Thomas Engel Hart takes over Mugler Homme

Spacemiu

Reaction score
Fashion house Thierry Mugler has new menswear designer
13th January 2005
spacer.gif

US designer Thomas Engel Hart has been named as design chief for menswear at French fashion house Thierry Mugler.

Engel Hart, who has his own collection, replaces Luc Testu, who has been in charge of the Thierry Mugler Homme line for ten years.

The collection, which is produced by Italian clothing maker Tombolini, will be expanded to include sportswear.

Thomas is great, Im intrested to see this.

Much better. I never liked this guy's work that was there. Maybe it will also increase some popularity with his own stuff?

I can't say I'm a big fan of Thomas, but I hope it works out for him. Best of luck to him.

Spacemiu said:
Thomas is great, Im intrested to see this.

Certainly interesting .:wink:

Jean Luc Testu certainly maintained the soviet military superman in uniform shape that Thierry Mugler prescribed in the glory days of 80's Montana/ Mugler/Alaia .

Never bought any Mugler , however .:blush:

The cothes will certainly be different , as I thought that Thomas Engel Hart was a ' nouveau preppy ' designer .

Still it will make a nice contrast to the Catons' Chelsea hustler schtick !!!:yuk:

mugler homme is still in business...??? :shock:

softgrey said:

Only the men's line that was bought by Tombolini , relying on the fact that the men's perfumes , retained by Clarins , will give the line some prominence .

i vaguely remember that now...i had forgotten...
thanks for the reminder kit... :P

softgrey said:
Yes, scary isn't it? Meanwhile, my most recent memories of Thierry himself were of him buying Raymond Dragon lycra wear...

Engel Hart is inconsistent, as far as I've seen. I have one piece by him that gets me compliments every time I wear it, but I haven't seen any subsequent collections (or even items) that I've wanted to purchase. Perhaps similarly telling is the fact that Atelier carried him one season, but decided not to the next (even if Jojo still wants to buy my TEH pants offa me! :wink:) Perhaps working for a house with a particular image will focus him more.

I wonder what Thierry himself is up to? Is he even still in fashion? Seems like his perfumes still make use of his photography...

Last edited by a moderator:
baklanyc said:
I wonder what Thierry himself is up to? Is he even still in fashion? Seems like his perfumes still make use of his photography...

Last I heard he was designing the costumes for Cirque du Soleil's new "sexy" show in Las Vegas.

Yes: http://entertainmentdesignmag.com/mag/show_business_peep_show/ (article is from 2003)

Provocative French fashion designer Thierry Mugler, who was originally a dancer, made his Cirque du Soleil debut as costume designer for Zumanity. His costumes are evocative, from sexy black dresses and bodices for the cross-dressing mistress of seduction, Joey Arias, to topless dancers, bondage gear, bejeweled jockstraps, fur, and feathers. Even the ushers are in suggestive Mugler originals (washboard abs on t-shirts for the men and bikini tops and bottoms on dresses for the women). Stephano Canulli, Eleni Uranis, Francine Desrosiers, and Guy Brassard worked as assistants to Mugler.

“The costumes were all made at Cirque du Soleil's ateliers in Montreal,” explains Jack Ricks, head of wardrobe for Zumanity. “We had very detailed sketches and worked very closely with Thierry to recreate his exact designs to fabric.” In fact, they scoured the world for the best possible materials, from silk and lace in Paris to gloves in Portugal. “There is a real sense of luxury to the show,” says Ricks. “There is no full nudity but many of the women are topless.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite honestly,I haven't seen much of Thomas' work lately. I know for a while there,I wasn't at all keen on his redneck aesthetic. But he was capable of doing good pieces now and again,though.

thanks atelier...
that's very interesting to me...sounds very appropriate for mugler...right up his alley...
many of his clothes were really costumes anyway...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcad1947
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->