA contributed a great deal in modern fashion.
While I don’t think that Raf’s voice matter anymore, the same cannot be said about the 2 others.

Those aren’t new to us here but I think a lot of people got things confused.
Fashion only matters with context. You don’t just take look 54 to compare to look 10 from a 1971 collection or whatever…

‘I think the video misses something about the aesthetic, the language and the taste of designers. Everybody copies.
The only real inventors of fashion are those who invented techniques or new ways to approach fabrics. A lot of great designers had maybe one real new idea they invented but that’s it…

‘I feel like the Diet Prada culture has made it « terrible » to copy when that’s not the issue.

Zuhair Murad and Proenza Schouler are the bottom of the barrel in terms of copy because nothing is original in their work. Zuhair was clever because he only copies in his lane. But when you look at their body of work, their contribution to fashion is non existent.

However, Phoebe, RAF and JWA contributed a great deal in modern fashion.
While I don’t think that Raf’s voice matter anymore, the same cannot be said about the 2 others.

I think the problem nowadays is how blatantly everything is copied. In the past designers referenced other designers work; but instead of making carbon-copies of it they made their own interpretation of it, through their own lenses.

For example, let´s remember Gucci F/W 1996-97. Tom was in love with Halston and Peretti work, it was obvious...but what he presented was no literal copies of their work. It was Tom idea of other´s people work (and you could tell he loved Halston work, just by looking at that appasionate collection).

Now JW Anderson has to make a new collection. He is in a rush, he sees Sybilla´s pic of a late 80s coat. He makes a copy of it just to add another filler to his new collection; along with other designers rip-offs. No love and passion for Sybilla here. No love for fashion at all. Just merchandise to show.

I think the problem nowadays is how blatantly everything is copied. In the past designers referenced other designers work; but instead of making carbon-copies of it they made their own interpretation of it, through their own lenses.

For example, let´s remember Gucci F/W 1996-97. Tom was in love with Halston and Peretti work, it was obvious...but what he presented was no literal copies of their work. It was Tom idea of other´s people work (and you could tell he loved Halston work, just by looking at that appasionate collection).

Now JW Anderson has to make a new collection. He is in a rush, he sees Sybilla´s pic of a late 80s coat. He makes a copy of it just to add another filler to his new collection; along with other designers rip-offs. No love and passion for Sybilla here. No love for fashion at all. Just merchandise to show.
I get it…The sense of lineage.
Tom did direct copies too but at the same time it made sense with his design aesthetic…

I get what you are saying about JWA even if I love his work.
Talking about him, in one of his earlier Loewe collection, he copied a Karl for Chloe design. Very direct copy…
I was surprised to see him make a bad inspiration of Karl’s first collection for Chanel when he did a far better copy of his Chloe.

Yes maybe there’s a sense of curation rather than base for design.

I’ve always been fascinated by the copies of Nicolas Ghesquiere for example.

My favorite are ultimately those who copied masters of Couture or Historical costumes. That’s why I enjoyed Karl’s work so much…In one collection he can reference 18th century and throw a Cristobal Balenciaga silhouette.

I must say that the « mood board » culture has made people lazy.

KRIZIA TOP FW2008 - Louis Vuitton Resort 2024
kriziafallwinter2008sequinflowerpailetteskirt_500x.jpg
00017-louis-vuitton-resort-2024-credit-gorunway.jpg

amarcordvintagefashion.com / vogue runway

David Koma Pre-Fall ‘23 vs. Lapointe Resort ‘24
(obviously not identical but I immediately thought of this David Koma)
IMG_9080.jpeg IMG_9084.jpeg
vogue

Australian designers have no shame

00003-saint-laurent-spring-2023-ready-to-wear-credit-gorunway.jpg
884aaed8bdd69016b6b9d05daf02695c

Saint Laurent S23, vogue.com / Henne R24, vogue.com.au

00001-ann-demeulemeester-fall-2023-ready-to-wear-credit-gorunway.jpg
3da066d8cc2f43deede16c83dd86943e

Ann Demeulemeester F23, vogue.com / St Agni R24 vogue.com.au
Usually we're 3-4 seasons behind on the copy-cat looks, but nice to see that we've caught up and are roughly 1 season behind the rest :grinningwsweat: Maybe there is a bit of hope for the Australian fashion scene...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->