Tokyo Midtown

two months off, they produce new pins/brooches every season and these are the latest ones if you are interested.

mina-perhonen.jp

Attachments

• mpss2015.jpg
    mpss2015.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 1
glad you like the bar softgrey

so pleats please is already particular in fabric and then it comes in an item which you are not so accustomed to.
double particularity might not be neccessary.
it has to be something you can wear with fun.

how about trying some of those "monthly colors" posted elsewhere ?
they are to be for sale tomorrow (over here at least).

monthly colors representing soil, dust and building murals in a heather pattern. a folding technique is used for the collar and hems to produce a sharp look.

isseymiyake.com

Attachments

• GS03_PL_MC_MARCH.jpg
    GS03_PL_MC_MARCH.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 2
found this stuff from haat

oya necklaces produced using turkey's traditional oya crochet technique. these necklaces were made using turkish igne embroidery needles.

store.elttobtep.com

Attachments

• HA43AK061_5215_02_large.jpg
    HA43AK061_5215_02_large.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 3
  • HA43AK060_5219_02_large.jpg
    HA43AK060_5219_02_large.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HA43AK060_5299_02_large.jpg
    HA43AK060_5299_02_large.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 4
those necklaces are incredibly delicate...
for some reason, i feel like tying one in my hair...
^_^...

i LOVE the heathered pattern in those tops you posted runner...
thanks for those pics...

i watched a film on youtube the other day that shows the way that pleats please is formed by various folding and heating techniques...
it is excellent...
i began thinking that we need a thread in D&C that is all about ISSEY and his whole company and all his collaborators ...

i have tried several very basic pleats please items over the years and the basics don't really work...that is the problem...
they are all quite vertical and straight...
which isn't always great if you have curves...
i think that in order to wear it, i would have to be brave enough to try the more sculptural pieces...
the ones with more volume seem to be the ones that would suit me most...
and those are the best things anyway...
:P

that jumpsuit seems less ridiculous every day...
i seem to be getting used to the idea...
:innocent:

thanks for the pics of the mina (butterflies)
i wish that they would do something in wood or enamel or crochet...
something with a bit more 'presence'...
those are lovely but just very very soft...
i imagine them worn on a floral dress with a straw hat...
very sweet...but not my style...
:lol:...

^ here are pleats please and mina perhonen for you

2121designsight
minaperhonen

Attachments

• mp2.jpg
    mp2.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 2
  • mp1.jpg
    mp1.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 4
  • Seaweedjpg.jpg
    Seaweedjpg.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
in those department stores basement food spaces you'd find a corner called kakiyasu dining, and there has been my fave dish named "white salad of cream cheese and potato". basically mashed potatoes but more snowy and more light and dry in texture. but they just dropped it somehow. hope it's a temporary phenomenon there.
if they are not making it any more, I have to make it myself. experiment and figure out what make it so special and heavenly. cream cheese/potatoes proportion etc.

tobelog

Attachments

• 640x640_rect_33454640.jpg
    640x640_rect_33454640.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 2
:clap:
thank you runner...!!!

ha!---welcome to my world---
where everything i like gets discontinued or goes out of business!!!
:judge:

that potato dish looks odd but it sounds quite good...
looks like there are a lot of sliced onions in it?
is there maybe also cabbage?

i've had to do the same thing more than once and they are still some of my fave dishes...
i think you can figure it out...
go for it!
:muscles:

yes sliced onions but without cabbage
thanks captain so I tried making it since it's basically simple and it's about proportions I guess.
the result was good and felt rather close, but probably I should add more cream cheese next time. still not sure if they had used a bit of mayo there.

btw, there used to be a fashion magazine named olive whose target was high school and junior high school girls, therefore whose underlying theme was cheap chic. thrift shop mens/oversized balmacaan/raincoat occasionally mixed with what was called "DC brands" (designers and characters brands), etc. generally students had less money than today and they didn't have uniqlo yet, so the importance of styling ingenuity seemed to be the enlightening point there. anyway they revived the mag only as one special issue the other day. and there was an article about it in the asahi with the rare image from the issue of 1983. just posting it as I thought you might be interested. their fantasy there was french schoolgirls even though the real french ones in those days might never have looked like that and were mainly dressed like american girls. the other image is the cover of that latest special issue.

asahi

Attachments

• AS2015022200018.jpg
    AS2015022200018.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7
  • AS20150319002671_commL.jpg
    AS20150319002671_commL.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 65
"issey miyake marunouchi" by yoshioka tokujin, which is to be open soon, april 4

isseymiyakemarunouchi0323_01.jpg

fashionpress

yes sliced onions but without cabbage
thanks captain so I tried making it since it's basically simple and it's about proportions I guess.
the result was good and felt rather close, but probably I should add more cream cheese next time. still not sure if they had used a bit of mayo there.

asahi

yay...!!! sasuga runner!
:clap:

btw-
if i were to guess i would say yes on adding some mayo...
i see it used a lot in japanese salads and all potato salads in general...

help-
what the heck is Katakuriko?
:blink:
it must be some potato or corn starch, right...?
some thickening agent is my guess...

btw, there used to be a fashion magazine named olive whose target was high school and junior high school girls, therefore whose underlying theme was cheap chic. thrift shop mens/oversized balmacaan/raincoat occasionally mixed with what was called "DC brands" (designers and characters brands), etc. generally students had less money than today and they didn't have uniqlo yet, so the importance of styling ingenuity seemed to be the enlightening point there. anyway they revived the mag only as one special issue the other day. and there was an article about it in the asahi with the rare image from the issue of 1983. just posting it as I thought you might be interested. their fantasy there was french schoolgirls even though the real french ones in those days might never have looked like that and were mainly dressed like american girls. the other image is the cover of that latest special issue.

asahi

ahhh!
domo arigato for the cool pic from 1983...
that was a great year for fashion!
i like the idea of magazines styling stories mixing high and low with some vintage here and there...
i feel like that definitely used to happen more often...
it was so much more interesting and inspiring- for both the magazine editor and the reader...

i'm sure those old issues must be really fun...
:D

i have to say- in those days i remember wearing a lot of french and other european brands myself...
esprit, ton sur ton, naf naf, girbaud, benetton, warehouse, french connection, mexx
the french stuff was usually the coolest and the most expensive...
maybe we all wanted to be a little french...
:rolleyes::P...

i love the name olive for a magazine...
there is also a british cooking mag with that name...
it has a nice ring to it...and it looks nice...
it's a good word...
olive...
:heart:

what the heck is Katakuriko?
:blink:
it must be some potato or corn starch, right...?
some thickening agent is my guess...

yes katakuriko is basically potato starch. at least the one we currently see at the shops is mostly potato starch. but originally it was from an other plant named tatakuri ( ko is powder, hence tatakuri-ko ). potato is much more easily available than tatakuri today. anyway yes it is often used for the thickening effect we call toromi.

you ate kuzu-kiri in ginza. it is made of kuzu starch. kuzu-ko too is used for toromi, but it is more difficult to extract and is higher in quality (health/medicine, smoothness, beauty/clarity, etc) therefore more costly. it is treated as something a bit precious. so only serious restaurants and authentic places for sweets would use pure kuzu-ko.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kuzuko

Yeah I just use cornstarch for katakuriko.

OLIVE!!! Oh wow...completely forgotten childhood memories...I remember when I was around 10 or 11 I was inspired by street urchins...thigh-high stripey Raggedy-Ann socks, lace-up leather booties and wool knickerbockers and a newsboy hat or beret or bowler...and a cotton Peter Pan collar blouse...but always with my very long messy hair...(those were the days...I wouldn't feel comfortable dressed as an urchin now...even though I sometimes feel like one!)

how I'd love to see Otonano Olive now!

The Haat necklaces are adorable.

Thx Runner

oh gosh M...
that sounds A-dorable~!
sounds a bit like oliver twist meets cabaret...
:woot:

reminds me of Seventeen magazine...
except we had a decidedly american twist to the look, putting a loose tie and vest with the knickers worn with argyle socks, not striped...
oliver twist meets annie hall, i guess...
^_^...

you must have looked so cool!
:cool:

thanks for explaining about the katakuriko runner...
there is definitely a difference in the thickening effect...
so i wound up using corn starch...
it was good...

oh gosh M...
that sounds A-dorable~!
sounds a bit like oliver twist meets cabaret...

reminds me of Seventeen magazine...
except we had a decidedly american twist to the look, putting a loose tie and vest with the knickers worn with argyle socks, not striped...
oliver twist meets annie hall, i guess...
^_^...

you must have looked so cool!
:cool:

Aww thanks so much Softie! :blush::heart:

Ahh Seventeen!! How I loved those...Yes that's a good point, I never got into the men's ties and argyle socks though I remember borrowing my grandfather's vest...and trousers and jacket too!:P Another favorite twist was wearing the look with a frilly cotton blouse for a girlish touch. Not that many people wore stripey socks in Japan either I don't think...I remember saving up for them and feeling so proud of them...I still have similar ones in red and white that I wear!!

Oliver Twist meets Cabaret--now there's a stylish thought...:heart:

Kuzukiri...mmmm delicious...craving really nice Japanese sweets, but Toraya is closed for renovation for another few months...

the explanation was a bit messy but anyway I wanted to say what is sold under the name of katakuriko today is mostly potato starch, in spite of its name containing the word katakuri. maybe it's similar to coca cola.

speaking of beverage, though I don't know if something like pocari sweat is popular over there, I liked their TV commercials this winter, especially because of the styling. in the late 80's when the DC brand boom was over, we came to see that kind of look on the streets and campus frequently. that is, the age of shibuya had succeeded the age of harajuku ( yes there was a certain period harajuku was completely dead. you could also say it was when the cool, dry actresses like atsuko asano replaced the pretty idol singers ). it was more of evergreen, practical, or sort of natural clothing. it's that thing called teiban.

stylist here makiko fujii

sec_01_gr_thumb_03.png

pocarisweat.jp

screenshot from the commercial

Attachments

• pocari.jpg
    pocari.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 0
Aww thanks so much Softie! :blush::heart:

Ahh Seventeen!! How I loved those...Yes that's a good point, I never got into the men's ties and argyle socks though I remember borrowing my grandfather's vest...and trousers and jacket too!:P Another favorite twist was wearing the look with a frilly cotton blouse for a girlish touch. Not that many people wore stripey socks in Japan either I don't think...I remember saving up for them and feeling so proud of them...I still have similar ones in red and white that I wear!!

Oliver Twist meets Cabaret--now there's a stylish thought...:heart:

Kuzukiri...mmmm delicious...craving really nice Japanese sweets, but Toraya is closed for renovation for another few months...

red/wht striped socks --> RAGGEDY ANN

yes- i did the victorian blouse thing too back then...
usually with a plaid wool midi skirt and a t strap low heel...

i remember having some navy leather ballet flats with a rubber sole and a kiltie...those completed the look with the knickers and argyle socks...
i LOVED those shoes...even if they only really went with that one outfit...
:lol:

runner---
those images are super kawaii...
coincidentally, i got my niece a pair of cropped jogging pants and got myself the same ones...
she was SO excited about us having the same thing...
adorable~!
:heart:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velvetmuse
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->